Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 AM

98 posts, read 132,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
They only needed 2 pieces of data to redraw the maps:
  • Current school capacities (no one was arguing what they were in 2013)
  • 20-day enrollment numbers for 2013-2014 school year
That's it.

Because they wanted this to not occur every year, they projected out 5 years with hopes of having new schools by then. For that they needed one more piece of data:
  • Projected enrollment through 2018 (current data + McKibben provide that)
We all have that. UCPS redrew the lines based on that data. They don't need DOT traffic studies, detailed bus routes (as Savage finally maybe figured out), safety studies (they already have those built into the capacities), etc.

Just because someone doesn't like the results doesn't mean it was wrong.

LOL, who decides that DOT traffic studies are not needed? you? because it does not fit in your argument? You think its a sound solid plan to move up to 15% of your student population and totally disregard traffic? That isn't too logical....I guess you like the dart board and crayon method better

Old 03-25-2014, 10:20 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
If you want to use analogies

The other night I had the strangest dream. My wife and I were driving around looking for somewhere to eat. The first restaurant we came to was a country style diner. That's not really our thing but it looked nice so we decided to go in and check it out. The restaurant was about 1/2 full and we were about to take our seats when we noticed the health rating... 89. We decided to leave and some of the other customers gave us nasty looks, like we thought we were too good to eat there.

The second restaurant was a little older but we thought we'd give it a try... until we entered and noticed a bucket catching water leaking from the ceiling. There were people eating there and it didn't seem to bother them but it just wasn't for us, so again we moved on.

The last restaurant was a little newer than the others. We entered and noticed a rating of 100... also no buckets on the floor. We took our seats, got our menus, and ordered drinks. The prices were a lot higher than we expected but we thought it would be worth it... we made our choice. Around 7pm we were finishing up our salads and the manager came over and said that he would need our table for a large party coming in. We asked what time they were coming and he said he wasn't sure but that he knew they'd show up. Of course we were shocked. How in the world could they just ask us to leave? I told him that we had not even gotten our meal yet but he went on undeterred in his insistence that we must leave. My wife was starting to get angry and said that he couldn't just throw us out when the other people didn't have a reservation and hadn't even arrived yet... we were here first. The manager pointed to a sign on the wall that read "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". Then he said, "the sign clearly says that I can throw you out at anytime for no reason. I can't believe you are acting surprised when the sign is posted clearly and you knew it when you sat down."

A strange dream indeed
Mike...I like your story. I would suggest skipping cheese course before bedtime.
I would only hope to amend that. All the restaurant are owned by the sdame owner...the local govenment and are funded by such. Like UCTax said...funds dried up for the first two as they pumped money into the. Latter. We agree that this is a travesty. What used to have a 100 pc rating has dropped as they poured what little funding was available into the new places. Now is time to take the profits and put them back into the original establishments and build them back to their former glory.
Perhaps if this were done earlier we wouldn't be having this argument and you would sleep better.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM

18 posts, read 22,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
LOL, who decides that DOT traffic studies are not needed? you? because it does not fit in your argument? You think its a sound solid plan to move up to 15% of your student population and totally disregard traffic? That isn't too logical....I guess you like the dart board and crayon method better
Hammer it sounds like it is the other way around to be honest. It fits in the "forced busing", "dangerous roads", "traffic issues" arguments that a traffic study is needed. But from my understanding, no Board of Education within North Carolina is required to do a traffic study to redraw school boundary lines. Parents who are not happy are deciding it is needed as they feel it will somehow invalidate the lines. This is a rural county, we must travel certain distances to get places. We all moved here knowing this was a rural community with rural roads. People actually try to shut down commercial development out here making residents drive even further to get to things like Super WalMart, etc. But no one complains about having to drive further in those cases.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:

You are totally incorrect on McKibben. He said that he did not agree with the size of the redistricting plan and that if he had been asked to develop a plan (vs. a population forecast) it would have been a multi-year and mulit-faceted approach that combined many different strategies.

Capping was a strategic move to force redistricting for the next school year. It had nothing to do with a need to cap.

As far as the 284... it is what it is, as they say.
nope I heard the same thing Mikey and TooLogical did, if McKibben were to have run the redistrict it would be 5x the size of the current one, a whole rearrange if you will

Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM

98 posts, read 132,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
Excuse me, I don't vote for Waxhaw town council, Marvin town council, Weddington town council, Indian Trail town council, the people who live there do! I don't live there. What's so hard to understand that the majority of BOE funds were going to the western part of the county for the past 8-10 years to build schools is so hard to understand? I didn't blame the people for that, I blame the town councils for laying in bed with the developers, 70% last year is attributable to those town councils NOT the county commissioners. The BOE can only spend what it's given by the BOCC. What I do blame is the lawsuit costing taxpayers money that could be spent repairing schools, you can't deny that at all. As far as my screaming about repairs being made just what possesses you to think that I and other parents haven't been doing precisely that. It's called a budget and one has to live within their means and that applies to the BOE as well. By golly yes I do vote and you can be sure I will be casting a vote against the 3 brokering themselves together and any other person who decided to run because of this redistricting and is being patted on the back by lapping dogs thinking that all the money will flow to them if they win. Just where were you screaming about repairs being made to the older schools, especially since most of the group crying right now have admitted they knew about mold in WUES school since 2006, oh that's right, they just chose to buy a house elsewhere so little princess or prince didn't have to go there, it's ok for other kids to breathe it in but not their little princesses/princes. But we're now supposed to believe if we hold your hand and skip to court with you to help you win an injunction you're going to be screaming and fighting for repairs for ALL schools, umm, provided yours are done first either with MCR's, building on wings or building new schools as some are screaming for, lol. Simply amazing.

What have you done UC? Parents have been flooding the BOE meetings in the past? that would be a NO. I have been to BOE meetings long before this redistricting issue and there were more crickets in the audience than people. I have never heard anyone speak out about the roof in SV prior to redistricting. so I don't know what you claimed to have been doing, but it wasn't working to well....you talk about the mold issue since 2006. WHY ARENT THOSE PARENTS OF STUDENTS THAT ARE GOING TO THOSE SCHOOLS SCREAMING....PICKETING....DOING SOMETHING TO CALL ATTENTION TO IT??????????GET OFF YOUR BACKSIDE AND DO SOMETHING as opposed to waiting for someone else to rescue you. I don't want you holding my hand UC, but don't expect me to hold your hand and fix something in your backyard. Put on your big boy pants and do something about it instead of accepting it with the reasoning of "duhhhhh, I guess it will get done whenever, its ok little johnny, we will keep refilling your inhaler because you cant breathe"....sheesh

Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
nope I heard the same thing Mikey and TooLogical did, if McKibben were to have run the redistrict it would be 5x the size of the current one, a whole rearrange if you will
Ok, I'll bite... where did you "hear" this? Go back to that person and tell them that they lied to you.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM

33 posts, read 54,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I think jrobertsons analogy is more on point. No one is saying "leave"...they are saying you have to move to another room in the house. UCPS is the house and each school is a room. and while there is space in the other room we are going to use it because it is more fiscally responsible than adding onto the house when just need bunkbeds. No one is saying you have to leave the system and go to private school (although that is apparently prefered over "gangland").
raithfan, I think thats where the crux of the disagreements come in. You say that UCPS is one big house and people are being asked to move to another room in the house.

The others are saying its more like UCPS is a community and people are being asked to move to another house in that community.

If we were just moving to another room in the same house then we would still be with the other occupants of the house which we reside and the relationships would be the same, we would simply be doing it in another area of the SAME house. If we are being moved to another house in the same community then Yes the overall picture is the same as we are part of the same community but by being forced to move to another house to allow a new person into our room. We are essentially being forced to lose relationships from the house we were in and forced to make noes ones in the new house we are going to.

Not saying that either scenario is the end of the world by any means, I just think its human nature to resist being forced into something you do not want or haven't decided on your own. Especially when it is to make room for someone new at your expense. Why aren't the new folks being asked to go to the other house in the community or other room in the house as you put it???

I think that is the real crux of the issue for many and not the other BS being spewed about.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite... where did you "hear" this? Go back to that person and tell them that they lied to you.
Thats odd, because Dr. McKibben stated that the redistrict was not needed in the scope that it was proposed and he made that clear to the UCPS Admin

Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
I heard it too, Mike, but I'd love to see an official email or document either way.

Early in this process we heard McKibben said the numbers were too high, but we never saw anything official. Just hearsay. I'm sure if it was tangible it would have been all over the media, in the lawsuit, etc. That would have been very powerful. I don't even see McKibben mentioned in the claim.

Later in the process we heard someone did contact McKibben and was told the number would be 2-3 times higher than the 5800. But again nothing tangible was produced. If it was UCPS or the BOE that talked to him, they should have shared it. That would have quieted a lot of people down. If it were a CAPS person that found it, I doubt they'd ever share it publicly since it wouldn't fit their narrative.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
Which it's perfectly ok with the ones fighting it as long as it's not THEIR child in that shed with the leaky roof! These sheds with the leaky roofs were put off and put off while schools were built on the western side of the county with the proverbial excuse "sorry, we don't have any more money to fix your leaky roofs, fire alarms that don't work, bleachers that might fall down while full of parents/students and you might break a leg or worse during that fall, to rid your school of mold etcetcetc" with a little condescending pat on the head to boot. This group is more than willing to keep spending taxpayer money to continue this fight while the older schools repairs still go on the back burner. If you want to blame someone for this redistricting and your falling home values then blame the right freaking people, go stand in front of your local municipality town councils and demand THEY fix your overcrowding issue by putting a moratorium on issuing those building permits with the developers they are in bed with. Local municipalities accounted for 70% of the building permits last year, NOT the BOCC and most certainly NOT the BOE. They are only having to have to deal with the mess created by YOUR local governments, y'all voted these people into power NOT the rest of Union County. This group sucked up to Frank Akimus patting him on the back, hailing him a hero and sucking at his teat when he was spouting lies out both sides of his mouth. It just pumped up his ego so much that hey, I can take over the fixing of the schools, building of the schools and get us out of that $91 million dollar judgment by doing so! So what did that accomplish, splintering and pushing the BOCC and the BOE even further apart and making a budget negotiation for next year once again a living nightmare for UCPS/BOE to get funding in order to actually get things repaired once again. Yea, that group deserves a big ole pat on the back, sarcasm intended.
UCtaxpayer, you are right people should blame their local municipalities. But what do you say to the people who do NOT live in the municipalities that have screwed the pooch, Who cannot vote for or against these idiots that issued the local building permits - YET are being screwed and moved as well.

The people who do not live in these municipalities and cannot control the idiots that pass these permits should not be screwed because of their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte