Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 AM

328 posts, read 616,574 times

Advertisements

I was not there, but very proud of CLT for this impressive parade. The sheer volume of people, combined with the corporate and community support as well as the (relatively) small amount of protesters, really speaks to the evolving nature of the city. You know, I have so many friends from outside NC and all they know about this state is what they hear in the news lately. And, of course, what they hear does not show NC in the most positive or progressive light. It's so fortifying for these images to be in the news (which it was, on CNN) because it reveals a different facet to this city. Charlotte is more complicated (and wonderful) than a lot of folks want to admit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Would this be something people could bring their kids to see (roughly 6-12)?
Most definitely, I wasnt sure how Charlotte Pride Parade would be since it was its first, everyone seemed welcomed. As seen in the video below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
I was not there, but very proud of CLT for this impressive parade. The sheer volume of people, combined with the corporate and community support as well as the (relatively) small amount of protesters, really speaks to the evolving nature of the city. You know, I have so many friends from outside NC and all they know about this state is what they hear in the news lately. And, of course, what they hear does not show NC in the most positive or progressive light. It's so fortifying for these images to be in the news (which it was, on CNN) because it reveals a different facet to this city. Charlotte is more complicated (and wonderful) than a lot of folks want to admit!
I was amazed by the crowd too, and various unexpected sponsors like Volkswagon but those convertibles are awesome and seeing Snoopy of Met Life was cute in back of one. The Cheetos mascot and CBS bus I thought was cool being in this parade.
Before parade started I saw a cop taking bomb sniffing dog around trash cans that was nice peace of mind.
I agree the amount of protestors was small, I remember the look on one of their faces when I aim my bubble making gun at him and shot ton of bubbles in the air.

This video is a little shaky, I had to split it, but all these videos was my partner first time video taping, I thought he did a pretty good job and grateful he did it for me.
That is cool CNN mention it.

Charlotte has the best festivals and parades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kDdaCJEakM

Here is accepting churches in final part of the parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynkYd5UbP8k

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-27-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,362,467 times
I saw one in Sydney, Australia, back in 2000. Pretty dang amazing. I was with former coworkers who were slightly homophobic though. Still had a great time observing all the floats and entertainment. Did not make this one last weekend as we were involved with much soccer.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,830 times
I didn't get to attend this one, hopefully I will next year.

I've been to NYC's mega parade quite a few times. Seeing the more salacious types in with the family friendly parade participants makes it more fun. But that's just my opinion.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Charlotte just had its first pride parade in 19 years. Did anyone go? It was a fun day.
Does anyone want to watch it?
Or see what these people in picture just left?

My partner made videos for me as I shot a bubble gun.
Why hasn't Charlotte had a Pride parade in all that time?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
^^^This one pic breaks about 1,000 different stereotypes that some Charlotte-bashers tend to throw around. Thanks for sharing!!!

Hate that I missed this year's pride, but I'm glad to see that the crowd was decent. Also, it makes a HUGE statement when Charlotte's mayor, two "out" city council members, and Jennifer Roberts were in the parade. After looking at the pics and videos from this year's pride, I'm reminded of a fairly popular song by Macklemore (a rapper who is MUCH deeper than I first gave him credit for). I'm sure you've heard his song about gay rights, but here it is if you haven't. It would be nice if Charlotte tried to get acts like him next year.

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE feat. MARY LAMBERT (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube

Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why hasn't Charlotte had a Pride parade in all that time?
Lack of organization and community support. I remember one of the final years the festival was at Marshall Park they struggled in organizing it.
Then the next year it was moved to Gateway Village til 2010 . That place was horrible on acoustics

It was nice seeing all big corporation support in helping it to a well organize and diverse parade. It was cool
seeing groups represented from outside of the city too.

Since it was very well organize, I can only imagine next year will be even bigger.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
^^^This one pic breaks about 1,000 different stereotypes that some Charlotte-bashers tend to throw around. Thanks for sharing!!!

Hate that I missed this year's pride, but I'm glad to see that the crowd was decent. Also, it makes a HUGE statement when Charlotte's mayor, two "out" city council members, and Jennifer Roberts were in the parade. After looking at the pics and videos from this year's pride, I'm reminded of a fairly popular song by Macklemore (a rapper who is MUCH deeper than I first gave him credit for). I'm sure you've heard his song about gay rights, but here it is if you haven't. It would be nice if Charlotte tried to get acts like him next year.

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE feat. MARY LAMBERT (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube
Patzy was friendly in crowd and she mention she would be returning to council unless she runs to keep her position. https://sphotos-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/h...69995184_n.jpg
The crowd was so huge I didnt get to see in crowd Miss Mayfield or Jennifer, but Jennifer use to speak every year when she wass on council when it was held at Gateway Village.
I did have chance to have a good conversation with Representive Marcus Brandon he is running for Mel Watt seat.

I was thrilled when we came upon WBTV tent. It had Delano Little Kristen Miranda, Maureen O'Boyle and Brigida Mack and we got autograph pictures from each of them. I dont know if there was people behind me because I was having fun conversing with Brigida and Maureen.

Far as the song; The first time we heard it was on June 26th on our way home from the DOMA is Dead rally in Uptown, it gave me chills as the message speaks volumes.

One thing we would love changed is better headliners like Kylie Minogue.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-04-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 AM

This is so amazing the crowd size shown in picture below, however it also kills certain aspects that smaller festival gave in the past. . We went both days and still lots of people, the numbers are around 45k and 20k for the parade.
I use to like going to Pride Festival to see friends I havent seen in awhile, and I was told some was there but they was lost in the sea of happy goers. Also we was only able to see a few booths as they was to crowded for us.

This festival is not only good for vendors but great for the Charlotte economy. From restaurants, retail, hotel, bars, parking and transit. Family friendly Pride Festival & Parade is great for Charlotte.

The crowd size is amazing. https://sphotos-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/h...14815044_n.jpg

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-08-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 PM

457 posts, read 1,178,367 times
Not sure if your question was rhetorical but I wanted anyway to say that I love Pride Parades. It's great to see all the enthusiasm and super happy people. I used to never miss the parade in Greenwich Village. One of my favs w Dykes on Bikes b/c it was so uproarious. It was always a bummer when it was over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte