Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 AM

24 posts, read 51,492 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to charlotte area. looking for recommendations to buy a house

not to far from most IT jobs, up to 30 min commute
good school district, no kids right now but planning to have kids
near asian/chinese supermarket or grocery stores, good chinese restaurants
safe area
price up to 300k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 PM

488 posts, read 798,760 times
Most IT jobs are From Mooresville to Rock Hill. About 90 minutes apart. You need to find out where your job is going to be then choose location

Old 12-22-2013, 09:54 PM

24 posts, read 51,492 times
I'm looking for location where there are plenty of IT jobs within a reasonable commute, so if I need to switch job, there are enough opportunities. Are most of these jobs at the downtown area or any area where there is a concentration? or are they evenly spread out. where are the BofA, wellsfargo IT jobs located? I have contracted at both companies before in other states.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
I'm looking for location where there are plenty of IT jobs within a reasonable commute, so if I need to switch job, there are enough opportunities. Are most of these jobs at the downtown area or any area where there is a concentration? or are they evenly spread out. where are the BofA, wellsfargo IT jobs located? I have contracted at both companies before in other states.
There are multiple locations. Wells Fargo has IT people in University and uptown. BofA has people in uptown and Ballantyne. Lowes has their IT people in Mooresville. Many other companies have their people in South Park, Fort Mill or along I-77 somewhere in between.

Last edited by Ex-LI; 12-22-2013 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: fat fingers

Old 12-23-2013, 06:51 AM

300 posts, read 763,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
My wife and I are looking to relocate to charlotte area. looking for recommendations to buy a house

not to far from most IT jobs, up to 30 min commute
good school district, no kids right now but planning to have kids
near asian/chinese supermarket or grocery stores, good chinese restaurants
safe area
price up to 300k

There is no chinese community areas in Charlotte compare to California or NYC. As far as asian chinese market there is about 2 that is large. The nicer is called Grand Asian Market near Matthews. Nice and clean. The other one is located not a safe area. If u need more info you can send me DM (Direct Message) Thanks!

Old 12-23-2013, 08:18 AM

19 posts, read 31,428 times
IT jobs are widespread in Charlotte. I am myself a software developer and I found a job up north closer to Concord. But it is a temporary location, I just wanted to move to Charlotte as soon as possible. Most employers in the financial sector are in downtown, so you need to consider south of Charlotte and check what the commute time is in specific areas.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:47 PM

22 posts, read 32,468 times
I don't see many Chinese in Charlotte, I've been to the Grand Asian store in Matthews but I don't think you can rely on it for your kitchen as it doesn't have many varieties. The same to Chinese restaurant, very rare in Charlotte. But actually the local stores like Costco, Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo are very good and more reliable.
Ballantyne and Matthews have top schools, and safe, if you work in south area.
if you work in uptown (which is downtown), you can choose somewhere close to blue line (the train) stations,
If you work in North, Huntersville is a good choice.

Last edited by olive2008; 12-23-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 01:22 PM

529 posts, read 1,203,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive2008 View Post
I don't see many Chinese in Charlotte, I've been to the Grand Asian store in Matthews but I don't think you can rely on it for your kitchen as it doesn't have many varieties. The same to Chinese restaurant, very rare in Charlotte. But actually the local stores like Costco, Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo are very good and more reliable.
Ballantyne and Matthews have top schools, and safe, if you work in south area.
if you work in uptown (which is downtown), you can choose somewhere close to blue line (the train) stations,
If you work in North, Huntersville is a good choice.
I have to politely disagree with ^this post.
Grand Asia, located far southeast of Charlotte, is a fine Asian grocer. International Market and New Century are both in the same corner, located just northeast of downtown. They are also good, but located in a higher-crime area. (Parking lot is a disaster, so don't drive your Porsche there.)

Another good choice is Super G, which is located in southwest Charlotte. I think Super G is the largest of the choices, and Grand Asia is the smallest, but all 3 choices are good. Grand Asia also has an authentic Chinese restaurant/cafe within. We live near Huntersville and make the long drive to Grand Asia once or twice a month for the food there.

And - No, the regular grocery stores are NOT good for Asian ingredients.

I'm not aware of any Chinese enclaves in Charlotte.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:32 PM

489 posts, read 910,922 times
I think there are a few around South Boulevard. Can't say I've ever been there, though. Just have seen them driving by.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:38 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Most IT jobs are From Mooresville to Rock Hill. About 90 minutes apart. You need to find out where your job is going to be then choose location

As a software engineer I can honestly say you couldn't be more wrong.. Mooresville? You must be joking.. From a statistics or even street-view stand point I don't get what's with people in this forum and Mooresville(it's 10 minutes from my house too)..

There are administration and tech positions in manufacturing and banking, but it's not skilled IT work. Actually most PIC engineer positions(the only real skill roles at pretty much any company you care to mention in the county) fly in vendor or outsourced engineers. Newton even has more tech demand and sophistication because of GM and heavy investment in industrial parks within the last decade by fortune 500 subsidiaries..

There ARE the Google and Apple facilities to contradict me though, if you're a physicist or senior engineer with an epic resume then by all means..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte