Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
so. like, um, yea, like, um , i know valley chick

your buddy sunshine was trying to "research" my earlier post of a house in cutty schools compared to park wood schools at about a $60K difference….so sunshine goes off and quotes 2 totally different houses…..like, um, you following me?
LMAO.... I just can't even ... oh, just stop. Go back to posting 5 year outdated board policy so your FB bunch can go, "oh, where did you get this??? You are such a genius!!"

Quote:
cc, i truly doubt any of your neighbors have a $1,000,000 house….just a hunch tho
ha! ok, if that makes you sleep better at night, bitter much?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well technically, isn't it a 9 to a 5 now?
Well, if you want to get technical, its a 10 to a 9.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Weddington not a 10? SV not a 4?
I thought you were referring to Cuthbertson and Parkwood.

But what grades are you talking about? Either way, you're wrong. The closest you would be to being right is if you're talking about going from WMS to SVHS. But SVHS is a 5, not a 4 (WHS is an 8).

Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM

141 posts, read 198,593 times
i stand corrected….on Carolina School Hub for HS's

Marvin =10
Weddington =10
Cuthbertson = 10
Sun Valley =6
Parkwood =6

Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
i stand corrected….on Carolina School Hub for HS's

Marvin =10
Weddington =10
Cuthbertson = 10
Sun Valley =6
Parkwood =6
Yes and on Greatschools.org they are different. I think a lot of people intermingle them by accident. Both are correct, just with their own ratings.

Marvin = 9
Weddington = 8
Cuthbertson = 9
Sun Valley =5
Parkwood =5

Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I'm curious to hear this boards views on the options the BOE presented last week. We don't all agree, but everyone here offers a lot of great discussion, intelligent opinion, and information that makes for a good debate. We can do an informal poll.

Please pick your top four. Don't rank them and pick ONLY FOUR. No comments or opinions about why you picked them. Just pick 4. When we have enough responses I'll post totals and then we can discuss. I wonder if there are any that we collectively agree upon.

- Multi-Track (4 year round programs)
- Split-Track (half days)
- Change K-5 to K-6
- Build New Schools
- Build Additions to Schools
- Choice Schools/Programs
- Leave Caps
- Add Mobile Classrooms
- Redistrict

Thanks!
We're up to about 12 voters and a few abstainers. Thanks for the data so far. I'll see if we get any stragglers and post a summary tomorrow. Please chime in if you haven't yet. Lurkers are welcome too.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM

136 posts, read 327,490 times
Default Tonight at Stallings Town Council meeting.

Resolution Opposing Union County School Redistricting

Whereas, the Town of Stallings recognizes that several neighborhoods (Arlington Downs, Camelia Park, Callonwood, Chestnut Oaks, Chestnut Place, Estates at Callonwood, Springhill, Wendover at Curry Place, Brookfield, Community Park/Kingsberry, Parkside, Stallings Park, Stoneybrook, Buckingham, Emerald Lake, Country Woods East, Stevens Mill, Fairfield Plantation, Field Lark Trail, Gold Dust, Golden Acres, Hunley Creek, and Willowbrook) and other residents not in subdivisions within our municipality are proposed for redistricting; and

Whereas, the Town of Stallings wants to recognize that a large majority of citizens in Stallings are not in favor of the Union County Board of Education’s redistricting proposal as presented on Tuesday, January 14, 2014; and

Whereas, the Town of Stallings understands that the current redistricting proposal will disrupt the continuity of neighborhoods, affects the sense of a community school, and extends travel time for young student drivers and longer bus rides over major corridors; and

Whereas, the Town of Stallings recognizes and acknowledges the fact the Board of Education is a reactionary body to the tremendous amount of residential growth; and

Whereas, the Town of Stallings also recognizes and acknowledges the role the Council has had over approving zoning for residential growth. This approval was given without consulting the school system regarding impact to growth. The Town of Stallings will consider adding consultation with the school system to the Town’s zoning procedures; and

Whereas, the Town of Stallings would like to be part of the solution not the problem and challenges all of the other governing bodies who approve residential growth to adopt similar practices. All governing bodies need to acknowledge that while each operates independently, each zoning decision could impact other areas of the county indirectly and directly. The Town of Stallings also would like to work with the other governing bodies to develop a long term growth plan that is acceptable to all; and

Now, therefore, be it resolved that the Town of Stallings hereby announces that it does not support the current redistricting plan as proposed by the Union County Board of Education; encourages the Board and its committees to listen to the desires of the citizens of the Town of Stallings and Union County; and strongly encourages the Board of Education to seriously consider the other alternatives to alleviate and address the school population issues; and encourages all governing bodies in Union County come together and be a part of the solution of planning future growth. Furthermore, the Town of Stallings stands with other municipalities in Union County in favor of this resolution.
Adopted this the 27th day of January, 2014.

A lady spoke at public comment that mentioned Sun Valley scheduled for 7 million dollars of improvements by 2015 and to date only 500,000 has been spent. This was allegedly from a 2009 report. How does this get verified?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 PM

31 posts, read 45,645 times
Quote:
RDB….here is the problem with that….in 2008, the Weddington cluster was busting at the seams, so they opened the MR cluster….2 yrs later, the opened the Cutty cluster. Some families, in the space of 3 yrs, went to all 3 clusters (do you really think that is a good situation) This new school "Cuthbertson" was opened and i believe for the first time ever in NC, it achieved "School of Excellence" in its first year (keep me honest on that). Now you want to move those people who basically built Cutty into what it is to lower performing schools, 2.5 times as far away for……get this……this is truly unbelievable……..are you ready….FOR PEOPLE THAT ARENT EVEN HERE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, thats right…..Cuthbertson HS will go down to i believe (again, keep me honest) around 75% capacity. so the BOE is basically saying to a lot of the families that opened and built Cutty "Good job, but we are giving away your spots to……ready for this again….FOR PEOPLE THAT DONT EVEN LIVE HERE YET"!!!!!!!!!….but don't fret people, we will put your kids on a bus ride twice as long and the schools we are sending you too are about 1/2 as good on the rating scale….SUCH A DEAL!!!!!!!!!

lol, unbelievable if you don't think people would be upset
I never mentioned whether anyone should be upset or not. Probably everyone should be upset, from the people that have been moved 3 times already, the people who never heard the term "redistricting" prior to two weeks ago all the way to the people who were sitting at their computer in the Northeast or Midwest freezing their a&&es off this weekend asking themselves, "What about this Union County area by Charlotte as a place to live...". Godspeed to all, but especially the last group who probably don't have the first clue what is going on.

You seem to be implying there is some level of entitlement to those of us that have put time and money into a particular school. At a given point and time, I agree with you and it is a source of pride. Unfortunately, we don't live in a point a time, but a continuum of time where events take place and the basic underpinnings of our environment change, this is especially true of a county that is considered one of the 20th fastest growing in the country and is changing on a yearly basis. I also don't believe anyone has ever signed anything when they closed on their home stating they would remain in the same cluster indefinitely (or at least until their children made it through the system). You point out the progression of Weddington->Marvin Ridge->Cuthbertson. Seems after the initial shock, all those schools fared quite well. I would guess much of the conversation was the same as today, especially with the creation of the Cuthbertson cluster (there are actually some posts in city-data.com from 2008 discussing this). Again, Cuthbertson had a rating of zero in the beginning, did anyone know that it would attain the same level as Weddington and Marvin Ridge in its first year? Probably not. It is the teachers and students that make the rating, not the brick and mortar they are learning in or the name on the outside of the building.

Unfortunately, the argument of "for people that don't live here yet" is quite hollow. I have been here a while and others longer and shorter. Who is to decide when enough is enough? Why was Marvin Ridge built? For all the newcomers in the early 2000's. Why was Cuthbertson built? For all the newcomers in the mid 2000's. This is simply the next round. They are not building an empty school in the middle of an empty cluster and then waiting for homes to be built to populate it. They build the schools when the new growth + the expected growth push the system to certain thresholds. Right now there is an imbalance amongst the clusters in terms of efficiency of facilities, with some being over and some under utilized. As I said before, it seems there is the push to distribute across the schools through redistricting to maximize facility efficiency while relieving some of the strain from the capped schools in the near term. Growth is projected to continue at least at its current pace and with no other options left, new schools will have to be built. I still theorize that the Cuthberston elementary will get built and then a Wesley Chapel ES/MS/HS cluster will be created and then augmented by Newtown Elementary. Finally, nothing is going to get built until our taxes go up and that will only happen once ALL clusters are within an accepted efficiency. Can you imagine the screaming about the taxes going up when some of the clusters are being under utilized? Even if we could magically drop a new cluster from the sky today, where would you put it and what thousands of kids would you move to occupy it? Same damn problem.

My point is all of the options and variations of the options have potentially significant downsides and all have costs associated with them and every individual is going to focus on the downside(s) that is(are) important to them and we could debate and inflate them until the end of time. If there was better cooperation and coordination by the BOE, BOCC and Municipalities we wouldn't be in such a drastic situation that we are today. But that didn't happen because nobody likes to upset the gravy train and therefore where are where we are. All we can do now is assess the situation, get as many facts as we can and make the most sound, logical and lasting decision possible. In parallel, a sound strategic plan needs to be put together to provide a solid path for the next 5 to 10 years to identify the goals of the Union County Educational system and what the BOE, BCC and Municipalities can do to achieve those goals. Last, but certainly not least, the people who vote and pay the taxes to these "chosen" leaders, need to think twice about who they are voting for in the primaries and general elections and put a little more thought into what some of the individuals stand for.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
there has to be enough safe square footage, that is away from windows and doors, to fit everyone safely. If you have ever been in a school during a tornado watch, they pack them in pretty good.

Yes, it does matter how many trailers. Evacuating 2 trailers and evacuating 27 trailers in the event of a tornado might not make a difference to you, but when it is MY child waiting in a line if 500 kids trying to get in during a storm, it makes a difference to me.

It's in school suspension, maybe they are practicing natural selection. j/k.... had to lighten the mood.
If trailers are a weather risk as deemed by the BoE, there is no difference between 1 trailer or 27 trailers. Since a godless tornado (a Les Nessmen term) can occur during a storm with little or no warning, even having one kid in a trailer is putting that kid at risk. So what's the acceptable number of kids the BoE is willing to put at risk - 1, 25, 50? Ok, maybe the IIS kids...

Old 01-28-2014, 03:59 AM

189 posts, read 326,710 times
Quote:
KISS there Sunshine (or is it Cupcake)?

the difference between $340K and $283K is $57K

The difference between a 10 and 4 is 6

Its very simple math

Those are HUGE differences

I don't want my $340K to turn into $283K nor do i want my 10 to become a 4

I would imagine if this is your analysis, then you did indeed paid too much for your house and the loss in value has nothing to do with redistricting, but rather your inability to understand the basic principles when determining a home's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte