Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:50 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Regional planners ask: What will we look like in 2050? | CharlotteObserver.com

...Just thought it was a very interesting to read and wanted to share, see everyones opinion on our great city and towns in our msa.

Also the mayor of rock hill wants to see light rail come to rockhill. How would that work being in another state. Would sc not help or would they be on board.
There would have to be some sort of multi-jurisdictional-quasi-bistate-public-benefit-corporate-agency setup to fund and run whatever crosses state lines. This would be similar to the way the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey runs PATH trains between NY and NJ or the way the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) runs trains to and from NY and Connecticut and contracts out some lines to NJ Transit.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM

601 posts, read 964,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Forget the streetcar (which I oppose) or the light rail (support); any chance we can get 485 completed by 2050??????????
Really? This section has been under construction since 2011, and will be completed by late next year at the earliest.

Also, related to the Rock Hill rail comment, there is a possible route for the High Speed Rail to run through Rock Hill, up from Columbia. Though honestly I see the I-85 corridor routes getting picked first, it is interesting that rail through Rock Hill is being considered (and was in the past).

http://dot.ga.gov/travelingingeorgia.../StudyArea.pdf

Old 06-05-2013, 04:48 PM

279 posts, read 448,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Also, related to the Rock Hill rail comment, there is a possible route for the High Speed Rail to run through Rock Hill, up from Columbia. Though honestly I see the I-85 corridor routes getting picked first, it is interesting that rail through Rock Hill is being considered (and was in the past).
The routes were picked for HS rail way back when Clinton was still in office. There isn't a route planed between Charlotte & Columbia. (I think there should be)

Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 AM

834 posts, read 1,017,081 times
With the level of intelligence of the budget commitee, don't count on this.

Would be nice to go that fast south without the inflation of the airlines..

Old 06-06-2013, 01:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
My guess about the future is the USA will be forced to decentralize somewhat. The trend will be employment moving to smaller firms in more suburban places then the center of cities. Tech advancements mean telecommuting will grow while traditional offices will decline. These rail lines may never be needed.
I've heard this refrain for at least a decade now and while the suburbs continue to attract jobs as they grow, so have central cities. This only strengthens the connection between the city and its suburbs, resulting in higher levels of development even to the point where the suburbs seek to urbanize. This is why the expansion of Metro in the DC area out to Tyson's Corner is such a huge deal.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've heard this refrain for at least a decade now and while the suburbs continue to attract jobs as they grow, so have central cities. This only strengthens the connection between the city and its suburbs, resulting in higher levels of development even to the point where the suburbs seek to urbanize. This is why the expansion of Metro in the DC area out to Tyson's Corner is such a huge deal.
Everyone keeps trying to predict the decline of central cities but it never happens...

Even if the suburbs continue to grow it won't replace centralized business downtown...this is why rail is a smart idea.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 PM

279 posts, read 448,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think you are confusing a bubble with a long term trend. I was answering the OPs question about 2050.

Charlotte's central business consists of 3 TBTF banks and a regulated power company. There are less people working there than 40 years ago. As a % of the metro it is far less.

40 years from now it's going to be radically different. Nobody can predict the future, but the idea that workers will all have to commute to the city to work is a mid 20th century concept. I predict that technology will change the way people work in the future including where they might do it.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:56 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
SC and the other towns don't want to build rail to the center of Charlotte. They think their money is better spent developing their own local economies. Charlotte doesn't support rail to the suburbs. The CATS Red Line isn't happening, but Charlotte pulled out the stops for the streetcar.

My guess about the future is the USA will be forced to decentralize somewhat. The trend will be employment moving to smaller firms in more suburban places then the center of cities. Tech advancements mean telecommuting will grow while traditional offices will decline. These rail lines may never be needed.
The Reverse is happening all over the US , Suburban office parks are dying with Urban Reinvestment is booming...its cheaper to have things centralized then all over the place....this applies to housing aswell. Sprawl in the Northeastern US has all but stalled at least below older Urban and Suburban areas which for the first time in decades over took those Auto-Centric areas. The Suburban office parks are being demolished in most places and new Condo or apartment developments are going up. Telecommuting hasn't caught on and doesn't appear to be elsewhere in the world. Even in High tech areas like Singapore , Tokyo and Shanghai its not all that popular. Same with the Northeastern US which sets the trends for the rest of the country....

Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
I think you are confusing a bubble with a long term trend. I was answering the OPs question about 2050.

Charlotte's central business consists of 3 TBTF banks and a regulated power company. There are less people working there than 40 years ago. As a % of the metro it is far less.

40 years from now it's going to be radically different. Nobody can predict the future, but the idea that workers will all have to commute to the city to work is a mid 20th century concept. I predict that technology will change the way people work in the future including where they might do it.
Source please.....

Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
^ I believe it was his "guess" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte