Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 AM

120 posts, read 325,697 times

Advertisements

Hanging a dummy with any persons picture is disrespectful. If it was a picture of me or someone I loved I would be totally creeped out and want the police to have long talk with the person. Should be no different for the President, he's a person too believe it or not. And for those who think it's ok because some dimwits did the same with Bush, that's lame. I believe I was taught early on, two wrongs don't make a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,669,678 times
I'm sure a lot of Americans were offended when George W was disrespected... the same with Obama. Does everyone have to be offended at the same time for it to be wrong?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 AM

642 posts, read 1,171,771 times
Strange Fruit, remembered. Very sad.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Strange Fruit, remembered. Very sad.
it is sad... politics brings out the worst in some people.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,877,068 times
Some people are just trashy like that. No doubt the display is tasteless, and very well could be racist. I can see why some would be upset. However, it's nobody's place to "demand" that the backyard display be removed. Some people should just learn to live and let live. There are, and always will be, classless, racist, hateful, mean, etc people in this world, period.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 AM

162 posts, read 228,956 times
A noose should be taken very serious. It's not just about being offended, it's about a time not that long ago that lynching was common and African Americans were walking on eggshells and living in fear. My grandmother ran from the south to NYC offer she seen one of her cousins lynched. It brings back fear and is so offensive.

BTW it doesn't matter if the person hanging on their was black, white, purple, or blue, it is still offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Poor taste? Yes. Offensive? Only if you are one of those people who constantly search for reasons to be offended.

Are we really going to make a big deal about some armchair political hack's tasteless political display during an election year on the tackiest holiday of them all? Really? Are we this bored? Are our lives so great, that this is the only thing we can find to complain about? Does everything have to be labeled "racist?"

Overreactions like this and the over-use of the word "racist" have cause the word to lose impact or meaning. "Racist" is becoming as hard-hitting as controversial words such as "is" & "the" and "cat."

Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Some people are just trashy like that. No doubt the display is tasteless, and very well could be racist. I can see why some would be upset. However, it's nobody's place to "demand" that the backyard display be removed. Some people should just learn to live and let live. There are, and always will be, classless, racist, hateful, mean, etc people in this world, period.

as long as they don't physically go in and remove it there is nothing wrong with demanding it be removed...

the guy wants a reaction...

Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,980,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abri07 View Post
A noose should be taken very serious. It's not just about being offended, it's about a time not that long ago that lynching was common and African Americans were walking on eggshells and living in fear.
The last documented lynching in NC took place 71 years ago and the vast majority of the 140 cases that did happen in this geographically large state, were before 1922. While tragic, it was never "common" and certainly not in the city of Charlotte.

A noose IS a common Halloween icon. Maybe there will be cries now to censor it out of existence was well.

IMO, people should remember, understand and learn from history but not make themselves captive to it.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,044 times
According to the article in the Observer, the homeowner put up a scarecrow with a pumpkin for a head for a Halloween party. Someone at the party put Obama's face on the head, but the homeowner didn't realize. He took it down right away.

It sounds like a simple case to me. It was disrespectful of the partygoer to put the President's face on the pumpkin (no matter who the President is), but I think there's a lot of overreaction going on.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 AM

642 posts, read 1,171,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
According to the article in the Observer, the homeowner put up a scarecrow with a pumpkin for a head for a Halloween party. Someone at the party put Obama's face on the head, but the homeowner didn't realize. He took it down right away.

It sounds like a simple case to me. It was disrespectful of the partygoer to put the President's face on the pumpkin (no matter who the President is), but I think there's a lot of overreaction going on.
Too much beer -- again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte