Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,672,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
It is the other way around. People are upset that people are allowed to insult anyone that isn't the aforementioned. It is the hypocracy that is the issue.
Whatever gets you through the day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:44 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,288,119 times
Quote:
It is the other way around. People are upset that people are allowed to insult anyone that isn't the aforementioned. It is the hypocracy that is the issue.
Lol, anytime you're ready to mentally teleport from the 1930s, it's ok. Black people were routinely insulted at work, school, etc on a regular basis with no recourse...this ain't 1930, 1950 or 1960 cause I will be damned if it'll be tolerated today. Seems hypocritical because it used to be the norm or matter of fact.....it's over, get used to it.

And anytime you freely toss around racial slurs in your little skin-head circle, it really says a lot of about your character. After all, the true definition of character is what you do when no one is looking.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,056,185 times
Quote:
Where on earth do you come from? Must be the boonies. Have you ever been to Boston, Chicago, Baltimore, or NYC? You are more likely to hear it there than here. It is generally taboo to use that particular word here as well. It has been my experience and observation that everywhere in the U.S. it is generally O.K. to insult people from other countries, ethnicities, and even homosexuals, but not blacks or Muslims.

I am regularly told by northerners that it is much more racist up north than here. Again, that has been my experience and observation as well.

For anyone to say that the "N" word isn't used up north is well beyond ridiculous.
having grown up in a city where there are more people from outside the US than those that are born here and in a neighbourhood where many different ethnicitys lived; using language like that would likely get you shot (or at least the snot beat out of you!). Not even the gangs talked like that! Even they know better.

There is more race/ethnic segregation up north as opposed to racism, which is much different.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,907,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, anytime you're ready to mentally teleport from the 1930s, it's ok. Black people were routinely insulted at work, school, etc on a regular basis with no recourse...this ain't 1930, 1950 or 1960 cause I will be damned if it'll be tolerated today. Seems hypocritical because it used to be the norm or matter of fact.....it's over, get used to it.

And anytime you freely toss around racial slurs in your little skin-head circle, it really says a lot of about your character. After all, the true definition of character is what you do when no one is looking.
I wish I could paint you a picture so you would have understood what I said, but it would be a useless effort. What you wrote has has nothing to do with what I said. For you information, in
"1930, 1940, or 1950, there weren't insults at work and school from whites since those places were segregated. Read a history book or ask your momma if you don't believe me. I suppose if one doesn't understand or know history, one can interpret and translate it however they wish.

To make an effort to clarify what I previously said, I will repeat as follows: It is not generally frowned upon to insult any ethnic group, religion, or homosexual lifestyle in today's society except blacks and Muslims. Anotherwords, it is taboo in the white community to say anything derrogatory about the last two. What I am saying that it is wrong to insult anybody, regardless of these features. A person should be judged on behavior exclusively. There should be absolutely no exceptions. I hope you can comprehend this.

Your eluding to name calling is a good example of the hypocracy for which I am discussing . FYI, I can't become a skin-head due to my ethnicity unless they have changed the rules.

In the words of the great philosopher Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along?"

Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
There is more race/ethnic segregation up north as opposed to racism, which is much different.
Different? But, they are segregated because of race/ethnicity? I might just be a simpleton, but when people chose to live separately in groups based on race/ethnicity, it seems to have some "racism" implications?

And trust me, I am not saying that it is wrong to live with your own, but is is contradictory to the unrational liberals that go are so obsessed with diversity just for the sake of diversity. I prefer to live in a predominately caucasian community because they generally (not always) live and raise their family in a manner that is pleasing to me. So, according to what you say, I am not racist and shouldn't feel that I am which isn't an issue anyway.

Bottom line, according to your posting, segregation is O.K. and not racist. Then, why did the north give the segregated south so much hassle in the earlier days? Things haven't really improved that much.

You can call me a racist if you wish, but I can assure you that I am not. I see reality. We are living in a world that is just as racist as ever. Kids might get along when they are 16 years old. Check them out when they are 40. Reality Reality kicks in. They even start enjoying 70s music.

Last edited by vindaloo; 11-27-2012 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,206,109 times
Quote:
every time I see your username I start singing Joe Strummer in my head.

Thanks, I liked Joe. RIP

Joe Strummer - Bhindi Bhagee - YouTube

The subject, coincidentally, seems germane to this thread...

Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,981,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

There is more race/ethnic segregation up north ....
Otherwise known as "Separate but Equal". The South has already been there and done that and got over it decades ago. I agree that accusations of racism would be difficult in an environment where people have self segregated themselves to the point where there is no contact between the races. I note that Chicago and Detroit are especially and noteworthy bad about this.

IMO, Blacks and Whites, especially among the poor in smaller towns, get along better in the South because they have had to.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times
Quote:
To make an effort to clarify what I previously said, I will repeat as follows: It is not generally frowned upon to insult any ethnic group, religion, or homosexual lifestyle in today's society except blacks and Muslims.
This is going off-topic, but the term "homosexual lifestyle" is in itself offensive. Is there a "black lifestyle"? A "Jewish lifestyle"? An Indian "lifestyle"? Gay accountants' "lifestyles" are a lot more like straight accountants' than they are to gay hairdressers' or gay truck drivers'.

Regarding the term YANKEE:

Most Southerners use it simply as a descriptor, a synonym for "Northerner" , which as chicago has pointed out, is said of Midwesterners about as far west as Minnesota, not just Northeasterners. The irony is that New Englanders call themselves Yankees with a great sense of pride! There is even a Yankee magazine! So clearly there is an association with regional identity. MOST of the time, it is simply used as "someone from the North" (often as judged by their recognizeable regional accent, whether New England, NY, Chicago, Wisconsin, etc).

Now, I am not denying that is CAN be a derogatory term as well, but that is more a matter of tone than the word itself. So you could say "My neighbors on the left came from Arkansas and my neighbors on the right are Yankees" and the tone/meaning is perfectly neutral, just a descriptor. You often hear Northerners themselves use it after awhile, even just among themselves as in "our whole street is all Yankee transplants" (so I'm told). But, there IS a deragtory usage which plays against negative stereotypes of Northerners: loud, pushy, strong Northern accent, in-your-face, argumentative, and (most of all) always complaining about what's different here than where they came from. Those who do not portray these traits or not in a stereotypical way will not generally get the "insulting tone" by being called 'Yankees' (the italics represent the "look" or tone that makes it clear it's an insult). Some also make the distinction between "Yankees" and "Damn Yankees" though again, there is often a joking tone to this (an old joke back int he 1970s when Northerners first began moving to NC in large numbers was "What's the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee?" A Damn Yankee stays." That is an offensive joke, but I have even hearad Northerners themselves reference it in a (presumably) joking way. It's like Jews telling Jewish jokes to non-Jews or even gay people telling gay jokes.

Short version: The Northern/Yankee and Southern distinction is usually more like simple "team rivalry" than anything else, like Duke fans vs UNC fans or even, as to make a Northern reference, Yankees vs Red Socks. Despite common myth, Southerners are NOT "still fighting the Civil War" any more than American are "still fighting the Revolutionary War" if they complain about British people.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 PM

27 posts, read 59,324 times
Quote:
Where on earth do you come from? Must be the boonies. Have you ever been to Boston, Chicago, Baltimore, or NYC? You are more likely to hear it there than here. It is generally taboo to use that particular word here as well. It has been my experience and observation that everywhere in the U.S. it is generally O.K. to insult people from other countries, ethnicities, and even homosexuals, but not blacks or Muslims.

I am regularly told by northerners that it is much more racist up north than here. Again, that has been my experience and observation as well.

For anyone to say that the "N" word isn't used up north is well beyond ridiculous.
LOL you are a funny one..WHen I was growing up I grew up right outside NYC in a very diverse neighborhood. Being white we would NEVER say the "N" word. I did sometimes here african americans call eachother that word. As an adult raising my family I live about 45 minutes from NYC in a more rural upper class overpriced town. I NEVER hear people use that word..It could just be the company I keep. I find any ethnic derogatory word very offensive and would never use them. Maybe I am green
My Moms new husband is from Virginia and he uses racial slurs all the time and it drives me NUTS...I would never choose to spend one minute with him if he were not married to my mother..
I would not care if someone called me a yankee.

I guess you can tell I am a pretty libreal gal...I believe same sex marriage too! I like reading everyones responses..I like how different we all are... Really getting excited for my husbands interview..I hope this all works out

But trust me...if you went to NYC and called someone that word....It would not be pretty no matter what neighborhood you were in..

Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
every time I see your username I start singing Joe Strummer in my head.

Thanks, I liked Joe. RIP

Joe Strummer - Bhindi Bhagee - YouTube

The subject, coincidentally, seems germane to this thread...
Sweet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte