Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 PM

177 posts, read 366,163 times

Advertisements

I need current info on the school above (good/bad/otherwise) if possible, thanks. Have already checked out greatschools website and the school's as well, but would like more info about it, especially from current/recent parents. Thanks for your response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 04:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
What information are you looking for? It's a very academically driven school. It's also a smaller school than usual. Parent involvement is high at this school as well. *as high they can be for middle school is what I mean.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 6,404 times
Former student here, now a HS Junior.
South Charlotte is a quite safe school compared to others. It's located in a residential area, and has had only 2 drug/weapon instances in since my oldest brother went there(10 years ago). It has about 1000 students, down from about 1600 in pre-2003 before JM Robinson and then-later Community House were built. I know it was built around 1991, right after nearby Providence High(1989) and was originally a junior high until they switched up the grades to make it a middle school. That being said, even though it was 3 years ago since I went, the school is old. The buildings, rooms, gym, locker rooms were not physically updated as much as some of the surrounding schools. Nor were they dilapidated. In the classrooms, although, I believe from my sixth (08-09) to 8th (10-11) almost all of them were equipped with SmartBoards. Most of the teachers were pretty good and generally nice if the student is respectful, shows effort, and does okay in school. The academics, at least compared to many other schools, are and were difficult. This is not a fun school. The work is somewhat hard, but not impossible. It does prepare you for high school pretty well. The makeup of the school is about 2/3 white, 1/6 black and the rest being Asian or Hispanic. It is zoned for mainly highway 51(Pineville-Matthews) and it's neighborhoods, some which are very affluent (Piper Glen, especially, Hembstead, down Hugh Forest Road) but also some friendly middle class neighborhoods on Matthews, down Alexander Road, and Beverly Crest and some diverse nearby apartment complexes. Not to mention the school is basically located in Raintree. There is a "rich" crowd, but its not as bad as some of the other schools. Also, I'm not sure why, but there were about 15-20 students that ended up going to Rocky River HS and a couple to Independence, although those schools are quite far from SCMS. I'd say about 65-70% goes to Providence HS and 25% go to South Meck. The rest go to private school or another HS for any random reason.

To sum it up, its in a nice area, has hard academics(for middle school), and is a good school.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. Am waiting now to hear back later this week from the interview last Thursday. Hoping it works out for relocating - anyone with any apartment info in that area, I'd appreciate knowing, thanks.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
That area are full of apartment communities. Check out the piper glen apartments but make sure it's zoned for South Charlotte and not Jay M Robinson. And another called The Retreat. (pretty sure it's South Charlotte) JMR is another school that is there and also is excellent. (better than SC in my opinion)

Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM

Have been in touch with the Retreat already. Will check out Piper Glen, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte