Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,789 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm currently seeking out some info regarding the RN-BSN program at UNCC, I've already applied, seen the websites, and talked to faculty. Basically at this point I'm trying to see if there are any current or former students that can give me a feel for the program (ie difficulty, time commitment, cost for books, etc. ) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM

930 posts, read 2,163,445 times
My niece tried to get in a couple of years ago. Very competitive. It's on a point system. You have to have 30 credit hours, I believe, towards the degree before you can apply. You get points if those 30 credit hours were taken at UNCC. Then you get points for your GPA. They also give you points for community service or work experience. I went to orientation with her when she was a freshman. I sat through the speech. I am not sure how the other colleges do it, but I thought their point system was unfair. They told us that there was a girl that applied that had a 4.0 average from a community college. She had taken her 30 credit hours at the community college. Because of that, she lost points and did not get into the program. I don't know about you, but I would rather have someone with a 4.0 average taking care of me, I don't care where she got the education, than someone with a 3.2 that got in just because she earned enough points. When my niece was a sophomore, they changed the curriculum and didn't grandfather the students that were in pre nursing, so it would have taken her longer to apply for the program. I am not a fan of UNCC just because of this. I know it's all about politics and money and I think that is so unfair.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
My niece tried to get in a couple of years ago. Very competitive. It's on a point system. You have to have 30 credit hours, I believe, towards the degree before you can apply. You get points if those 30 credit hours were taken at UNCC. Then you get points for your GPA. They also give you points for community service or work experience. I went to orientation with her when she was a freshman. I sat through the speech. I am not sure how the other colleges do it, but I thought their point system was unfair. They told us that there was a girl that applied that had a 4.0 average from a community college. She had taken her 30 credit hours at the community college. Because of that, she lost points and did not get into the program. I don't know about you, but I would rather have someone with a 4.0 average taking care of me, I don't care where she got the education, than someone with a 3.2 that got in just because she earned enough points. When my niece was a sophomore, they changed the curriculum and didn't grandfather the students that were in pre nursing, so it would have taken her longer to apply for the program. I am not a fan of UNCC just because of this. I know it's all about politics and money and I think that is so unfair.
I can understand why you feel it is unfair but it is not "all about politics and money" at all.

There are several nursing programs in this area and they are all swamped with apps. All of the programs cannot possibly accommodate the students seeking nursing training/education. They have all had to come up with various ways of weeding out students. It is not unusual for a college/university to require xx amount of classes be taken on campus or from that institution. This goes on in many disciplines, not just in UNCC's nursing program.

All the programs in the area have very strict and difficult to meet requirements b/c they have to turn away more folks than they can accommodate. That is how in demand the training is.

It is not political and it has nothing to do with money. They just have to find various ways of weeding out the students. Those that follow the guidelines are the ones who get in.

It is as simple as that.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM

930 posts, read 2,163,445 times
I still don't feel that it is fair. A student that lives in a rural area, for example, can go to a community college and take the same classes to transfer into a four year college for less money per credit hour. So, to me that is about money. You spend more money at our school and we give you points. I think that is what the 4.0 student that they told me about had done. I still would rather have the smarter student taking care of me, rather than the one that got the points. That's all I'm saying.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times
Quote:
I still don't feel that it is fair. A student that lives in a rural area, for example, can go to a community college and take the same classes to transfer into a four year college for less money per credit hour. So, to me that is about money. You spend more money at our school and we give you points. I think that is what the 4.0 student that they told me about had done. I still would rather have the smarter student taking care of me, rather than the one that got the points. That's all I'm saying.
Truly, I understand.

And I understand about the money, as well.

But you are angry and saying it is political and has to do with money (i.e. ability to pay higher tuition) and it doesn't have anything to do with that at all.

I am not discounting your disappointment. But here's the thing . . . UNCC, like many colleges and universities, has every right to give preference to students who have taken their hours within their own programs, being taught by their own instructors, using their own curriculum, especially when the program involves patient care. Students will have already been evaluated by their instructors and that info will be in their student file.

It is really no different than allowing people within a corporation to have preference if a job opens up that would mean a promotion. The employee already has a track record with the company and that would only be fair.

I was told 6 years ago that all the nursing programs in western NC on average get so many applicants that they can accept only about 20% annually. It is highly competitive.

TO THE OP: My advice would be to apply to several different programs in hopes you are able to get into any of them. That is how competitive it is and how overwhelmed all the nursing schools are in this region.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,352,595 times
Quote:
I believe you might be mistaken about how a competitive admissions program works. Where does "money and politics" figure in? Neither a 4.0 GPA nor a "pre-nursing" guarantees admission to any professional program, be it nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, or medicine. You will never know why that particular student was not accepted into the nursing program.
Addendum: You think that because a student paid less tuition at a community college it affects their chances for acceptance into a professional program at a senior institution?! and you seriously believe that?

Last edited by mm_mary73; 02-12-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte