Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 06:45 PM

17 posts, read 41,917 times

Advertisements

Hello can anyone tell me the best area of the lake that is good for waterskiing?

I am looking to live on the water.

I like Mooresville Schools.

I visited Lake Norman by the advise of this forum, and I loved it.

I am a little nervous of the areas where the "waterfront" is dried up.

Any advise or experience would be appreciated.

Thank You!

You Guys Are GREAT !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:00 PM

316 posts, read 395,701 times
The dried up problem is SO not normal - Disregard that issue from your mind. Trust me I have lived here all my life. Unless the world is ending - in that case waterfront or no waterfront (what do you care) A good waterskiing place is in any cove - or on the Davidson side of the lake (not many houses) -you would not want to ski in the open channel. Mooresville schools are great! Just make sure you do the drive if you chose a place off of Bawley school road. It is very busy. I hope this helps!!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 8,214 times
I work on Lake Norman...We are currently over 9 feet down. Very abnormal we have been in a severe drought all year. However if you look at the other lakes around you will see that some of them have there launch ramps closed. We can still use our lake. We are in a buyers market so great time to buy. You would be able to get a great deal on the lake right now!!!
Also, FYI Duke power owns the lake and they can at any time drop the lake up to 14 feet. Just thought I would inform you of that.
You will love this area. As PP wrote any cove you can ski in feel free just stay 100ft awat from the homes/docks.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,841,246 times
One good thing to do would be to pick up an accurate chart ok Lake Norman. You can easily get turned around if you don't know where you are.

A good place to check out would be lknfun Moderator cut: No other forum links . There is a forum there with info on events, things to do, places to go, etc. Most people there are helpful. And, if I recall correctl, there are a few waterskiiers there.

Some free advice from me is don't expect a smoth ride in anything less than 23 feet. I've dunked the bow of an 18-foot and a 21-foot bowrider out there on a weekend.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-19-2007 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-19-2007, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,607 times
My boyfriend and I are recreational skiers and find that Mt. Island Lake is much more suited to waterskiing. We tried skiing on Lake Norman and occassionally it was ok but most often it was just to choppy to have any kind of fun with it, not to mention the level of boat traffic.

If you were to ski on Lake Norman I would recommend you get it in during the week or in the early morning hours when there is not as much activity.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,672,311 times
There are plenty of coves where it is not so choppy. Just avoid the main channel where it can get really rough. Your best times are early morning or late evening when the water is glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte