Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM

149 posts, read 535,955 times

Advertisements

There seems to be alot of worry about Parkwood. Does anyone on here have experience with Parkwood, who can share what it's really like?? I've read alot of scary/negative comments-but they seem to be from people who have never had kids actually attend the school.
My kids were at Wesley Chapel, probably the ugliest, oldest school around- and we loved it! My favorite elementary school experience in raising 5 kids in 3 states .
So I'm curious if anyone can share Parkwood experiences, to hopefully alleviate some of the concerns that current Cutherbertson parents may have?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 PM

44 posts, read 67,183 times
I see that Weddington High and Middle are slated to lose kids. I am still wondering where this will come from and if the areas to the North like Chestnut and Callonwood will be effected.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 PM

398 posts, read 618,817 times
Our kids love Parkwood and WXW elem. When we moved here we met with all the school admistrators and found the most accessible to be Parkwood. Its true, every kids there may not aspire to college but the kids who do have a rich, hands-on environment in which to thrive. Its been a great choice for us...our kids have made great friends with really nice, well-mannered kids and there grades and test scores are fantastic.

One quick oneMMMwhy don't they move the IB program out of MR to another school (Parkwood, Sun Valley, etc)...that would drive voluntary redistricting

Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM

"Their"...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antneye View Post
I see that Weddington High and Middle are slated to lose kids. I am still wondering where this will come from and if the areas to the North like Chestnut and Callonwood will be effected.
I don't know where those subdivisions are, but keep in mind that all lines seem to be moving West, and the rea view/marvin ridge line isnt moving.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Union County maintains a subdivision map - link below...

Thanks to jlat for continuing to provide updates.

I have no idea how anyone can speak definitively on this process - especially when there appears to be little to no transparency on the overall process and all the datapoints the facilities committee are working with are not publicly available. Numbers on a forecast or spreadsheet at the cluster or county level are good from a high level, but it's largely meaningless from a redistricting perspective as we have no idea how they plan to get to those counts. You can speculate based on the numbers changing, but honestly it's an exercise in futility - even a cluster proposed to remain at the same counts could just be reported as a net zero, yet be impacted by redistricting. 100 kids move out and 100 kids move in - on the proposal it will appear as "no change", yet that may not be true at all.

GIS Standard Maps

Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM

98 posts, read 165,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Our kids love Parkwood and WXW elem. When we moved here we met with all the school admistrators and found the most accessible to be Parkwood. Its true, every kids there may not aspire to college but the kids who do have a rich, hands-on environment in which to thrive. Its been a great choice for us...our kids have made great friends with really nice, well-mannered kids and there grades and test scores are fantastic.

One quick oneMMMwhy don't they move the IB program out of MR to another school (Parkwood, Sun Valley, etc)...that would drive voluntary redistricting
I'm sure some people like going to Parkwood and have a good experience but some don't . If you really want to find out about the school just check the Web. It's full of information. Call your local police dept as well to get the facts instead or hearsay.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
I'm sure some people like going to Parkwood and have a good experience but some don't . If you really want to find out about the school just check the Web. It's full of information. Call your local police dept as well to get the facts instead or hearsay.
Because everyone that posts on the web tells at it is all the time.

Go out and tour the school, talk to parents, talk to kids, talk to volunteers, and by all means talk to the staff, ask to shadow for a day, current students not necessarily those from 5 years ago who have moved on. Many staff switch over etc.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 PM

98 posts, read 165,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
There seems to be alot of worry about Parkwood. Does anyone on here have experience with Parkwood, who can share what it's really like?? I've read alot of scary/negative comments-but they seem to be from people who have never had kids actually attend the school.
My kids were at Wesley Chapel, probably the ugliest, oldest school around- and we loved it! My favorite elementary school experience in raising 5 kids in 3 states .
So I'm curious if anyone can share Parkwood experiences, to hopefully alleviate some of the concerns that current Cutherbertson parents may have?
All I can tell you is look at the numbers. They don't lie. The county is responsible for producing these numbers. Go to greatschools.com and see the scores which are produced by the BOE and the county.

Parkwood is rated a 3
Cuthbertson is rated a 9
Marvin ridge is rated a 10
Weddington is rated a 9

Also I have a few friends in the union county sheriffs dept as well as waxhaw PD and you can call your local police dept and ask for the info on incident scores as well. Parkwood is a 2.68 as of last year. And look at graduating rate in Parkwood that is also lower than the other 3 schools. As far as new people moving to the waxhaw area just an FYI if you are anywhere from the North you will not be liked in Parkwood. I'll give you my personal experience about 3 yrs ago just playing Rec baseball with 13 yr olds. The parents would yell at us saying "go back from where you came from we don't want you here". And the coach had his son intentionally hit 6 of our kids. He was overheard telling his son if he didn't he would hear it on the ride home. Oh and the coach had a mullet. No I'm not making this up. It was and is fact. The parents were just as bad as the kids. So do you homework before you make a mistake. Ratings don't lie. With re districting I can tell you a lot of people will be very angry as some are already planning to sell and move or just walk away from there homes rather than go to Parkwood. They say ratings will go up when kids from Cuthbertson are re districted . I don't think so because you will still have the same teachers there that are producing a "3" rating. Teachers are exactly that. They are supposed to teach our children how to be the best they can be in life. So I would rather stick with a 9-10 school. They said " some " teacher "might" be transferred to Parkwood. I would say in order to change it drastically you would have to change the entire staff and faculty. My taxes are higher than "3" rated teaching. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but you move to an area and pay extra for the best schools possible for your kids. If I wanted my kids to have a farming education I could of saved a lot of money and bought a home with wheels on it. Again this is just MY opinion.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM

I understand the frustration on all sides but we might not guide people to the web. When I googled "what union county school has drug problem"this came up first:
"Parents Work With Police To Cut Drug Problems At Union County High School
UNION CO., N.C. —

Nearly 200 neigbors in an affluent North Carolina neighborhood sounded off Thursday night in a meeting with Sheriff's Deputies and school leaders. They said they wanted more help with a drug problem in Hunter Oaks Subdivision. Earlier this week, Eyewitness News reported that a Marvin Ridge High School student, who lives in the neighborhood, was arrested for shooting another teen three times during a drug deal on Sunday night.
On Thursday, the Home Owners Association President said crime has gotten so bad that people are on edge.

"Some parents don't even want their kids to go to the bus stop. They've asked the bus to go directly to their house because they're in fear of something happening to their kids," said Todd Haynes.

Haynes said the home owner's associaiton has been taking pictures, and surveliance of teen drug deals for two years. He said neighbors told deputies, but little was done.

"It's extremely frustrating," said Haynes.

Haynes and those frustrated neighbors asked the Sheriff to communicate with them more. They want schools to give more drug education and parents to tighten up on their teens.

The Union County Sheriff, who was at Thursday's meeting, said his department has been working with the neighborhood for the past few years to gradually increase patrols. Deputies said the teenager shot during Sunday's drug deal was in critical condition."

I think we all see what we want to see on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte