Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:01 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Compared to Buffalo, gas is MUCH cheaper in Fort Mill. Taxes are MUCH cheaper for property tax. You have to pay a car tax in NC/SC so that sux. Car insurance can't be compared because I had a lot of tix and was youunger in WNY, but it went up after moving from NC to SC. I don't care what anybody says; groceries even out in the long run. Also, in WNY, the salt and cold weather are hell on your car and your car rusts, brake lines snap, gas lines rot out, bolts fall off, etc, so even with the car tax, operating a car here is cheaper. Water is somewhat high for me because I am outside of town limits, but it's not "expensive." My utilities are much cheaper here. Have you ever had a $700 heating gas bill for a 1300 sq foot house even WITH visquine (plastic) on the windows. To me Charlotte area is cheaper and I make 2x as much here as I did in WNY. And I also agree that winter clothing is cheaper cuz all you need is a coat (usually).

Not all too accurate, but fun to play with

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Also, do not forget you don't have heating bills that take a year to pay off. Atleast we have about 3-4 months where it chills down or get's cold enough to snow but nothing where your on a payment plan until your 5th child is 19. It's crazy up there. Water is cheaper but your surround by it.

One thing that would keep me away from moving back to NY is the senator. Her last name is very famous, just don't like those politicans or snow.

Plus, up there you still work in a noreaster, just suck it up and leave 3 hours earlier then normal. Atleast Charlotte becomes myham nad it's so much fun to watch the people spin out and try to drive in the treterous conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 PM

33 posts, read 98,920 times
I think it depends. We moved from Chicago and our rent went down three hundred dollars and we have twice as much space here. Also I was offered a job making the same amount I made in Chicago. Eating out at nice restaurants is literally fifty percent less here than it was in Chicago. We eat at great places and it cost 20-45 dollars. In Chicago it was impossible for two to eat out at less than 100 bucks.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:43 PM

42 posts, read 146,730 times
I'm from MA and I think the cost of living is much cheaper here. We can afford a much nicer home, our utility bills have been lower and gas is cheaper. As for groceries, we just try and buy things on sale etc. I think it all depends on where you came from.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:56 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Also, do not forget you don't have heating bills that take a year to pay off. Atleast we have about 3-4 months where it chills down or get's cold enough to snow but nothing where your on a payment plan until your 5th child is 19. It's crazy up there. Water is cheaper but your surround by it.

One thing that would keep me away from moving back to NY is the senator. Her last name is very famous, just don't like those politicans or snow.

Plus, up there you still work in a noreaster, just suck it up and leave 3 hours earlier then normal. Atleast Charlotte becomes myham nad it's so much fun to watch the people spin out and try to drive in the treterous conditions.
Oh, yes I remember those Payment Plans. Turn the heat on in November thru April; pay all year for it. That senator's famous hubby is going to be in Rock Hill Monday at 4pm.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:50 PM

41 posts, read 106,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
I did not have Con-Ed, but had LIPA and they charged every two months? Was Con-Ed that way too, or every month? Because then the bills would be about the same! Just questioning.
We to had LIPA. Our bills are so much cheaper then LI...except WATER!

All & all a nice place to live but I really want to visit Long Island but my husband says "NO". I miss my best friend Sheila!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 AM

235 posts, read 730,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
I did not have Con-Ed, but had LIPA and they charged every two months? Was Con-Ed that way too, or every month? Because then the bills would be about the same! Just questioning.
It was every month...my heart would literally do flip flops knowing the bill would be in the box at any moment!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:51 AM

84 posts, read 492,603 times
This is why we're moving to NC from LI - Our property taxes are 11K (and believe me, we have no property), Homeowner's Ins - $2100, Auto Ins - $2800, LIPA (electric) $461 a month!, Gas - $89 (a month). Our water bill is quarterly and runs approx $115 - $230 depending on the time of the year. Could expenses possibly be more in NC?

Old 10-28-2007, 12:51 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,793 times
I suspect your water bill will be higher here, but doubtful that the others will even come close...we moved 9 years ago and for monthly bills we are still paying less than we did in NY (for everything except water) at prices nine years ago...

Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 6,812 times
I agree that housing and insurance are cheaper, however daycare, state taxes and the food are horrible. I had never paid taxes on food until I got here. I do feel it is a better way of life and many will enjoy it. But, like the other person said, some may be in for a rude awakening if they only come for that reason (cost of living). Most professional jobs have comparable salaries, and if you move here with your current job it is comparable as well. The jobs however are hard to come by.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 10,435 times
Default More Bang for your Buck

Living in Charlotte is cheaper, or lets just say you get more bang for you buck. Some industries and careers the pay is very comparable. But what you pay for a studion in NYC $1000 to $1300, you could be renting or owning a 3br 2ba house in Charlotte. Car insurance is a lot cheaper, groceries are cheaper, cigarettes are cheaper, dinner and drinks at restaurant are cheaper. I dont think the orginartor of this post is being realistic, sounds like to me, he doesnt have his finances in order. Now if you are talking about comparing Charlotte and cities like Buffalo, Albany or Rochester NY etc. then you might have a valid point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte