Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 AM

84 posts, read 152,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
That's the thing about living in a city. More than one "crowd" can co-exist at the same place and time.
True, but unless they plan to park in SouthEnd and walk in, or take the LightRail in, they can forget about it. Since it'll take hours to get to the show. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
True, but unless they plan to park in SouthEnd and walk in, or take the LightRail in, they can forget about it. Since it'll take hours to get to the show. lol
hours? It's never taken more than 20 minutes to get into Uptown during CIAA. You must have picked a single lane road with an accident on it when you tried a few years ago.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
hours? It's never taken more than 20 minutes to get into Uptown during CIAA. You must have picked a single lane road with an accident on it when you tried a few years ago.
Nope....! No accidents. Eventually ended up at a hotel party at The Westin and you could see every major road leading into Downtown was bumper to bumper not moving. You must of went into Downtown around 6pm. After 7pm it was a mess.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
Nope....! No accidents. Eventually ended up at a hotel party at The Westin and you could see every major road leading into Downtown was bumper to bumper not moving. You must of went into Downtown around 6pm. After 7pm it was a mess.
Not sure what time but I use Monroe which turns into 7th. Hit some traffic but nothing major. Probably won't make it to any events this year. Maybe a day party on Saturday but I can't see spending $40 to $60 to get into a place unless someone is performing.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Not sure what time but I use Monroe which turns into 7th. Hit some traffic but nothing major. Probably won't make it to any events this year. Maybe a day party on Saturday but I can't see spending $40 to $60 to get into a place unless someone is performing.
That was my thinking too, that somebody was performing, but nobody was. I even knew the door guy and he said he was surprised as well and couldn't do anything about it since everybody was paying it. Never thought about 7th street, that's a good way to get in. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
That's the thing about living in a city. More than one "crowd" can co-exist at the same place and time.
God forbid some people have to interact with a collegiate basketball tournament attendees which happens to be comprised of mostly historically black colleges and universities......and for the record, this is Bill Maher's crowd.

Uptown has plethora of ingress and egress points, I've never had a problem.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
CIAA Commissioner says Tournament could move:

".....CIAA commissioner says there aren't enough hotels, and that could cost Charlotte the tournament the Queen City has hosted for the last eight years. "We still haven't been able to take care of our teams the way that I'd like to; they are spread out all over the city and I would like to figure out a way to get teams closer to the venue. That’s part of their experience as well," Commissioner Jacque Carpenter said.
Charlotte's contract to host the tournament is up after next year, but cities will start bidding to host future tournaments next month.
Carpenter added, "We should know by this summer where we're going and if it’s Charlotte, that’s because Charlotte is able to do all the things we need to do to have a great tournament, and if it’s somewhere else that’s fine."
[LEFT]
Read more here: CIAA commissioner: Tournament could move | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]

CIAA commissioner: Tournament could move | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
I think this is a ploy to get more money from the taxpayers. Business owners are also reporting that sales are down this year. It's not something that usually happens when the place is filled to capacity.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
CIAA Commissioner says Tournament could move:

".....CIAA commissioner says there aren't enough hotels, and that could cost Charlotte the tournament the Queen City has hosted for the last eight years. "We still haven't been able to take care of our teams the way that I'd like to; they are spread out all over the city and I would like to figure out a way to get teams closer to the venue. That’s part of their experience as well," Commissioner Jacque Carpenter said.
Charlotte's contract to host the tournament is up after next year, but cities will start bidding to host future tournaments next month.
Carpenter added, "We should know by this summer where we're going and if it’s Charlotte, that’s because Charlotte is able to do all the things we need to do to have a great tournament, and if it’s somewhere else that’s fine."
[LEFT]
Read more here: CIAA commissioner: Tournament could move | CharlotteObserver.com[/LEFT]

CIAA commissioner: Tournament could move | CharlotteObserver.com
I doubt it. Sounds like more of a logistics/coordination issue for teams than hotel capacity. Charlotte is an ideal location unless they go to DC for a bigger venue; but that' a risky and costly move. Most of the schools are in NC and VA so it'll land in on of those two states.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Work. Did anyone see the Able Bail Bond Party Bus last night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte