Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-m-fan-of-life View Post
LOL you are a funny one..WHen I was growing up I grew up right outside NYC in a very diverse neighborhood. Being white we would NEVER say the "N" word. I did sometimes here african americans call eachother that word. As an adult raising my family I live about 45 minutes from NYC in a more rural upper class overpriced town. I NEVER hear people use that word..It could just be the company I keep. I find any ethnic derogatory word very offensive and would never use them. Maybe I am green
My Moms new husband is from Virginia and he uses racial slurs all the time and it drives me NUTS...I would never choose to spend one minute with him if he were not married to my mother..
I would not care if someone called me a yankee.

I guess you can tell I am a pretty libreal gal...I believe same sex marriage too! I like reading everyones responses..I like how different we all are... Really getting excited for my husbands interview..I hope this all works out

But trust me...if you went to NYC and called someone that word....It would not be pretty no matter what neighborhood you were in..
Thank you for varifying what I have been saying. Besides your father-in-law, you don't hear people in these parts using the "N" word either. in public. But, any time you listen to the T.V. or to black comedians, you hear endless, nor-restrictive insults towards all races, without any second thoughts and especiall towards whites, without any criticism. I think that is discusting and I feel that what is applicable to one race as far as being criticized for being racially insulting should apply to all.

We live in a mindless society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Thank you for varifying what I have been saying. Besides your father-in-law, you don't hear people in these parts using the "N" word either. in public. But, any time you listen to the T.V. or to black comedians, you hear endless, nor-restrictive insults towards all races, without any second thoughts and especiall towards whites, without any criticism. I think that is discusting and I feel that what is applicable to one race as far as being criticized for being racially insulting should apply to all.

Comedians? LOL... you have your priorities all screwed up.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
To make an effort to clarify what I previously said, I will repeat as follows: It is not generally frowned upon to insult any ethnic group, religion, or homosexual lifestyle in today's society except blacks and Muslims. Anotherwords, it is taboo in the white community to say anything derrogatory about the last two. What I am saying that it is wrong to insult anybody, regardless of these features. A person should be judged on behavior exclusively. There should be absolutely no exceptions. I hope you can comprehend this.
Well as Francois said (and PS I agree with him 100% about the usage of the term Yankee), the term "homosexual lifestyle" can probably be considered offensive. Nonetheless, are you suggesting that it is not frowned upon to insult homosexuals?

Quote:
Different? But, they are segregated because of race/ethnicity? I might just be a simpleton, but when people chose to live separately in groups based on race/ethnicity, it seems to have some "racism" implications?

And trust me, I am not saying that it is wrong to live with your own, but is is contradictory to the unrational liberals that go are so obsessed with diversity just for the sake of diversity. I prefer to live in a predominately caucasian community because they generally (not always) live and raise their family in a manner that is pleasing to me. So, according to what you say, I am not racist and shouldn't feel that I am which isn't an issue anyway.
Reading between the lines here, but is it just me or does it sound like you're basically saying here that you are in fact racist?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well as Francois said (and PS I agree with him 100% about the usage of the term Yankee), the term "homosexual lifestyle" can probably be considered offensive. Nonetheless, are you suggesting that it is not frowned upon to insult homosexuals?

Reading between the lines here, but is it just me or does it sound like you're basically saying here that you are in fact racist?
sketched out the blue print and dove right on in...

Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
I will try to answer some below, this is coming from a local that has longtime friends and connections to NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-m-fan-of-life View Post
Do you miss NJ/NY pizza or is there good pizza in Charlotte area??
I mean is it true that only Nj/NY has good pizza or is this just abnoxious
northern people making assumptions?? There is plenty of NY style pizza here now, especially with all the northerners that have moved down in the last few years. I have had plenty of pizza in NY as well as NY style pizza here in Charlotte and I cannot tell a difference.

How about bagels?? Do they have bagel shops?? Taylor ham and cheese on SUnday mornings??? A few shops are around, not as many as up north

What do they call subs?? Hoagies, grinders??? perhaps just a sandwich? A sub is sub to me.

Do you notice more smokers in this area? I live in NJ and no one I know smokes, there is no smoking in restaurants... ( I love ) if you hate cigerette smoke is it more of an issue in NC?? Will my kids become smokers...and BREAK MY HEART?? There are smokers in the area. The outskirts especially, remember NC has a strong history of tobacco farming and unfortunately smoking is in a lot of our roots. It is getting better though.

Will my NY Giants loving son get beat up in the fifth grade?? Okay, let me give some perspective on this one. Growing up in the South (before the Panthers) you were usually either a Dolphins or Redskins fan. Me.....I was a Giants fan as a kid. I remember my father being so annoyed with me because I would pull for the Giants against his Redskins. Back in the day the Giants were viewed as outsiders in the South but now there are plenty of Giants fans around, so there should be no issues.

My dd is a Jets fan so that is punishment enough! I am sorry to hear this.

Are people going to call me Yankee!
this is a funny true story...We were in Myrtle Beach. (my Mom lives there) We were trying to find a parking spot in Barefoot Landing and my Mom (I must admit NOT a great driver) Is smack in the middle of the lane and I guy rols down his window and yells "Go back to NY you Damn YAnkee" My 7 year old yells out the window..."She doesnt even play baseball" We laughed and laughed...My Mom has SC plates so I guess it was her bad driving that gave it away! Yes, locals will call you a yankee on occasion but for the most part it is out of love. Most of my friends now are Yankees and they are okay with me.

What do you miss most about up North?? What do you miss least?

I think I will miss my friends and my husbands family but will NOT miss 11k a year taxes for a bilevel built in 1972!

i MIGHT miss bagels

Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 AM

What's up with the "oh no's, no more bagels"

Is this a legit complaint or one of those things NYers do to let people know they are from NY.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
Irrational.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
A good bagel is amazing. There are a couple good places here though.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Comedians? LOL... you have your priorities all screwed up.
Priorities? I didn't know I was discussing priorities. Can you be specific and tell me what you are talking about?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
I agree with what your saying, but don't get how you come to this conclusion. You're referring to comedians! So I simply don't get how this often happens with many conservative people - just boggles my mind. Just because entertainers don't live by a set of rules you agree with, it does not make everyone "mindless"... or more specifically it doesn't make them any more mindless than the endless stream of FOX News talking points many feel compelled to share with everyone via FB (or <insert social media>). It's like "live and let live" takes a backseat... and just for the record I'm not exempting liberals from being guilty of this, too. The world isn't black and white anymore - it's all shades of grey.

As for bagels to the OP...
Even NY/NJ bagels aren't created equal. There are 2 ways to bake bagels... the cheap way via steam on parchment paper (which is rampant all over the NY metro these days because it's CHEAP) and the right way via kettle boiled and baked on wood blocks. The latter isn't easy to find like it used to be even in the "land of great bagels". I personally have found that you can find good bagels in Charlotte done the right way... certainly as good as or better than your average steam bagel shop in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte