Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM

533 posts, read 936,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If that's near Northlake Mall, (exit 18) have you considered Huntersville? That's close and a nice area. Quick link to the schools there:

Huntersville Schools - Huntersville North Carolina School Ratings - Public and Private
X2

Matthews (SE Charlotte) is going to be way too far out for ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I agree on Huntersville, and there is several ways to get to NorthLake area via back roads to avoid interstate entirely if needed.

Will be glad to assist in sharing what routes if needed.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Difficult to comment on all the schools in each area, but we have a son who just graduated from LNHS and loved it. Had a nice group of friends and did better at this school than he would ever have done in UK. It's a big school, but very orderly and clean. Didn't have that much to do with the staff etc as we had no need to- we're not precious parents though. We never had any reason to really. Lakeshore elementary, Woodland Heights elementary,Brawley Middle, Lakeshore Middle and LNHS all get good scores on the Greatschools site.
Husband commutes to Charlotte every day (currently nr the airport temporarily, but normally Morehead St) and leaves home (3 miles from new I77 exit 35) no later than 6.40 and his commute time is 35-40 mins. Worst traffic on I-77 is from exit 19 to 28 ish.
What sort of area do you want to live in (ie SD with pool etc, lake access, larger lot) and what's your price range? Have you visited the area at all?
I also wanted to mention to the OP that bullying is "generational". Meaning that a school could have a bullying situation but it's limited to the specific bully him or herself and their buddies. Depending on what grade you enter, you won't even encounter that group.

As for the bolded, I don't see them as precious, just different. Some parents choose to be part of the PTA and others don't. One isn't right and the other isn't wrong. It's just different. I will say though that it does make a difference if there is a strong PTA as they provide many extras that the school can't otherwise afford. And great news is you can be involved with simply your donation or with your time. There is a wide range to be "involved" and none of it is precious.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 PM

11 posts, read 27,051 times
Thanks everyone for the input.
Whatsthenews was asking about our preference and budget. We would love to be waterfront, in a neighborhood with great schools and in a house that has a contemporary style. Based on our initial assessment of homes around Huntersville/Cornelius/Davidson, we probably will look at homes in the $800-1.2M range.
Our first trip to visit the area in person won't probably happen until Nov.
Any additional suggestions on narrowing down our search to specific neighborhoods?
Sounds like the Peninsula would be nice, but we are not golfers and don't want to spend big bucks on HOA if we don't have to.
Thanks.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
I also wanted to mention to the OP that bullying is "generational". Meaning that a school could have a bullying situation but it's limited to the specific bully him or herself and their buddies. Depending on what grade you enter, you won't even encounter that group.

As for the bolded, I don't see them as precious, just different. Some parents choose to be part of the PTA and others don't. One isn't right and the other isn't wrong. It's just different. I will say though that it does make a difference if there is a strong PTA as they provide many extras that the school can't otherwise afford. And great news is you can be involved with simply your donation or with your time. There is a wide range to be "involved" and none of it is precious.
Wasn't talking about PTA - I meant that we weren't the sort of parents who were on the phone or up to the school about everything, unlike some parents. To us (who are both professionals) there's too much emphasis on the importance of high school education and college at this age.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeliving View Post
Thanks everyone for the input.
Whatsthenews was asking about our preference and budget. We would love to be waterfront, in a neighborhood with great schools and in a house that has a contemporary style. Based on our initial assessment of homes around Huntersville/Cornelius/Davidson, we probably will look at homes in the $800-1.2M range.
Our first trip to visit the area in person won't probably happen until Nov.
Any additional suggestions on narrowing down our search to specific neighborhoods?
Sounds like the Peninsula would be nice, but we are not golfers and don't want to spend big bucks on HOA if we don't have to.
Thanks.
So you want a neighborhood with HOAs and community facilities then?
Sorry- I don't really know any of the waterfront neighborhoods very well in Cornelius or Huntersville, and Davidson doesn't have any W/F homes on Lake Norman, only on Lake Davidson which is land locked.
If you don't want to look at Mooresville then I think you will have more choice of w/f homes in Cornelius than Huntersville.
Good Luck finding (what I would call ) a contemporary home on the lake for your price range. Most are very traditional, or mock "castles" etc. Very few contemporary homes. Buy a w/f lot and build your own if that'd what you really want. Good Luck in your move and search.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM

488 posts, read 798,760 times
Pennisula is your best bet close in but there are a few smaller subdivisions that have nice homes on the water - just harder to find something for sale as they tend to not be on the market much. Davidson is my favorite area but again most are not on the water.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM

45 posts, read 159,582 times
Quote:
I would take the comments with a grain of salt. Bullying is everywhere and principals tend to be blamed for everything. I would focus on the test scores, number of incidents and make the appointment for a tour of the school. If you are a parent that will be involved with the PTA, check out their page too.
I disagree with the "focus on the test scores." The teachers do not appreciate testing the students all the time. This was recently discussed in the media. Teachers want to teach children.

I would suggest checking out the size of classrooms. Then I would check to see how the teachers are permitted to grade and flunk students. Too many students in Brevard were passed, and when they graduated they were unable to read at 7th grade level.

Principals and superintendents need to leave the teaching up to the teachers. And students that score at 60% in a particular class need to be flunked. It is utterly ridiculous that students cannot read, write or do anything without the computer or calculator. I know that they are required in classes. But the students NEED to be able to do things manually. One does not know when a complete glitch will shut down computers and calculators. It would be nice if the cell phones were not allowed in the schools. But that is another saga.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDudette View Post
I disagree with the "focus on the test scores." The teachers do not appreciate testing the students all the time. This was recently discussed in the media. Teachers want to teach children.

I would suggest checking out the size of classrooms. Then I would check to see how the teachers are permitted to grade and flunk students. Too many students in Brevard were passed, and when they graduated they were unable to read at 7th grade level.

Principals and superintendents need to leave the teaching up to the teachers. And students that score at 60% in a particular class need to be flunked. It is utterly ridiculous that students cannot read, write or do anything without the computer or calculator. I know that they are required in classes. But the students NEED to be able to do things manually. One does not know when a complete glitch will shut down computers and calculators. It would be nice if the cell phones were not allowed in the schools. But that is another saga.
I agree that the schools do way too many benchmark testing all throughout the year. However I'm a fan of the end of grade testing to ensure they did learn and retained from that grade. Ideally I think it should be twice a year even to split it up. That's the test scores listed on the schools report card and it's a sign to me how the school is.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
What is there to understand.? In the mornings "millions" of non county resident day workers jam up all of the roads coming into Charlotte to work and in the PM the same thing happens going the other way....Avoid it if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte