Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 08:45 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Aikmus is all over Facebook defending himself. Makes me sick. Get off of social media sites and go to a damn BOE meeting already.
but the kool-aid drinkers are all over what he has to say and as long as he has followers.....

Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
now I am starting to get a complex...
I never thought you were a lady. Matter of fact, I think we've met before.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddbad View Post
Good morning. I am new to posting on here, but have continued to follow this thread from the beginning when I was searching for information regarding the re-districting. There is a parent in my daughter's class that is prettyinvolved with all of this. She sent out an email to some parents regarding aconversation she had with Frank Aikmus. Not sure if it is relevant or anythingnew, but thought I would share.

"For thoseof you who have not heard, last night the BOE turned down the $3M offer fromthe BOCC because they believed it was tied to the $91M judgment. I was upset by this news, so I emailed the BOCC this morning asking for an explanation andrequesting that they offer the funds without any strings attached. Afterreceiving my email, Mr. Frank Aikmus, the Chairman, reached out to me by phone and had a very candid conversation. According to him, the BOE did not reach outto the BOCC until approximately 4:07 pm last night to discuss the $3M offer. The attorneys for both sides spoke, but somehow the BOE's attorney did not understand the terms. The only "condition" ofthe offer was that the funds had to be used for MCRs. The BOCC's goal was to useit for MCRs to stop the redistricting and give us time to come up with long term planning. Mr. Aikmus stated that the money was in no way tied to the judgment. Later that evening(during the BOE open session) he received an email from an angry parent asking why they (the BOCC) would lie to us. He didn't know what was going on and immediately started to investigate. Shortly after 7:00 there were multiple correspondences (texts, emails, calls) that began between the BOCC andBOE. He tried to make it clear that the money was not coming from the judgment.He wanted the BOE to take another vote on the money, but that didn't occur last night. He's trying to get the BOE to meet with the BOCC, but to no avail.
I think thisredistricting issue can be resolved, but we have to find a way to get the boards to sit down and talk this out. Please reach out to the BOE. We need themto understand the terms, have a revote to accept the funds, and start long term planning. Please spread the word to everyone you can."

Again not sure if this is relevant, but thought I would spread the word. I figured if there a group to spread it to, this would be a good place. Thanks.

If you could spread this word back to the parent who is in with Aikmus.

That's not what his own letters said. He signed both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post

$3M Trailer Letter: http://protectucps.files.wordpress.c...k-2-4-2014.pdf

"...If this is agreeable to the Board of Education, we would propose that our understanding be reduced to a written agreement similar to that currently under development for additional roofing appropriations. We look forward to your response.If this is agreeable to the Board of Education, we would propose that our understanding be reduced to a written agreement similar to that currently under development for additional roofing appropriations. We look forward to your response."

Roof Repair Letter: http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...021%202014.pdf

"...This proposal should not be considered an offer to settle the appeal of the jury's verdict rendered last year, Instead this is an offer to address the roofing needs. The terms of this proposal are:

1. Regardless of the outcome of the appeal, the $5,357,859 appropriated by Union County in October, 2013 will be credited to pay the balance of the UCPS capital outlay request contained in its 2013-2014 budget request.

2. Union County would immediately appropriate to UCPS the additional amount of $9,578,595 to be used solely for those roofing projects identified in the spreadsheet attached to your January 14, 2014, letter, plus the emerging roofing project at Parkwood High School further described in the letter. UCPS would use its best efforts to expedite the repair and/or replacement of these roofs prior to the end of the current fiscal year.

3. In the event Union County does not prevail in its appeal of the portion of the judgment related to capital outlay and the judgment is affirmed, UCPS would credit the amount of $14,936,454 against the jury award for capital outlay, which amount is the sum of $9,578,595 plus the $5,357,859 already appropriated by the Board of Commissioners.

4. In the event Union County prevails in its appeal of the pot1ion of the judgment related to capital outlay and UCPS is not entitled to a retrial of the capital outlay portion of its claim, or is entitled only to a retrial of the portion of the 2013-2014 capital outlay request that Union County did not fund when it adopted its 2013-2014 budget, UCPS would credit the amount of$5,357,859 against the 2013-2014 capital outlay budget request, in full satisfaction of its capital outlay request for the fiscal year 2013-2014.

5. In the event Union County prevails in its appeal of the capital outlay portion of the judgment and UCPS is entitled to, and pursues, re-trial on capital outlay, the amount of $14,936,454 would be credited against any subsequent capital outlay judgment rendered against the County on re-trial.

6. The terms of this arrangement would need to be reduced to a written agreement executed by both parties and approved by the court, if necessary."

If there is a new or different agreement without terms then it should be made public. Simple as that. If he has time to post on the Kool Aid FB groups just post the agreement that doesn't have the terms.

Transparency right not FB spin.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:57 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
LOL. Please don't. I think it was more than likely the passion/emotion in some of your statements that made me assume you were a Mama-Bear. A stereo-type on my part, so I apologize. Papa-Bears can be emotional and passionate just the same

Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM

149 posts, read 535,843 times
Quote:
Aikmus is all over Facebook defending himself. Makes me sick. Get off of social media sites and go to a damn BOE meeting already.

I'm not clear about why the 3M matters at this point.

That offer was made by the BOCC to both garner votes and further alienate parents from the BOE.

The BOE has been clear (as far as I can tell) that they do not want the money for trailers, strings or not.

It disgusts me that the BOCC will offer up 3 million dollars only to attempt to control the BOE, and is not willing to allow that same 3 million be used to fix a roof.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
I'm not clear about why the 3M matters at this point.

That offer was made by the BOCC to both garner votes and further alienate parents from the BOE.

The BOE has been clear (as far as I can tell) that they do not want the money for trailers, strings or not.

It disgusts me that the BOCC will offer up 3 million dollars only to attempt to control the BOE, and is not willing to allow that same 3 million be used to fix a roof.

Amen. Dirty, disgusting politics at the expense of our kids. I see it like this: you have a home that has a leaking roof, plumbing issues, etc - rather than using your money to fix those things first, you decide instead to build an addition on the house for more square footage. Makes no sense. Neither does the MCR proposal (strings or no strings).

Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Which students do you mean cc when you say majority of those students? The 10-12, 8 and 5? Or every sitting student?
I think every sitting student (again, to the natural transition, not the la la land grandfathering otherwise discussed.)
There is room for it, it would avoid an additional transition for those that want to avoid it. It would be beneficial for most of the county and the majority of children (my own being an exception).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I guess they would have to weigh the transitioning as an rising 7th or 8th, versus then having to be a rising freshman at the new-to-you school.

I think it is easier moving before school. The dynamic on the first day at the high school is everyone from the previous year is gathered around talking to those they did not really get to see over the summer "catching up" and the new ones are more on the side not saying much. I think it may be easier to do it earlier if in fact they will be moved eventually. The longer you stay with a group you will eventually leave I would think makes it harder rather than easier.
I agree with you. I would move my own fourth grader to start a new school in fifth, as opposed to in sixth. Gives her time to adjust in smaller numbers, and build some bonds before the big transition. No way I would move in sixth. HOWEVER, if I decided that the new school was not acceptable to the standards I wanted for my own child, I would choose to have her remain in fifth at her own school, while I applied to private or charter or magnet..... or moved. Again, I don't blame anyone for doing what is best for THEIR child, I just think the BOE has to look for what's best for the COUNTY. Sometimes, those two are not the same.

Quote:

So funny. I never thought you were a mom. You, CJ, WaxhawMike, tooLogical and raithfan I think as all guys.

I'm curious... what about me?

Quote:
Amen. Dirty, disgusting politics at the expense of our kids. I see it like this: you have a home that has a leaking roof, plumbing issues, etc - rather than using your money to fix those things first, you decide instead to build an addition on the house for more square footage. Makes no sense. Neither does the MCR proposal (strings or no strings).
What is even worse, is they have stated, AFTER the 3 million proposal, that they would now only have X amount in reserve, or something like that. Don't know the exact specifics. So now, after they spend 3 million, they are going to say they don't have extra money to pay for the roofs! So frustrating when people say the 3 million is completely unrelated... it IS NOT.

If somebody owed you $91,000 dollars, that you DESPERATELY needed to repair your home and the homes of your family, but told you they didn't have any way to come up with that money. But then all of a sudden offered you $3,000 for several new tents, even though you didn't need a tent and had plenty of living space in your existing homes, because he wanted to dictate what your living arrangements should be when it is none of their business, you would be ok with that?????

Old 02-20-2014, 11:39 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
So funny. I never thought you were a mom. You, CJ, WaxhawMike, tooLogical and raithfan I think as all guys.

Correct on me. My guess is you're a female.

Quote:
If somebody owed you $91,000 dollars, that you DESPERATELY needed to repair your home and the homes of your family, but told you they didn't have any way to come up with that money. But then all of a sudden offered you $3,000 for several new tents, even though you didn't need a tent and had plenty of living space in your existing homes, because he wanted to dictate what your living arrangements should be when it is none of their business, you would be ok with that?????
Great analogy!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
I'm curious about another impact on the schools. Not that this is a priority for me, but others are die hard sports and band boosters. Has anyone heard what the proposed redistricting would do to teams, clubs and bands? Did WHS just lose half their baseball team? Could athletes take advantage of the grandfathering options and create a super team at one HS? (some opt to stay at HS"A" and others join from HS"B"?) I wonder if the coaches will be out there lobbying? Do bands increase/decrease as a result?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:

What is even worse, is they have stated, AFTER the 3 million proposal, that they would now only have X amount in reserve, or something like that. Don't know the exact specifics. So now, after they spend 3 million, they are going to say they don't have extra money to pay for the roofs! So frustrating when people say the 3 million is completely unrelated... it IS NOT.

Analogies make things so simple and clear sometimes, yes? Maybe the facebookers would better understand if they saw the scenario broken down in such a fashion. Nah, probably not. Oh, and I'm pretty sure you're a Dad. But I've mistaken two men already for women, so who really knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte