Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,982,615 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Greensboro too, and have driven back and forth to there from Charlotte probably a hundred times by now.

The climate is just a smidgen more "upland" than Charlotte. Fall comes about 5 days earlier and spring about 5 days later. It gets an inch or two more snow a year.

If you don't need professional sports and very tall downtown office buildings, Greensboro offers everything Charlotte does. OK, sometimes a big national act skips Greensboro and tours Charlotte instead -- but you can always drive to Charlotte for those exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,682,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
If you don't need professional sports and very tall downtown office buildings, Greensboro offers everything Charlotte does. OK, sometimes a big national act skips Greensboro and tours Charlotte instead -- but you can always drive to Charlotte for those exceptions.
This is not true. While Greensboro offers slightly above average for a city of its size, Charlotte offers much more in terms of shopping, dinning, daily activities, and overall more things that attract people every year.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 PM

I'm not arguing whether G'boro to CLT are "better". I've lived longer in CLT, but I would not feel like I'm giving up much if I moved to G'boro. There are plenty of fancypants specialty stores there too... ethnic restaurants... employers hiring highly trained people.

G'boro has a little more of a collegiate vibe due to the numerous universities there and students living around the town. UNCC is kind of subsumed into Charlotte.

I suppose G'boro doesn't quite have the eclectic NODA or Plaza-Midwood style neighborhoods in it, but it has interesting little intersections around the city where independent businesses set up. I always liked the west Spring Garden and Walker Ave areas.

There are more neighborhoods with nice Craftsman and Foursquare homes available for less money there, than what a buyer would face in Elizabeth or Dilworth in Charlotte.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,682,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I'm not arguing whether G'boro to CLT are "better". I've lived longer in CLT, but I would not feel like I'm giving up much if I moved to G'boro. There are plenty of fancypants specialty stores there too... ethnic restaurants... employers hiring highly trained people.

G'boro has a little more of a collegiate vibe due to the numerous universities there and students living around the town. UNCC is kind of subsumed into Charlotte.

I suppose G'boro doesn't quite have the eclectic NODA or Plaza-Midwood style neighborhoods in it, but it has interesting little intersections around the city where independent businesses set up. I always liked the west Spring Garden and Walker Ave areas.

There are more neighborhoods with nice Craftsman and Foursquare homes available for less money there, than what a buyer would face in Elizabeth or Dilworth in Charlotte.
I'm not taking anything away from Greensboro. I have good thoughts of the city for the future. Have you seen how many companies are adding jobs there?

But what I am saying is, Charlotte has everything Greensboro has, and then some.

Greensboro has an Apple store. That's exclusive to their metro. Not the case in Charlotte. I don't see LV's, Tiffany's or McCormick and The Cheesecake Factory setting up shop there, ect.

While those aren't needs for everyone, I wouldn't like the fact the nearest McCormick is an hour away, but that's just me.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Yeah, the OP probably would help the discussion to clarify what is important to *them*.

G'boro doesn't have a transit system that can compare to CATS. That could matter to some folks less car-centric than others. It has a nice park system, but they aren't connected by greenways like Charlotte's. etc etc

Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTfromCharlotte View Post
Wow, I didn't know that town had so much to it. It is seeming more and more appealing. I love that it's only 15 mins to everything.
Here's a couple of other links.

Mendenhall

More on Jamestown

Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 AM

183 posts, read 384,170 times
Honestly, just basic retail stores - Target, pet stores, etc- we're easy. We just had our first child so we aren't getting too crazy with bars and night clubs or anything like that :-)

Lately, a big night out for us is picking which Target to go to! We are probably most interested in a healthy variety of restaurants, if anything. Hopefully, we can get back to going out to eat sooner than later. LOL

Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 AM

Greensboro is moderately sized and not that far away. Just take a few weekends, go up and drive around. It's easier to get around in than Charlotte for a newbie, in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,562,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTfromCharlotte View Post
Honestly, just basic retail stores - Target, pet stores, etc- we're easy. We just had our first child so we aren't getting too crazy with bars and night clubs or anything like that :-)

Lately, a big night out for us is picking which Target to go to! We are probably most interested in a healthy variety of restaurants, if anything. Hopefully, we can get back to going out to eat sooner than later. LOL
If you choose Jamestown there is a Target and Pets mart and on that side of HP there is a dollar theatre and short distance to Emerald Pointe water park. Restaurants Greensboro has ton of them and from Jamestown head up on High Point road for Restaurant row. I recommend Darryl's for a fun local family restaurant.
I'm trying to keep this thread Charlotte related as I think questions about the area for relocation type questions should be address in the Triad forum.
Member QC dreamin made the Charlotte to Triad move.
The best part moving from one side to other is a breeze. However the traffic lights remind me of
Harris Blvd.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 AM

983 posts, read 1,636,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
This is not true. While Greensboro offers slightly above average for a city of its size, Charlotte offers much more in terms of shopping, dinning, daily activities, and overall more things that attract people every year.
100% agree. Moved from CLT to GSO and couldn't agree more with fltonc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte