Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times

Advertisements

So, either the four municipal bodies that voted for a resolution to strip Charlotte of it's authority over the airport are very brave (after all why did they need to have a vote to begin with) or very stupid if they thought they could do so without discussing it with the City AND not have it affect regional cooperation.

In other words, work to take our airport control away, don't expect us to be very excited about your little by-pass projects.

The regional transportation commission (formally MUMPO) is weighted by population. In other words, Charlotte is the 600lb gorilla.

"The implied threat Monday from Charlotte City Council members, to withdraw support for the proposed Monroe Bypass, is more fallout from an increasingly fractious local political battle over control of Charlotteā€™s airport. And now, that battle might be putting at risk some long-nurtured regional cooperation."

Now, since having the votes at say the county level of these other governments probably didn't sway much, I think it would have been better for them to sit down and shut up.

Surely, no politician is stupid enough not to see POLITICS in their decisions but also not stupid enough to pick a fight with the City. Either way, someone is either willing to risk a lot in order to stand up to the humongous issue of an airport in tremendous disarray (sarcasm) or they didn't think very much at all when it came to fixing something not broken.

Regional cooperation at risk? | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
The fact of the matter is that every time Charlotte wages a war against its neighbors and the state gets called in to fix it, Charlotte loses big time. If CLT starts these kinds of wars, guess where these other places are headed? Charlotte has 0 power against the state. It's time they figure this out.

I've said before the current city council and Mayor are collectively are the worst at running this city that I can ever remember. The decisions are reckless, petty, juvenile and they continue to damage their larger reputation in this state which is something that is not good for Charlotte.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The fact of the matter is that every time Charlotte wages a war against its neighbors and the state gets called in to fix it, Charlotte loses big time. If CLT starts these kinds of wars, guess where these other places are headed? Charlotte has 0 power against the state. It's time they figure this out.

I've said before the current city council and Mayor are collectively are the worst at running this city that I can ever remember. The decisions are reckless, petty, juvenile and they continue to damage their larger reputation in this state which is something that is not good for Charlotte.
I'm trying to recall which battle Charlotte has "lost big time" because of THE STATE.

I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times
Quote:

Wages or starts? Or do you mean something besides the airport authority? Surely the four counties didn't pass resolutions to take away airport control in retaliation for CMPD taking over policing.

As for the council, the mayor and Dulin are out though I think I'll miss the latter.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,266,014 times
Charlotte is not waging war. Charlotte is being attacked by spiteful Bob Ruccho and his cronies. The only reason he's given for an airport authority is that the city "maybe" won't be able to handle the airport in the future. Bob Ruccho has a personal, hidden agenda that he's been able to successfully hide. He's powerful enough in the legislature to pull the sheep behind him.

In the original plan, the authority would also take over other municipal airports in Lincoln, Iredell, and Union Counties. But once Ruccho's bullies assured the surrounding counties that they would be able to keep control over their own airports yet share control over Charlotte's airport, they agreed to support the takeover. The counties that voted in support of the regional authority truly are hypocrites!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Charlotte is not waging war. Charlotte is being attacked by spiteful Bob Ruccho and his cronies. The only reason he's given for an airport authority is that the city "maybe" won't be able to handle the airport in the future. Bob Ruccho has a personal, hidden agenda that he's been able to successfully hide. He's powerful enough in the legislature to pull the sheep behind him.

In the original plan, the authority would also take over other municipal airports in Lincoln, Iredell, and Union Counties. But once Ruccho's bullies assured the surrounding counties that they would be able to keep control over their own airports yet share control over Charlotte's airport, they agreed to support the takeover. The counties that voted in support of the regional authority truly are hypocrites!
Well stated.

WTF is Rucho's beef?

Old 04-20-2013, 02:20 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'm trying to recall which battle Charlotte has "lost big time" because of THE STATE.
One I remember very well involves the Mecklenburg county food & beverage tax. Charlotte & the 6 towns petitioned the NC state government to allow this tax as it would allow construction & support of the Charlotte Convention Center and thus be good for the entire county. Once the tax was approved, the towns discovered that CLT took used the tax money being collected for the Convention Center to back new debt that was then being used to pay for other CLT only projects. The towns objected, CLT said too bad. The towns went back to the state and asked to keep their share of the tax since CLT wasn't working with them. CLT protested, State said CLT, you lose and gave the tax control back to the towns.

Another that I'm familiar with involves the "sphere of influence" agreement between the towns & CLT. This agreement involves annexation of the county by the 7 municipalities. Richard Vinroot as Mayor tried to have the agreement tossed as he claimed that when the agreement was made CLT (1960s) was a much smaller place. He was especially appalled that Huntersville, Cornelius, & Davidson controlled ~1/5 of all the county's land. State basically told CLT "go pound dirt".

When a small town or one of the other counties goes to the state to claim they are being "bullied" by the 600 lb gorilla (OP's description), it gets a very sympathetic ear.

Thus, IMO, when CLT goes to the state against the municipalities, it loses. I blame the city council and especially the Mayor(s) present & past, for being too insular and not attempting to engage the state more on better terms.

Last edited by frewroad; 04-20-2013 at 02:30 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 AM

241 posts, read 304,316 times
Quote:
I agree. I do not want idiots running anything that has a huge affect on our economy, security or health. That means that the mayor and his council need to control something they can handle which even excludes themselves. Send the to Washington and and let them be with others with the same intellectual capabilities. They could build a one way trolley to D.C.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 AM

This hasn't been my favorite mayor/council... but I fail to see where they've demonstrated gross incompetence. Folks love the drama of hyperbole, don't they...

If the street cars is your answer to that question, don't bother. The only existing street car rail in the ground was constructed years ago and no one gave it a second thought. On any normal year the street car initiative gets passed without a second thought. Normal years will be a few more years away though, thanks to the tea party's new focus on class warfare.

#fthepoor
#whatsmineismine
#gettowork
#fghettowork

Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 AM

235 posts, read 307,365 times
Quote:
I agree 100%

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte