Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:33 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm wondering if WSOC is trying to turn their employees into part-time.
Could be, but stations definitely seem to be making cutbacks or reducing staff. At WBTV anchor Brigida Mack and morning host Coach Lamont have since departed. The new morning weather guy is also the new morning host. And no new anchor for the 11pm news since Paul Cameron retired almost a year ago. And ongoing problems with new equipment, and the master control may have been removed to a remote location. Seems a big step back for a pioneer flagship station, but new owner Gray may be consolidating operations at the headquarters in Atlanta. WSOC may be enduring Cox cutbacks since the sale, but no major impact like the ongoing technical problems at WBTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Could be, but stations definitely seem to be making cutbacks or reducing staff. At WBTV anchor Brigida Mack and morning host Coach Lamont have since departed. The new morning weather guy is also the new morning host. And no new anchor for the 11pm news since Paul Cameron retired almost a year ago. And ongoing problems with new equipment, and the master control may have been removed to a remote location. Seems a big step back for a pioneer flagship station, but new owner Gray may be consolidating operations at the headquarters in Atlanta. WSOC may be enduring Cox cutbacks since the sale, but no major impact like the ongoing technical problems at WBTV.
If Gray is consolidating to Atlanta, it would mean that they're stupid. Atlanta is the larger market, therefore everything about it would cost more.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
If Gray is consolidating to Atlanta, it would mean that they're stupid. Atlanta is the larger market, therefore everything about it would cost more.
Gray is headquartered in Atlanta, but they only operate small to midsize market stations. I have heard unconfirmed reports they may be consolidating master control operations for some of their stations in Atlanta, but I have no confirmation on that. But they are definitely having major technical issues at WBTV with new equipment and a new graphics package. Several days they were unable to present a major scheduled newscast, or it was delayed due to technical difficulties. Which is why perhaps some of the master control may no longer be on site. Which is sad as WBTV was a major flagship station for Jefferson-Pilot and Raycom. Hopefully Gray will not destroy their legacy heritage.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Gray is headquartered in Atlanta, but they only operate small to midsize market stations. I have heard unconfirmed reports they may be consolidating master control operations for some of their stations in Atlanta, but I have no confirmation on that. But they are definitely having major technical issues at WBTV with new equipment and a new graphics package. Several days they were unable to present a major scheduled newscast, or it was delayed due to technical difficulties. Which is why perhaps some of the master control may no longer be on site. Which is sad as WBTV was a major flagship station for Jefferson-Pilot and Raycom. Hopefully Gray will not destroy their legacy heritage.
They're sounding incompetent.

I think that they also got rid of the girl who did the "good news" segments. It appears that several reporters are trading off doing it as well as regular reporting.

I've noticed that the females have dialed back on makeup, which is a good thing.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
They're sounding incompetent.

I think that they also got rid of the girl who did the "good news" segments. It appears that several reporters are trading off doing it as well as regular reporting.

I've noticed that the females have dialed back on makeup, which is a good thing.
The good news girl was removed from the air after she was publicly revealed to be a lesbian. That was before Raycom sold out to Gray. But that may not have been cause and effect, but she was reportedly transferred to their digital website platform rather than remain on air talent. It was never stated why.

Perhaps Gray suggested the on air talent tone down the makeup. But of course the only Charlotte based TV performer known for makeup and mascara was the late televangelist Tammy Faye Messner of the PTL fame. But now they are currently casting for a Jim and Tammy movie to be filmed in Charlotte, and there are 2 Tammy Faye Broadway musicals in the planning stages, one starring Kristin Chenowith and the other being produced in london by Elton John.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:05 AM

Heavy makeup used to be the norm because the necessary light washed them out.

When I moved here, I noticed that almost all of the females still wore very heavy makeup. That's changed in the last year or so.

Very interesting about the good news girl. There's probably a lawsuit there. Those segments seemed to be geared to a specific religious segment of the audience, rather than just being a nice news story. Several years ago, the Kings Mountain library tried to get one of their events included and were blown off.

She was coming on the morning show before that show was changed. They usually had her do a recipe or two.

Recently they had a guy do a good news segment and it was much more like my concept of what that type of segment should be.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yesterday they re-ran the last hour of CBS This Morning at 9am. Problems, they've got problems.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Yesterday they re-ran the last hour of CBS This Morning at 9am. Problems, they've got problems.
Yes ongoing technical problems. They finally got the morning show on at 9:20. And that morning show varies based upon the combination of personalities. It is better when they add Christine Sperow into the mix like they did yesterday. Former hosts Coach Lamont and Chris Larson have since departed. The new traffic and weather guy is the new cohost.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Yes ongoing technical problems. They finally got the morning show on at 9:20. And that morning show varies based upon the combination of personalities. It is better when they add Christine Sperow into the mix like they did yesterday. Former hosts Coach Lamont and Chris Larson have since departed. The new traffic and weather guy is the new cohost.
Coach Lamonte annoyed me to no end. I really liked Chris Larson. I do like the new guy, but you're right about Christine Sperow. I like her a lot.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:25 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,083 times
When we moved here 3 years ago, I thought WBTV was the best local news. I have totally flipped, I now pretty much only watch FOX46. A few weak links, but overall the best. WBTV has really fell off. And not really 1 strong sports anchor in town. Have never found too many people on either ABC on NBC that I cared for. Use to watch Fred Stropshire in Chicago as a reporter on WGN years ago. Neverreally stood out to me there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte