Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 AM

273 posts, read 1,339,995 times

Advertisements

Continuing from a members quote in another thread..

[quote=ncisgreat;1713712]First off, anyone seeing dogs wandering about needs to call animal control. The dogs will be returned to the owner with a warning if they have tags on. This is not only illegal, but a public safety issue AND a safety issue for the dogs.

quote]

Animal control is apparently a joke. As stated before, this has been a big problem in this area with dogs roaming out of peoples yards or just stray dogs roaming. When I originally called Animal Control, they told me that I had to get the dog contained myself and then they would come and pick it up. I then told my apt complex manager about this and she called AC. They told her the same, that the dog needed to be under control and contained before they would come and get it. Now I am scared of no dog, no matter the size or aggressiveness, but the average person cannot just walk up to a stray dog and "contain it" and wait for AC to come. Doesnt this defeat the purpose? So you're telling me if my 110 lb gf sees a 110 lb pissed off German Shep walking around that she needs to "contain" it then you'll come and get your paycheck for just putting the dog in your van? Get out of here. That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If I can contain it, then I'm keeping it or trying to find the owner myself, not calling AC sorry. And once again, its been hard enough getting my dog not to freak out when approached by other dogs (this being after I've socialized her pretty well). I dont need stray dogs charging her while shes on a leash and cant do anything but get scared or attack back. Maybe I'll start my own animal control, one where they actually do their job and dont expect someone to do 90% of the work for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:57 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,677,023 times
I've never heard of this nor have I experienced it. If they were to tell me I needed to contain it, I'd say sure no problem, but make sure you bring a body bag when you finally show up. Seriously though, I would call back to speak with his supervisor, it certainly makes no sense and they are in the wrong.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:35 PM

8 posts, read 57,639 times
I hate to confirm your animal control nightmares but.....I have a couple of horror stories from animal control.....and they are far worse than yours! My neighbor had a chow (no leash, no chain, no fence). This dog would come into my yard and stand next to my car barking and growling at me while I am on my property getting into my car. I called animal control 15 times on this mutt. I called the police 10 on my neighbors. I have a file an inch thick in case I had to pursue this in court. Even after the dog attacked my dog on my property...it still took 3 days to get animal control out here. Still, they did nothing but issue fines. Finally my neighbors did something really stupid and crossed onto my property with a rifle aimed at my dogs while trying to get their mutt. Then I had police reports and made a deal that they had to get rid of the dog before I would drop the charges.

My second story....I was attacked by a wild cat while walking my dog at my old apartment complex. The call to animal control started off with the AC operater laughing at me! Three weeks later the cat was still loose and taunting me everyday by sitting in front of my car in the parking lot, while animal control continued to tell me that they could not catch the cat after "trying so hard". I was then sent a letter by the city stating that I had to get rabies shots since the cat was never caught and tested for rabies (or I would be quarantined in my apartment for 30 days). THE CAT WAS NEVER CAUGHT, but can be seen playing with the neighborhood kids daily!

What's worse....AC isn't open on the weekends, and there is no rollover to another branch or department for the weekends. The good news is though....if you call the police department enough about the problems that aren't being handled properly by animal control...the department will begin to ride AC out of frustration of listening to your complaints.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 PM

23 posts, read 133,833 times
I actually had a good run in with Animal Control tonight...I called 311 about a stray dog, and they dispatched Animal Control right away. The Animal Control guy was hear about 20-30 mins later.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:06 AM

92 posts, read 318,204 times
I have counted 24 different dogs around my home in less than a year. 2 of which scared me. I've tried animal control and god bless 'em, they just can't get here in time. I'm shooting the next dog on my property that gets huffy with me.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:30 AM

673 posts, read 2,683,165 times
Somebody told me there are no leash laws in Union County. Is this true?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 AM

674 posts, read 806,525 times
I have had both good and bad experiences with AC. One bad experience is in regard to the fact they are under-funded and understaffed.

Second, one disturbing thing is that if a dog attacks your dog and your dog is not mortally wounded, the other dog only gets a WARNING unless there has been a call about that particular dog in the past. You can still pursue damages in civil court, but if it is the first reported incident on a particular dog, it will not be removed.

This is why it is important to call every time there is an incident or threatening encounter.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
Somebody told me there are no leash laws in Union County. Is this true?
I don't know about that. I called to register my dog with the county and they told me I didn't have to. Which I liked at the time....but now...jeez...just today I had a dog chase my car down the road...ran in front of the car and had me slam the brakes on a wet road...not cool....

Yesterday, I had to navigate around 4 dogs in the middle of the road....I pictured sheep crossing the road, but it was dogs!!!

Also, within the last couple days had to slow to a crawl for 5 different dogs on the side of the road that could have decided to cross the highway at any moment...

The dog situation is CRAZY in Union County....

Someone said they are understaffed....If this is true, rather than me chasing them off, how about I just call every time (which would be 4 times a day)...wouldn't an excess of calls justify funding for more officers??? Anyone familiar with the ins and outs of how local gov't works??

Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 PM

My second story....I was attacked by a wild cat while walking my dog at my old apartment complex.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think when dealing with AC...you need to say feral cat...don't know why buy this gets them AC folks acting serious.

If AC is unresponsive don't hesitate to punch a cat or when it jumps on your leg, fling it 200 ft across the yard. And when the ASPCA shows up, tell them it was a kick off your property or a 25 cent bullet. Even if you don't mean it, then at least they are scared enough to step in and remove the animal from harms way...

Roundabout way to justice but it works. It's not your problem...an animal lover is not made by renegade pets on their property....

Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 17,526 times
Default Union County Animal Control

If anyone has bad experiences dealing with Union County Animal Control, I would like to hear about it. Please write to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte