Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times

Advertisements

As I've posted many times, if you lead with your sexuality, and make an effort to reinforce every negative gay stereotypes in all situations, you may not see the best that Charlotte can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 AM

140 posts, read 239,186 times
I would say Charlotte is pretty LGBT friendly. FYI: 28205 has the highest concentration of gay households in the state.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
As I've posted many times, if you lead with your sexuality, and make an effort to reinforce every negative gay stereotypes in all situations, you may not see the best that Charlotte can offer.
Man, it is also annoying when straight people lead with their sexuality and reinforce stereotypes. All those opposite-sex-married people hauling around their kids in SUVs. They don't even realize they are reinforcing stereotypes!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM

111 posts, read 323,479 times
Quote:
I would absolutely love to hear more about these "gay stereotypes" in which you are referring to.....

Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
Man, it is also annoying when straight people lead with their sexuality and reinforce stereotypes. All those opposite-sex-married people hauling around their kids in SUVs. They don't even realize they are reinforcing stereotypes!
I was specific in saying negative gay stereotypes.*If there is something negative, or even stereotypical, about people transporting their children, I don't know what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
I would absolutely love to hear more about these "negative gay stereotypes" in which you are referring to.....
I corrected your post to reflect the actual wording of the post to which you responded.

So hauling kids in an SUV is a straight stereotype? Well then I guess a man, in a group dinner setting, telling a dozen people (most of whom he had just met), that he is a power bottom, is the equal gay-stereotype, right? Yup, just two people, going about their daily business. No difference there. Nope.

After two of these themed gourmet dinners, it was obvious to everyone in the group that this guy intended to make the dinners his personal gay-on-display (a term one of the other gay men in the group explained to me) party. The dinners ended after that. Even the other gay guys in the group couldn't tolerate the behavior of the one.

I know gay men who unless you were in bed with them, you'd never know they were gay. I have gay clients, and it was years before I realized that some of them were gay. I also know gay men, like the aforementioned dinner associate, who might as well be shouting "LOOK AT ME AND HOW GAY I AM" as they walk into a room, or do anything, actually.

I really don't care if someone is gay. It doesn't have any bearing on my life. But let's not pretend we don't know what we're talking about, when negative gay stereotypes is the topic.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 08-12-2013 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 08:25 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
I would absolutely love to hear more about these "gay stereotypes" in which you are referring to.....
I think he means when gays go out and look to he offended due to the sexuality. If you look for it you will find it even when it doesnt exist. I know a few gays who are annoying... not because they are gay... just because every now and then you find someone annoying... yet, they think its due to their gayness. No, its because they are loud and wrong.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM

111 posts, read 323,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I think he means when gays go out and look to he offended due to the sexuality. If you look for it you will find it even when it doesnt exist. I know a few gays who are annoying... not because they are gay... just because every now and then you find someone annoying... yet, they think its due to their gayness. No, its because they are loud and wrong.

Wrong in what way? Who are you to judge someone just because they may act more feminine than you are used to?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I was specific in saying negative gay stereotypes.*If there is something negative, or even stereotypical, about people transporting their children, I don't know what it is.
I corrected your post to reflect the actual wording of the post to which you responded.

So hauling kids in an SUV is a straight stereotype? Well then I guess a man, in a group dinner setting, telling a dozen people (most of whom he had just met), that he is a power bottom, is the equal gay-stereotype, right? Yup, just two people, going about their daily business. No difference there. Nope.

After two of these themed gourmet dinners, it was obvious to everyone in the group that this guy intended to make the dinners his personal gay-on-display (a term one of the other gay men in the group explained to me) party. The dinners ended after that. Even the other gay guys in the group couldn't tolerate the behavior of the one.

I know gay men who unless you were in bed with them, you'd never know they were gay. I have gay clients, and it was years before I realized that some of them were gay. I also know gay men, like the aforementioned dinner associate, who might as well be shouting "LOOK AT ME AND HOW GAY I AM" as they walk into a room, or do anything, actually.

I really don't care if someone is gay. It doesn't have any bearing on my life. But let's not pretend we don't know what we're talking about, when negative gay stereotypes is the topic.
Well, considering that I have encountered many, many straight men who brag about their sexual contests in a distasteful manner, perhaps we can say that's just a negative stereotype in general instead of something specific to gays?

Also, I wouldn't say it's a good thing if you've known someone for years and not known that he or she is gay. Situations like that usually mean that the person in question doesn't feel comfortable enough to say something as innocuous as "My boyfriend and I went to the park last weekend" or "my girlfriend's car is in the shop." People say that they don't want gays and lesbians "parading their sexuality," but I don't think they realize how many times a day straight people refer to theirs, even in subtle ways. It's just part of who you are.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Wrong in what way? Who are you to judge someone just because they may act more feminine than you are used to?
That's just it. You may think someone is "announcing their sexuality" just by the way they talk and carry themselves, but guess what? So do most straight people:

"God, I hate Joe. Every time he enters the room he's all 'Hey bro, what's up?' Always has to have his straightness on display.'"

Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM

I tried several times to respond to a couple other posts and realized that no matter what I say, it will only become argumentative. I'm sure there will be flaming of this post as well, because, I have to say, some of the responses so far are downright ridiculous. Turning this thread into a gay vs straight discussion is not the goal.

So I'll modify my earlier post:

If a person goes into a group, and knowingly presents his/herself in an extreme manner that is substantially different than the manner of the majority of people in that group, he/she would be well advised to expect that some of that group will not accept them fully. It's how it has always been, and probably how it will always be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte