Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:17 AM

40 posts, read 76,820 times

Advertisements

We just moved to the Ballantyne area and I am looking for them by the bushel to can for sauce. The NC farmers market is about $40/bushel. I used to pay about $20. Any ideas where to find them less expensive? Thank you in advance, much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroitalian View Post
We just moved to the Ballantyne area and I am looking for them by the bushel to can for sauce. The NC farmers market is about $40/bushel. I used to pay about $20. Any ideas where to find them less expensive? Thank you in advance, much appreciated!
No idea. And I have looked for 10 years since moving back here.

Unless you can find a local gardener who just wants to sell his/her produce out of their own garden . . . I don't know what to advise. I gave up. I can't even find a few decent tomatoes weekly for my own consumption at the farmer's markets in this region. They will TELL you they are locally grown, but they are actually trucked in from a distributer in SC - and are commercially grown - and they look/taste just like the waxy tomatoes typically found in supermarkets.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No idea. And I have looked for 10 years since moving back here.

Unless you can find a local gardener who just wants to sell his/her produce out of their own garden . . . I don't know what to advise. I gave up. I can't even find a few decent tomatoes weekly for my own consumption at the farmer's markets in this region. They will TELL you they are locally grown, but they are actually trucked in from a distributer in SC - and are commercially grown - and they look/taste just like the waxy tomatoes typically found in supermarkets.
Bummer!! Booohoooooo! Thank you though for your honesty!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Bummer!! Booohoooooo! Thank you though for your honesty!
I hesitated posting, b/c my hope is . . . SOMEONE OUT THERE will have a source for you!!! And I do still hope someone will post with this info (I would be interested, as well).

My other suggestion is . . . if someone is reading here and has tomatoes they would sell from their garden, they could just PM (private message) you and work out a deal. They may not want everyone in Charlotte bugging them, lololol.

I wish you luck! God knows I would love to be canning tomatoes every year - something I grew up doing, and did as long as I lived in NC and had my own garden! I moved back and quickly found - those home grown tomatoes still need to be grown in my backyard if I am to have them these days! Unfortunately, my home is not suited to a big garden . . . and the deer continue to decimate whatever I have tried to plant.

GOOD LUCK!!! Just thinking about the sauce you are planning on making makes me nostalgic!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
I would go to the farmer's stands at Meeting street (marvin and ardrey kell) and Robinson Village shops (Rea and William Pond) and ask the farmers there if they have canning produce. Or even the one on Providence and Ballantyne Commons too. I would be surprised if they didn't. You can also contact some of the farms in Waxhaw and Weddington that have stands outside their farms. I do remember hearing of someone that did this and scored. Google farms in Waxhaw/Union/Weddington.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM

279 posts, read 448,175 times
The excessive rain this year has made the tomato harvest small so if you find locally grown tomatoes, they are going to be more expensive this year. I grow my own and so far I've only managed to can 8 pints of crushed tomatoes and 7 pints of salsa. I probably won't get enough to make ketchup or sauce to make it worth it.

In regards to Romas, Southerners are not particularly fond of them so a good cheap supply is going to be tough to find. They are considered inferior to the types of tomatoes grown here that do quite well in sauces and canning. The long hot growing season in the South (usually) produces some very good varieties. Look for someone with locally grown better boy/better girl/etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 AM

83 posts, read 291,857 times
I would try the Matthews Community Farmer's Market in downtown Matthews. It's a grower's only market (the market manager and board members actually visit the vendor's farms). As one of the posters above said, talk to the farmers to see if they have "rejects" that would be suitable for canning. I got a bunch of reject peaches for cheap that way, one year. They made fantastic preserves!

Personally, I've never had a great yield when I've tried to grow my own Romas. This year, with all the rain, none of my tomatoes have done very well. In one of the Matthew's Community Farmer's Market newsletters, it was stated that several farmers had lost much of their tomato crops to the extensive rains.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrose003 View Post
I would try the Matthews Community Farmer's Market in downtown Matthews. It's a grower's only market (the market manager and board members actually visit the vendor's farms). As one of the posters above said, talk to the farmers to see if they have "rejects" that would be suitable for canning. I got a bunch of reject peaches for cheap that way, one year. They made fantastic preserves!

Personally, I've never had a great yield when I've tried to grow my own Romas. This year, with all the rain, none of my tomatoes have done very well. In one of the Matthew's Community Farmer's Market newsletters, it was stated that several farmers had lost much of their tomato crops to the extensive rains.
Them too, it isn't far from Ballantyne at all.

And this is a stretch but you can check out stores like Grand Asia or Compare. Both are a bit of a drive but their produce is tons cheaper at times. I don't know thought specifically for Romas but it can't hurt to try there if all else fails.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Thank you all. Going to Audrey Kell in a few minutes, calling others after. Roma's are all my family ever used for sauce, so I don't know how the other types would taste, may have to try a bushel just o see!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you all. Going to Audrey Kell in a few minutes, calling others after. Roma's are all my family ever used for sauce, so I don't know how the other types would taste, may have to try a bushel just o see!
Hope you find it there! Let me/us know if you do, I will head over there too next week and ask. Now that you got me hankering to make sauce!

As for why with Roma, I actually like em best. Thick with little juice/seeds, they are perfect for sauces. I find once they are roasted and cooked down (I roast first) it really doesn't make a huge difference in flavor. It's when they are fresh that I taste a huge diff from romas and heirlooms. Or if they are the star of the show with little else to deter from the taste. But that's for another board. Back on topic and sorry for the derail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte