Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 AM

415 posts, read 1,149,875 times

Advertisements

I've been enjoying watching the old Malcolm in the Middle series, and last night watched Episode 5 of Season 3, where the kids are forced to do charity work at a church thrift store. They begin selling the items on their own, skimming most of the money for themselves but justifying it by putting (an ever-diminishing) fraction of the proceeds in the church offertory box.

For some reason that I can't put my finger on, it immediately made me think of this story...

Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 AM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
I've been enjoying watching the old Malcolm in the Middle series, and last night watched Episode 5 of Season 3, where the kids are forced to do charity work at a church thrift store. They begin selling the items on their own, skimming most of the money for themselves but justifying it by putting (an ever-diminishing) fraction of the proceeds in the church offertory box.

For some reason that I can't put my finger on, it immediately made me think of this story...
lol

Yup this sorta thing has been going on for 2k+ years now. Nothing really new concept wise, just how it's presented I guess.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
Elevation members keep pointing out all the good Elevation does as an excuse or justification for Furtick's actions (handpicking his own compensation committee, using tithes to market/purchase his books, etc). Couple of things...

1) If they are bringing in $500k/week, wouldn't it make a larger impact if they cut the middle man out (Furtick) and put the money directly into the community? If your real focus is giving to the community, you can do that without Furtick. You can give time as well without Furtick. He's clearly fleecing the flock.

2) I can't think of anything Jesus was more upset about than profiteering from the Church. I mean Jesus whipped the guilty, overturned tables, and kicked every one of them out of the temple. Jesus did this because people were selling goods in the Church. How can anyone reconcile going to a Church where the pastor does the one thing that set Jesus off?

And how could anyone attending Elevation not do some research on his handpicked "Compensation Committee". Perry Noble is on it. Google the ridiculous things Noble has said. I'll help you out with this link for starters, where he blames non-tithing Christians for homosexuality (see the video). How is this guy on the board? How is this guy invited to Elevation's Code Orange Revivals?

FBC Jax Watchdogs: Perry Noble Blames Homosexuality on Non-Tithing Christians

[SIZE=4]"Maybe there would be less homosexuality in the world today if there were less greedy Christians who actually cared enough to tithe and spread the gospel."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM

Here are the 5 committee members. All seem to be good authors and motivational speakers, so it makes sense for them to team up from a business perspective I suppose (rotate each others campus, market and sell their books and pay each other whatever they want? Seems like a good gig!

Dino Rizzo - former lead pastor of Healing Place Church in Baton Rouge, La.
After resigning from the Healing Place Church in 2012 due to an admitted inappropriate relationship with a female friend, Rizzo is on staff as a "speaker" at Church of the Highlands in Birmingham, Ala., on a "supervised" basis under the direction of Founding Pastor Chris Hodges.

Stovall Weems - lead pastor of Celebration Church in Jacksonville, Fla.
Pastor Weems, along with at least two other members of Elevation Church's Board of Overseers, has participated in the Charlotte megachurch's Code Orange Revival. As WCNC-TV reports, these men are paid to preach at Elevation Church conferences, and they pay Furtick when he preaches at their conferences or megachurches.

Perry Noble - senior pastor at NewSpring Church in Anderson, S.C.
Pastor Noble, who also has spoken at Elevation Church's Code Orange Revival, was reported by The Christian Post last year as coming to Pastor Furtick's defense amid suggestions that the Charlotte pastor does not preach Biblically-sound doctrine.

Kevin Gerald - lead pastor of Champions Centre in Tacoma, Wash.
Pastor Gerald, who also preached at Pastor Furtick's Code Orange Revival, has published several books, including Developing Confidence, Pardon Me, I'm Prospering, The Proving Ground, Raising Champion Children, Forces That Form Your Future, Mind Monsters and By Design or Default.

Jack Graham - pastor of Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, Texas
Dr. Graham, a former president of the Southern Baptist Convention, joined Pastor Furtick, and a handful of other Christian leaders, at Elephant Room 2 in 2012. Dr. Graham also recommended Pastor Furtick's 2012 book, Greater: Dream Bigger. Start Smaller. Ignite God's Vision for Your Life., writing, "Steven Furtick understands spiritual vision like few people I know. If you desire a life beyond your imagination, read this book! Greater will take you to a whole new level and invite you to experience the power of God every day."

Source:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/wh...nistry-107741/

Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post

Sweet. +1 This sums it up perfectly.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:11 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Elevation members keep pointing out all the good Elevation does as an excuse or justification for Furtick's actions (handpicking his own compensation committee, using tithes to market/purchase his books, etc). Couple of things...

1) If they are bringing in $500k/week, wouldn't it make a larger impact if they cut the middle man out (Furtick) and put the money directly into the community? If your real focus is giving to the community, you can do that without Furtick. You can give time as well without Furtick. He's clearly fleecing the flock.

2) I can't think of anything Jesus was more upset about than profiteering from the Church. I mean Jesus whipped the guilty, overturned tables, and kicked every one of them out of the temple. Jesus did this because people were selling goods in the Church. How can anyone reconcile going to a Church where the pastor does the one thing that set Jesus off?

And how could anyone attending Elevation not do some research on his handpicked "Compensation Committee". Perry Noble is on it. Google the ridiculous things Noble has said. I'll help you out with this link for starters, where he blames non-tithing Christians for homosexuality (see the video). How is this guy on the board? How is this guy invited to Elevation's Code Orange Revivals?

FBC Jax Watchdogs: Perry Noble Blames Homosexuality on Non-Tithing Christians

[SIZE=4]"Maybe there would be less homosexuality in the world today if there were less greedy Christians who actually cared enough to tithe and spread the gospel."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
+1 Perry Noble, meet kettle. Kettle, pot - I mean Noble.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
lol

Yup this sorta thing has been going on for 2k+ years now. Nothing really new concept wise, just how it's presented I guess.

I can't help but wonder how many people who defend Furtick remember what was behind The Reformation.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 PM

74 posts, read 133,728 times
Quote:
Here are the 5 committee members. All seem to be good authors and motivational speakers, so it makes sense for them to team up from a business perspective I suppose (rotate each others campus, market and sell their books and pay each other whatever they want? Seems like a good gig!
With all the cross-pollination between these pastors and churches, has it been disclosed what compensation committees Steven Furtick serves on? I can't imagine him not wanting to return the favor to one (or all five!) of these men.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM

373 posts, read 778,343 times
Quote:
lol

So, what is worse?
The false prophets or the congregations that keep giving their resources to them?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
So, what is worse?
The false prophets or the congregations that keep giving their resources to them?
Great topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte