Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM

40 posts, read 76,767 times

Advertisements

There is a lot more flesh and little seeds with Roma, so I think that is why my family uses them.
Momtothree - grand Asia said $20 for 30 pounds, but I am going to go and see if I can get a better deal on about 150 pounds. I gave my number to a few at Audrey Kell and hopefully they will call me. Will follow up next week! Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I am so glad someone had leads for you! I hope you are able to work it all out . . . :-)

Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Hope you find it there! Let me/us know if you do, I will head over there too next week and ask. Now that you got me hankering to make sauce!

As for why with Roma, I actually like em best. Thick with little juice/seeds, they are perfect for sauces. I find once they are roasted and cooked down (I roast first) it really doesn't make a huge difference in flavor. It's when they are fresh that I taste a huge diff from romas and heirlooms. Or if they are the star of the show with little else to deter from the taste. But that's for another board. Back on topic and sorry for the derail!
I was enjoying the "de-rail!" I have never roasted my tomatoes b/c canning so I was learning something from your info . . . maybe we need to start a "canning in Charlotte" thread, lol!!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroitalian View Post
There is a lot more flesh and little seeds with Roma, so I think that is why my family uses them.
Momtothree - grand Asia said $20 for 30 pounds, but I am going to go and see if I can get a better deal on about 150 pounds. I gave my number to a few at Audrey Kell and hopefully they will call me. Will follow up next week! Thank you again!
I love Grand Asia and there's an excellent restaurant in there too. I hope you find some at AK! I might go for that 30 pounds deal as I don't make that much. Not organized enough.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I was enjoying the "de-rail!" I have never roasted my tomatoes b/c canning so I was learning something from your info . . . maybe we need to start a "canning in Charlotte" thread, lol!!!!
I just need to learn to can! I have been seeing so much of it lately with friends and online, I need to get on the wagon. So that thread would be welcome! I am waiting for the clearances on the canning supplies so I can buy some stuff.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I just need to learn to can! I have been seeing so much of it lately with friends and online, I need to get on the wagon. So that thread would be welcome! I am waiting for the clearances on the canning supplies so I can buy some stuff.
I learned to do tomatoes as my first canning project - while in high school - cause I was told - they are the easiest thing to can and I do think that is right! So it would be a great way for you to jump in!!!

Yes, get your supplies on sale . . . and if you don't have a canner - start looking for that. One of my friends found hers at a yard sale (not a pressure canner - I don't use a pressure canner myself).

Anyway (with more apologies to Marlboro for my de-rail) . . . hope you do try it out!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 PM

279 posts, read 447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
One of my friends found hers at a yard sale (not a pressure canner - I don't use a pressure canner myself).
I got my pressure canner off ebay years ago. It is a 22 qt. USA made Mirro. It was a wedding gift that had never been used.

For those who do not know why you would get a pressure canner over water bath canning here is some info.

The big advantage of a pressure canner is that it is so much faster than water bath canning. You don't have to heat gallons of water to boiling and the processing time is a lot less. The shorter processing time results in higher quality.

It also allows you to can low acid foods (vegetables, beans, anything with meat in it, etc.) which you can't do in a water bath canner. Occasionally I will make a huge batch of BBQ baked beans from scratch that include a trip to the smoker. It's an all day long process so these get canned. A pressure canner makes it possible.

I highly recommend a pressure canner if you start to do a lot of pressure canning. I grew up in a household that used them and my grandparents did before that so I was used to using one. We ate stuff all winter long with stuff canned from the garden when it was in season.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 PM

40 posts, read 76,767 times
My mother in law just called from NJ - $21/bushel there - wahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Tomatoes are the easiest, I throw a piece of fresh basil in there too. I don't personally do the pressure canner or bath. Never needed to and never had a problem. Give them a try, there is nothing like fresh sauce!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 AM

279 posts, read 447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroitalian View Post
... I don't personally do the pressure canner or bath. Never needed to and never had a problem. Give them a try, there is nothing like fresh sauce!
Famous last words....

You can only kill your family & friends once. Go look up how many people have died from botulism poison because they felt the science didn't apply to them. Those old recipes are simply not safe these days with the huge variation of modern tomatoes and especially when you don't grow the tomatoes yourself.

For anyone else reading this please do not can tomatoes (or anything else) without using a USDA approved water bath or pressure canning process. You take a huge risk of botulism contamination and one bad jar can easily kill several people. Proper & safe home canning techniques have been known for 80 years. It's a shame they don't teach it in the schools anymore.

Botulism can't be detected, will kill you and your loved ones, so don't take the risk. Don't not give it a try unless you are willing to do it properly.

---------------

BTW, the best book on this is the "Ball Blue Book of Preserving". You can find it at Walmart or on-line and it clearly explains everything you need to know.

Last edited by Barфsa; 08-07-2013 at 02:00 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Just returned from a trip up north (Chicago-area) and the prices on produce are much, much cheaper. Never know why this is. There are also more people who do this type of thing, so, there is more of a market for it.

I simply freeze my tomato sauce or tomatoes for use in chili, etc. Much easier & simple to use later as I use various sized freezer bags. That way, I don't have to open a quart jar if all I need is a small amount.

PS: I grow my own romas. I now have a TON of green ones on the vine, not any red ones yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte