Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 AM

489 posts, read 910,864 times

Advertisements

Just to add something, most teachers I talk to advise working in Cabarrus, Union, and York counties, as opposed to Mecklenburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM

328 posts, read 616,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDWESTBABE View Post
Charlotte Observer has a plethora of articles on teachers.. With all honesty, Charlotte is a beautiful city with a lot to offer... If you are fake as heck, and like to jump through loop hole after loop hole. The job market is based on how much tail you are willing to kiss to even get your resume pulled, and how much money you are willing to put into their education systems.. I believe there is a certification needed for trash removal jobs (kidding, but serious).. Then after you pay the $$ for the certification, they will pay you 7.00 per hour. The best advice I can give to anyone moving here is to lock down a job before you get here, I have seen a lot of families return to their respective cities due to the inability to lock down stable work.

If you do plan to move here, I have read others say have money saved... That is true, have at least 10,000 saved. Bring some friends too, because the locals don't take kindly to outsiders. Instead of "Queen City" it should be called "Cliche City"..
It is not my experience that the people of Charlotte are distant or unwelcoming whatsoever. I found it easy to make friends in this city (especially compared to others I've lived in). While I agree that the teaching profession is under siege in many ways, I certainly don't think the OP has to worry about "locals" not taking kindly to strangers at all.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM

9 posts, read 10,991 times
Ok, I'm not giving up on Charlotte yet. I really appreciate all the advice. Thank you, Somersmom & pj734 for giving me advice on some good school areas. I will look into SC. My salary in NY is pretty good & I know that I will take a huge pay cut if I go to Charlotte but I'm trying to see if it is at all possible. In the meantime, I will save up. I wish NC paid their teachers well!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM

53 posts, read 96,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadiansunrise View Post
Hi Everyone,
Over the summer I visited Charlotte for a few days and really loved the city. I am from the suburbs of New York (close to NYC) and I'm looking for a change of location. I'm tired of the fast-pace, expensive lifestyle up here. Don't get me wrong, NY has a lot of culture, great restaurants, and things to do! I am 31 years old, single, and I'm thinking long-term. I can only afford to rent in New York and to buy anything would mean settling for a small space. I like the idea of being able to buy a nice place to live that is affordable. I also love the natural side of North Carolina...the beauty of its mountains, lakes, and oceans. I love the fact that Charlotte seems to have a great city life. However, do I have a good chance of getting a teaching job in Charlotte? I specialize in ESL and General Education (1-6). Is it a good city for singles? I'm looking to move next Summer 2014.

Thanks!
The salaries in Charlotte are very low compared to NY. You'd be better off getting a job in northern Westchester or Rockland and then living an hour north of there. Then, you'd get a high salary, live in a beautiful hilly area, and have a much lower cost of living than if you were in a close-in suburb of NY.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 AM

162 posts, read 240,103 times
If you want to make $30,000 a year teaching then COME ON DOWN! You will make about $14 or $15 an hour and have to work a second job ALL SUMMER!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:33 AM

309 posts, read 765,898 times
Shlomo, the only problem is that jobs in No. Westchester and Rockland are hard to come by b/c the salaries are so good. Teachers don't leave 'cause the jobs are relatively lucrative (tho not enough to usually live in those communities), and those communities even are starting to feel the pinch of tighter budgets. And many of the Rockland districts have the added pressure of the ultra-Orthodox communities gaining control of the school boards and drastically cutting back on budgets.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 AM

68 posts, read 134,107 times
For what it's worth, Charlotte is a Teach for America city. That's generally an indicator that the schools are not in good shape. Like most others on the this thread, I really like Charlotte and its people. However, I have met many people with families that have left Charlotte because of the quality of the public schools and escalating crime.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Run away! NC hates smart people and we are actively trying to dumb down the populace so we vote republican forever.

yay?
I agree with the bolded. School is a lot easier nowadays from when I attended. My mom kept my old schoolwork and I was surprised. This was back in the old days in Miami and Chicago.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM

53 posts, read 96,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadiansunrise View Post
..,I wish NC paid their teachers well!
Not me. I don't want to start paying $20,000 in property taxes on a $600,000 house, so that teachers, cops, fireman, and garbage men can get ridiculous salaries and benefits.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 10,991 times
No need for riddiclous salaries but a decent salary would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte