Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:43 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
It's crazy to even suggest Charlotte or NC is worse in any way, and I'm assuming this is stemming from the history of the south east and it's famous ignorance.

I live in a rural town and can swing a dead cat and hit at least 5 gay people that nobody even pays attention to. This is a town full of rednecks, some of them are even gay and don't hide it.. This is a case of looking for problems where there are none..
I have to ask...are there dead cats lying aorund in your town, or do you have one you carry around with you for this purpose?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
Let me start with the fact that I'm a heterosexual female in a mixed race marriage. We're moving to Charlotte this fall and I've visited a few times and based on what I've seen while visiting Charlotte is very gay friendly. I have a gay cousin that's lived there with her partner for over 20 years and they love it there. I didn't see a local "scene" like in the Village in NYC but it seems to me that there is a large community dispersed throughout.

While looking at houses I bumped into a an obviously gay male couple that was looking at houses as well. Loved the thick southern accent! They weren't hiding their sexuality which is an indicator that there seems to be an open attitude about it there.

Anyway, I don't get the attitude of "well as long as they're not in your face about it..." The more feminine Gay men I know or more masculine Gay women aren't purposefully "in your face" about the way they are. That's just who they are. Just like I know some straight women who are ubber feminine, and some like me could give a hoot about makeup high heels and skirts, and some hetero males are super masculine and some are less so and more "metro".

I also saw a lot of mixed couples, which was nice as well. My husband hasn't been to Charlotte yet I keep explaining to him that its in the south but the folks there don't have the stereotypical southern attitudes that people from the NE expect.

Y'all have a very nice city and we're looking forward to moving there soon.
Great post... but I have to disagree with the idea that some arent purposefully in your face with it. When a girl tells the whope bqr what she will do to the bartender if given the chance its in your face. This goes for gay and hetero individuals... when a person is over the top about their sexual adventures or desires its offensive.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:20 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
Wrong in what way? Who are you to judge someone just because they may act more feminine than you are used to?
And it's this kind of reaction that irritates others. Don't make something out of nothing and you'll find all will be well in this town.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Sorry dude but I find guys, gay or straight, wearing chaps that expose their buttcheeks, pretty disgusting. The fact that they were holding hands, and sticking their tongues down each others throats did not help my opinion. Maybe gay, maybe straight, but disgusting regardless.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Sorry dude but I find guys, gay or straight, wearing chaps that expose their buttcheeks, pretty disgusting. The fact that they were holding hands, and sticking their tongues down each others throats did not help my opinion. Maybe gay, maybe straight, but disgusting regardless.
I don't think any of us here would find that anything but disgusting. Go to Walmart and there's tons of disgusting people.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 PM

111 posts, read 323,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
And it's this kind of reaction that irritates others. Don't make something out of nothing and you'll find all will be well in this town.
That's funny, because ignorance and intolerance happens to irritate me and a lot of others. This post was not meant to turn into a whole debate, but it did. Although I can't say I am surprised. Judging from your "What used to be the south" quote it would seem to me that you don't like progress in Charlotte. And probably don't care for "outsiders" moving here. Charlotte is a great city, with a great future and it got that way because of the hundreds of thousands of people who relocated here from other parts of the country and world. So I guess we are even when it comes to reactions on things that irritate us.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
Most all of the ones I have met have been very friendly

Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,105 times
lived in New England area up north & believe me Charlotte is still a good ole boy state just like those other southern states & not so gay friendly........... you can even see the expressions in their faces as if we don't want you gay folks here, lol... smh..........

Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaplumz74 View Post
lived in New England area up north & believe me Charlotte is still a good ole boy state just like those other southern states & not so gay friendly........... you can even see the expressions in their faces as if we don't want you gay folks here, lol... smh..........
What neighborhood did you experience this in?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaplumz74 View Post

Maybe it's because youre from New England and come across as thinking youre more educated or tolerant than us in our own city because you're from New England and in New England people are more tolerant than people elsewhere and you're from new England and in New England....New England New England New England.

Which is kind of ironic if you think about it. Someone who wants to be accepted yet... Thinks down about us Southerners and laugh at us if we're some kind of bumpkin morons...

"just like those other southern states". I'd feel no sympathy for you if you do experience discrimination. It sounds like a mutual feeling between you and the Neanderthals you run across.

An eye for an eye makes the world blind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte