Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
Wrong in what way? Who are you to judge someone just because they may act more feminine than you are used to?
Who said anything about feminine... Im talking about being loud and wrong in casual conversations about random topics...

Truth be told, I'm referring to females who are lesbian and trying to play the male role in the relationship. They are aggressive, loud, possessive and anytime you look in their direction they take it personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
The though of having sex with another man is revolting to me. That being sad, I think Charlotte likes Homosexuals just like everybody else.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If a person goes into a group, and knowingly presents his/herself in an extreme manner that is substantially different than the manner of the majority of people in that group, he/she would be well advised to expect that some of that group will not accept them fully. It's how it has always been, and probably how it will always be.
Well said .

I notice that if I don't mind myself, and comport myself in a way that is familiar to New Yorkers (fast paced, animated, and (comparitively) loud), I will get stares.

Whatever your bent, society instinctively favors those who act within expected norms.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
Well, considering that I have encountered many, many straight men who brag about their sexual contests in a distasteful manner, perhaps we can say that's just a negative stereotype in general instead of something specific to gays?

Also, I wouldn't say it's a good thing if you've known someone for years and not known that he or she is gay. Situations like that usually mean that the person in question doesn't feel comfortable enough to say something as innocuous as "My boyfriend and I went to the park last weekend" or "my girlfriend's car is in the shop." People say that they don't want gays and lesbians "parading their sexuality," but I don't think they realize how many times a day straight people refer to theirs, even in subtle ways. It's just part of who you are.
No one said the negative stereotype was specific to gays... but this is a topic about gays. Not sure why someone would make a gay specific thread and then get mad when the conversation is about gays.

I also don't think talking about your wife, kids, etc is parading.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Well said .

I notice that if I don't mind myself, and comport myself in a way that is familiar to New Yorkers (fast paced, animated, and (comparitively) loud), I will get stares.

Whatever your bent, society instinctively favors those who act within expected norms.
I agree with ^ and the post he was referring to. I myself have three areas I could display extreme stereotypical stuff. Why get offended? It's prevalent in every race, creed, religion etc. (the extremists that is) It isn't "us" being judgey of the extremists, it's the extremists being judgey in having to their attitude toward everyone and giving no one a chance.

Again we are talking extreme stereotypical types that think everyone is against them from the get go irregardless. Not the 99.9% that are thankfully just living life.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 AM

279 posts, read 448,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
The though of having sex with another man is revolting to me.....
I would think that almost anyone would find plenty of people from either gender where the thought of having sex with them would be revolting. That is unless they are a complete slag and/or like doing pickups at Walmart on Saturday afternoon.

i.e. It's not hard to be nice to someone even if you don't care to sleep with them.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
The though of having sex with another man is revolting to me. That being sad, I think Charlotte likes Homosexuals just like everybody else.

Who said anything about sex? I think ANY ugly person engaging in sex Is absolutely disgusting. And there are also tons of sexual preferences I find disturbing. Feet, for example...

And to address "feminine flamboyant" gays. Why should that matter to anyone? I'm not flamboy or Girly at all (not attracted) to Girly feminine etc. but as long as someone is not rude with me and isn't being annoying, I don't mind.

Artsy NoDa stuff isn't my thing. I don't get the hipster stuff. But I don't get annoyed walking past coffee shops with people taking about... Hipster stuff with gauge ear rings etc. and Ron Paul sticker...

I'm not sure why some people are so scared.... Or intolerant. Seems kind of Neanderthal to me.

And to Charlotte not having a gay scene. That doesn't take away from the acceptance. I'm not sure what a "gay scene" is (a district with rainbow flags everywhere?), but has doesn't take away from the friendlieness here. Again, I think it comes down to people wanting there to be an issue or wanting to be a victim.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:21 PM

625 posts, read 489,196 times
Let me start with the fact that I'm a heterosexual female in a mixed race marriage. We're moving to Charlotte this fall and I've visited a few times and based on what I've seen while visiting Charlotte is very gay friendly. I have a gay cousin that's lived there with her partner for over 20 years and they love it there. I didn't see a local "scene" like in the Village in NYC but it seems to me that there is a large community dispersed throughout.

While looking at houses I bumped into a an obviously gay male couple that was looking at houses as well. Loved the thick southern accent! They weren't hiding their sexuality which is an indicator that there seems to be an open attitude about it there.

Anyway, I don't get the attitude of "well as long as they're not in your face about it..." The more feminine Gay men I know or more masculine Gay women aren't purposefully "in your face" about the way they are. That's just who they are. Just like I know some straight women who are ubber feminine, and some like me could give a hoot about makeup high heels and skirts, and some hetero males are super masculine and some are less so and more "metro".

I also saw a lot of mixed couples, which was nice as well. My husband hasn't been to Charlotte yet I keep explaining to him that its in the south but the folks there don't have the stereotypical southern attitudes that people from the NE expect.

Y'all have a very nice city and we're looking forward to moving there soon.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:57 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
[quote=Charlotte485;30929181]Who said anything about sex?

To me gay friendly means we are tolerant and accepting to men having sex with men and a woman having sex with woman. Ugly, Attractive, Bi-racial, Bi-lingual, Mixed Breed, yadda yadda yadda... IMO that's revolting. Is gay friendly like that we are all frolicking naked through the tulip patch?

Very confused.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times
It's crazy to even suggest Charlotte or NC is worse in any way, and I'm assuming this is stemming from the history of the south east and it's famous ignorance.

I live in a rural town and can swing a dead cat and hit at least 5 gay people that nobody even pays attention to. This is a town full of rednecks, some of them are even gay and don't hide it.. This is a case of looking for problems where there are none..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte