Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 AM

280 posts, read 741,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
Living in Ballantyne is different than in Waxhaw. Almost everything is close by in Ballantyne - groceries to car wash. Not many new homes being built over there. My assumption is that you will get more for your money if you live in Waxhaw/Marvin - variables considered being sqft and construction year. Moreover, Waxhaw is kind of spread out ( woods/stables here and there etc) where as Ballantyne is not. To me ballantyne living is more of urban living but some people may differ in opinion.

What is your budget for the house? That will help us tell you more.

I would suggest you come over here and stay in one of the Ballantyne apartments- Camden in ballantyne is good. There are others as well that are rated good. Staying in an apt/town home for 1- 3 months will give you a feel to select a certain location - Waxhaw/Marvin vs Ballantyne.

You might want to check Providence as well, since some of areas come under providence/Elizabeth schools, which are rated pretty high.

Waxhaw: Marvin elem and Sandy Ridge are rated excellent; Culbreth comes next in that area.
Ballantyne: End haven is decent; British Ameircan is a private school and its excellent; Hawk Ridge elementary.

I have experienced Sandy Ridge and Endhaven; both seem to be good. At the end of the day, I think it depends on the teacher that matters most
Thanks feng21 for such an informative post. I agree Ballantyne gives you the city living feel. I really liked how close everything is but Tthe homes were quite small for our budget (< 300k) and with 2 small children we need a little bit more space.
We are thinking as you suggested of an apartment or renting a house for a few months if we do not find a house of our liking when we come down again next month.
Both my kids are still in elementary school and I heard good things about most schools in the area.I agree a lot depends on the teacher a child gets but I would also like to know if the school offers services that our current schools has. Of importance to us is the Academically gifted program that one of our children is currently in. I would like to know if there would be testing again or if they would accept Wake county's identification. Lot to research so information from people on this board has been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM

985 posts, read 1,903,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
Thanks feng21 for such an informative post. I agree Ballantyne gives you the city living feel. I really liked how close everything is but Tthe homes were quite small for our budget (< 300k) and with 2 small children we need a little bit more space.
We are thinking as you suggested of an apartment or renting a house for a few months if we do not find a house of our liking when we come down again next month.
Both my kids are still in elementary school and I heard good things about most schools in the area.I agree a lot depends on the teacher a child gets but I would also like to know if the school offers services that our current schools has. Of importance to us is the Academically gifted program that one of our children is currently in. I would like to know if there would be testing again or if they would accept Wake county's identification. Lot to research so information from people on this board has been very helpful.
The Union County schools retested my middle schoolers when we moved they did so based on their advancement in classes where we came from. Not sure how Mecklenberg handles it. So yes, each school has a program fro your child/ren.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM

2,781 posts, read 5,177,415 times
Most likely kids would be re-tested for AIG program since it is a different school system (ours did), but best is to check with each school. If they qualify, all it is different is the more demanding AIG math and AIG English classes, the rest of the classes are same as everybody else.
Good luck!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,364,600 times
Testing is going to be an interesting situation this year since EOGs have been eliminated, and new testing standards will be applied at the end of the school year. No one knows exactly how that is all going to work.

Placement also strongly relates to space availability in the classroom. If the school is overcrowded as are many in the Ballantyne area, you may be limited as to where you place. Best to talk specifically to the individual school in question for exact answers. Ballantyne Elementary is at high capacity but not as overcrowded as Elon Park for example.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,189,508 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies.
We ae looking for a house that would cost less than 300K - atleast 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. We were in Charlotte last weekend looking at a few homes with a realtor. We looked at the Pulte Town homes at Ardrey Kell, resales at Stone Creek, Cureton and Hunter Oaks in Waxhaw. We liked both the areas but not any of the houses we saw.We saw single lane roads as we got out of Ballantyne and towards Waxhaw. I am guessing the commute to Ballantyne during rush hours would be another factor to consider Renting for a year seems to be a good idea.

Livinglavidaloca12 - I have just started the research so havent really gotten much info except that the elementary schools inboth areas are good. I need more info about the AG program the schools offer and how the implement it I plan on calling the schools and speaking to the AG coordinator.Will DM you as I get more information.
Take a look at maps.google.com to get an overview of the areas that you were in. On the Western side of Union County, the only multi-lane roads are Rea Road and Providence Road (NC 16). Everything else is single lane in each direction, yet somehow we manage.

I don't know the specifics of Cureton, but some of those subdivisions may fall into the Village of Waxhaw, with the extra tax to pay for the Waxhaw police cars (currently 34 cents/$100 in addition to your Union County tax). Compare that to Village of Marvin, which is adjacent, at 5 cents/$100 over the Union County tax rate. For a $300k house, that's a $870/year difference. Other nearby towns in Union County, Weddington, Wesley Chapel or Indian Trail are all at the low end of the tax spectrum compared to "Village of" Waxhaw. Keep in mind, however, that your house can be in Weddington, Wesley Chapel, Indian Trail, or Marvin and still have a Waxhaw mailing address.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 AM

810 posts, read 2,294,569 times
The Reserve (at Old Oak?) may just fit your description. It sits off of Newtown Rd. on the Marvin side. A quick trip down Marvin Rd will put you right into Ballantyne. Should be able to get in under 300k.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM

430 posts, read 805,352 times
Regarding Camden Ballantyne, I stayed there for two months after I moved here while we looked for a house. They had short leases at the time (we did a 3 month lease), but I would not want to live there for much longer. They did not care if the neighbors were loud. I had a baby who was woken up often, and they didn't really care. It was good for short term though.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 892 times
Hello Nclass. I assume you have been living in NC for some time now. We are planning to move to Charlotte area from Cleveland and have two school going kids. Would love to hear your opinion on schools/areas/comparison between Ballantyne and other nearby areas etc.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:39 AM

343 posts, read 601,752 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies.
We ae looking for a house that would cost less than 300K - atleast 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. We were in Charlotte last weekend looking at a few homes with a realtor. We looked at the Pulte Town homes at Ardrey Kell, resales at Stone Creek, Cureton and Hunter Oaks in Waxhaw. We liked both the areas but not any of the houses we saw.We saw single lane roads as we got out of Ballantyne and towards Waxhaw. I am guessing the commute to Ballantyne during rush hours would be another factor to consider Renting for a year seems to be a good idea.

Livinglavidaloca12 - I have just started the research so havent really gotten much info except that the elementary schools inboth areas are good. I need more info about the AG program the schools offer and how the implement it I plan on calling the schools and speaking to the AG coordinator.Will DM you as I get more information.
I live in Hunter Oaks and we LOVE IT! You are 5 minutes from Blakeney (and eventually Waverly Charlotte), plus you can get to Ballantyne in 10 minutes (15-20 in the height of rush hour). Marvin Ridge schools are top notch as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte