Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times

Advertisements

My children attended Charlotte Latin until this summer. There are a myriad of factors that can affect when your children get admitted. Kindergarten, sixth grade, and ninth grade are the three years when class size increases and spots open up. Of course, attrition means that spots can open at any time (eg: we opened up three spots in the middle of summer)

I have a good friend whose son was admitted to Latin the day before school started because a spot had opened up.

Both Latin and PDS have buses. They also have bus stops in common, so I'd ask both schools for a list of their bus stops for some guidance regarding house hunting.

As for making friends, one of my daughter's best friends came to Latin in the third grade, and has a lot of friends there. Most of the people there are very nice and very friendly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I cannot speak specifically to these schools, but I can tell you that in looking at things like financial aid for expensive private universities for our kids, we make enough to not qualify for any adjustments, finacial grants, etc....but not enough to actually live and send our kids there without loans. I am not really sure what qualifies for middle or upper middle class these days, but we do quite well, but could not pay $60K for tuition per year.

But I do have a connection at Latin that I could ask how they base grants. My guess is that it includes things like being exceptional in a sport or academic strength.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Kind of a silly question until the kids take the entrance exam and see the test results. All the private schools in the area are good.
As far as affording the schools, that should be a non issue. Each school has financial assistance and are more than willing to help those who ask. It is a social stigma to ask for assistance to a private school because everyone thinks that the kids who go there are from wealthy upper class families, not true. Ask and I bet you shall receive.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
Had you considered Country Day? It's a very good school, not far from PDS. Since they are the oldest independent school, they might have a bigger endowment and thus more financial aid.

I do think that you probably have to have academically talented kids to get financial aid.

Last edited by BarbJ; 11-05-2007 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 07:15 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
I'm not sure how this thread got going on "financial aid." Don't get me wrong, I sure wouldn't turn it down - who wouldn't! But, we don't actually NEED it and I didn't mention it in my original post. I'm mainly concerned with how probable or improbable it is to get my two daughters accepted into one of these private schools at the same time! BTW, thanks to everyone for all the good feedback so far

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM

56 posts, read 221,382 times
It is really hard to answer that question. Every year has a different number of sibilings, they get first dibs, and every year there is a different number of transfers. I am sure that is why the schools can't commit because until they get in the sibiling request, and they have to test too, they don't know the number of spots. One thing is it is good to get on the waiting list, even if you think it might be a year. My children go to Charlotte Christian, but we have friends at both of the great schools that you mentioned. At Latin, our friends were on the waiting list for a year and a half. They took the spot when it opened up at Christmas time. The next year the sibiling didn't make it in due to testing, so they are going to try again for school year 08/09.

Many people move their kids for middle or high school, because we have many great elementary schools, so sometimes there are more openings in lower school. Just don't give up if you don't get in, because you will in time.

We live within walking distance to Latin, we go to Christian which is near Providence Day. It takes me 25 mins to get the kids to school in the morning. 10 mins to get home in the afternoon. It really isn't that big of a deal, live where you like! Like mentioned before, both of those schools offer some busing, Christian does not.

Good luck, you wont go wrong with either school! Welcome to your future home!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:16 AM

Thanks for your input!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I am sorry. I think this was my fault. I said I haven't even looked at these schools because we couldn't afford 3 children to go there and it went on from there.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I'm not sure how this thread got going on "financial aid." Don't get me wrong, I sure wouldn't turn it down - who wouldn't! But, we don't actually NEED it and I didn't mention it in my original post. I'm mainly concerned with how probable or improbable it is to get my two daughters accepted into one of these private schools at the same time! BTW, thanks to everyone for all the good feedback so far

Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 AM

24 posts, read 95,572 times
Default Application Process

MJ--
We are looking to send our kindergartener to Providence Day or Charlotte Latin (we hope anyway). We just had a tour at both schools when we were visiting two weeks ago (relocating from DC) and we were told at Providence Day they receive 3 to 4 applications per spot available. Charlotte Latin's admissions director said the same thing. Good luck! We hope all goes well for our daughter to start there in Fall 2008.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:05 PM

Hmmmmm...Guess our chances are less than 50% Oh well, let's keep our fingers and toes crossed! Thanks so much for the input. MJ

Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 AM

41 posts, read 150,258 times
Default Our experience at Providence Day

My oldest daughter was at Providence Day for four years, starting in 3rd grade. We loved the school and would have kept her there if we had not relocated. We applied to both Country Day and Providence Day but she was only accepted at PD. The testing was different at the two schools and she did significantly better on the PD test.

If independent education is your desire, I would apply to all the schools to maximize your chances of getting in. The big three are all good schools but as a PP stated, the demand is so high in Charlotte for private school that the supply can't keep up.

I have two friends with kids at Charlotte Prep and they are happy there. Keep in mind; however, that the school is relatively new and very small. Charlotte Christian has a good reputation as well.

When we were in Charlotte, we also had experience in the Catholic school system and we were happy with that. Good luck - I hope you get into the school of your choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte