Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:01 AM

124 posts, read 521,921 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking out in the Charlotte area for over 1.5 years and have taken 3 trips during that time. After a lot of research and some answered prayers it looks we are just about ready. Only problem is (if you can even call it a problem) too many good neighborhoods to choose from.

Looking for first hand reviews of how it is living in some of these communities. The good, the bad, friendliness of neighborhood, convenience to everyday necessities, commute to uptown, etc. Anything you can give is greatly appreciated. Any other newer communities that you would like to brag about are more than welcome as well.

Criteria:

- 30-40 minute commute to uptown
- under 400k
- Newer young family community (of course generation mix is always good, just no retirement communities )
- Possibility of 3 car garage is a plus
- 2300sq ft or larger
- approx 1/4 - 1/3 acre lots
- Prefer to stay near the west side to be close to the lakes for future boating

so please this is an opportunity to toot your own communities horn. I'd love to hear all about it.

We are planning another trip in November which will hopefully be our final scouting trip. Thanks so much in advance for contributing this is an irreplaceable resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 04:03 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,145 times
I'd vote for Baxter in Ft. Mill. It's an awesome community. It's also near Lake Wylie. Good luck in your search!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:33 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I'd vote for Baxter in Ft. Mill. It's an awesome community. It's also near Lake Wylie. Good luck in your search!!!
Not sure, but I THINK getting into Baxter has gotten tougher pricewise. Not too sure you can find anything there under 450,000 anymore It would be my top choice though if you could.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,683 times
with 400K there are many homes as you already know. I would look into some other things like ammenties, HOA dues etc etc....

I think something like McCauley, Skybrook (maybe) Northstone etc etc... These are all on the NorthSide of town! Minutes from the lake etc.

Good Luck... Let me know if I can be of any help....

Old 10-24-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not sure, but I THINK getting into Baxter has gotten tougher pricewise. Not too sure you can find anything there under 450,000 anymore It would be my top choice though if you could.
It looks like you can still find places starting in the low 300s there but by the time you add a few options and close you are realistically looking around 340k. Definitely a bit more expensive than last year... Then again when we first started looking we could have gotten a 3300sq ft place in the Palisades for about 320k. My how times have changed. Thanks for the input thus far.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadetroit View Post
It looks like you can still find places starting in the low 300s there but by the time you add a few options and close you are realistically looking around 340k. Definitely a bit more expensive than last year... Then again when we first started looking we could have gotten a 3300sq ft place in the Palisades for about 320k. My how times have changed. Thanks for the input thus far.
Amazing how much the homes in the Palisades have gone up isn't it??? Not sure, but a month or so ago there was a thread about Brewick (sp?). People liked it a lot but were warning about a particular builder there. If I can find the thread I will bump it up for you to read

Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Amazing how much the homes in the Palisades have gone up isn't it??? Not sure, but a month or so ago there was a thread about Brewick (sp?). People liked it a lot but were warning about a particular builder there. If I can find the thread I will bump it up for you to read
Yes the Palisades story is amazing, it was pretty evident from the community plans though that it was going to be something special, should have jumped when we had the chance, but timing was just not right for us.

Thank you, I did read that thread about Berewick. They were warning of Shea, which is too bad they really have some nice plans. They probably would be alright but would take a little babysitting going out to the site frequently during the build (which is not a bad thing anyway). Hopefully they will chime in regarding how that community is living wise regardless of there builder experience. Maybe I'll try to PM them. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 AM

oh and no offense Thenry but I do have a realtor I am working with so please to not solisite on this thread and get it blocked They have rules on these forums for that, you have to dance lightly around offering your services. All the best to you though.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:59 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,733 times
If I was only able to choose between those 3...my vote would also be Baxter (in Fort Mill, SC).

Not sure if you are aware of this but Regency Park (in Fort Mill) prior to its rebirth was Heritage USA (Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker). While there is a new ministries within Regency Park (MorningStar) they still seem to have very close ties to Heritage USA (Jim Bakker was a quest speaker awhile back).

Regency has also been in the local paper of late due to HOA problems and just recently there was a story in regard to a tax lien on the golf course in Regency Park

(http://www.fortmilltimes.com/local/story/6156078p-5387173c.html (broken link))

Old 10-24-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
If I was only able to choose between those 3...my vote would also be Baxter (in Fort Mill, SC).

Not sure if you are aware of this but Regency Park (in Fort Mill) prior to its rebirth was Heritage USA (Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker). While there is a new ministries within Regency Park (MorningStar) they still seem to have very close ties to Heritage USA (Jim Bakker was a quest speaker awhile back).

Regency has also been in the local paper of late due to HOA problems and just recently there was a story in regard to a tax lien on the golf course in Regency Park

(http://www.fortmilltimes.com/local/story/6156078p-5387173c.html (broken link))
Hey LTC I did not know that about regency. Funny i was emerced in a thread a few weeks ago that talked about the old Heritage USA, I followed it to a link of some guy who walked through the ruins taking tons of pictures and describing what use to be and what is now. Kinda creepy... and sad, looks like it use to be a heck of a place. Anyway thanks for the info. Another vote for Baxter, can't wait to check it out. Too bad Lake Shore is all but filled up by you I really did like that community as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte