Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 14,085 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! First, let me say that I LOVE Charlotte. I have family and friends who live there and I have visited quite a few times and it is seriously a really beautiful city. I currently live outside of Atlanta, which I also love, but is definitely not on the same level as Charlotte as far as aesthetics are concerned.

I am graduating soon and will be looking to relocate and start a new life somewhere. I am leaning now towards a couple of places including Charlotte. I'll be teaching middle school and, considering the schools I went to and the ones where I have student taught, I am not concerned with how "good" or "safe" the school where I end up is. In fact, I would prefer to teach in an inner city school that may have some of those issues surrounding them.

I have been browsing through this site for quite a while now and I just have a few questions:

Seeing as how I will be 23 and moving to a brand new city, I would like to find people around my age to meet and get to know. I also enjoy a more mature crowd but since I will be alone, I don't know that I would be into the more family-oriented activities that some may be involved with. So are there specific neighborhoods that are more for younger professionals or singles in general?

I know that Charlotte is a wonderful city for families, but what is it like overall for young professionals? I have never experienced anything beyond family get togethers while I've visited so I feel like there is a part of Charlotte I haven't seen yet. Also, I am really into live music, farmers markets, and what I guess you would call a more artsy-type of preference for entertainment (however, I still definitely enjoy the wonder that is South Park Mall). So will I be able to find all of these things in Charlotte?

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM

249 posts, read 499,647 times
Sounds like you want to live near uptown or in the Elizabeth/Dilworth area. Close to uptown bars/events for young people and has the stuff you're looking for. Being that I know teachers don't make much $ (my wife) I think the problem is that it is fairly expensive to live there because of it's proximity to uptown. From what I know about ATL, I would almost liken it somewhat to Buckhead. Get 1-2 roommates, and you should be fine.

I love this city and it's where I met my wife.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
Anywhere inside route 4 is where you want to be! NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, interior eastside, Chantilly, Elizabeth, Cherry, Dilworth or maybe Southend. Artsy, edgy trends eastward, button-up types trend southward (Dilworth/Southend).

It's a great city for singles. I moved here as a young single male and really enjoyed the Plaza-Midwood / NoDa scene. Thomas Street, The Steeple, The Penguin, Fat City, Visulite, Neighborhood Theater, P-Stone, Snug Harbor, Jack's, Smoky Joe's, Elizabeth Billiards, Common Market (original location on Commonwealth), and countless late night parties in Plaza-Midwood/Chantilly/Elizabeth/etc. In my neighborhood are people with television shows and record deals and art studios... I'm in what I term the "interior east" (inside route 4, between central ave and Randolph).

Bear in mind you'll probably receive lots of comments warning you about crime/fear/safety. These fears are largely overblown and will come from well-meaning straight suburbanite types. They will try to talk you into Birkdale or Baxter Village. If you're like me, you'll realize with one glance you could never live there.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,314 times
Very solid advice from Native Son! So refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: