Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM

128 posts, read 251,369 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

So I will be visiting Charlotte this weekend for 2-3 days to see Bruce Springsteen in concert on Saturday night. I will be arriving Friday evening and leaving either Sunday evening or some time on Monday. I would really love to explore what the city has to offer and learn about the culture and the history. I'm not too high on going to nightlcubs or bars, but love walking around and going to parks or doing an outdoorsy activity. I'm trying to plan an itinerary for the weekend and wanted to ask if you guys have any suggestions on what I can do during my limited stay in the city?

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by loss4words; 04-15-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM

16,777 posts, read 8,259,963 times
Nascar hall of fame is fun to go to, Whitewater Center (usnwc.org). I always enjoy walking around uptown as it is clean and well maintained.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 AM

11 posts, read 13,810 times
A few suggestions:

Charlotte Knights vs. Gwinnett Braves game on Friday night 7:05 at new Ballpark Uptown to catch a game (if tickets are still available)

Romare Bearden Park (right next to Charlotte Knights Ballpark) to walk around in the park, enjoy the weather and the skyline view

U.S. National Whitewater Center where you can zipline, kayak, raft, hike, etc.

Explore Noda or Plaza Midwood where there are breweries, food and other activities

I am not sure how you feel about segway tours but there are guided tours of the city of Charlotte.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Thank you guys for the suggestions!!

I'm very interested in the guided tours, and will definitely look one up and I will try to go for walk in the uptown area one afternoon. How safe is it going for a walk in the evening?

How is hiking like in the US National Whitewater Center? I'm not very interested in water sports but would love to go on a coupe of hours hike if there is a good park.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 AM

343 posts, read 602,359 times
You can also visit Crowders Mountain State Park to hike. It's an easy drive. You will be safe in the uptown area during the evening.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksuther View Post
You can also visit Crowders Mountain State Park to hike. It's an easy drive. You will be safe in the uptown area during the evening.
Thanks I don't have a car and don't intend to drive myself. What is the public transportation like or if I need to have a taxi take me there and back?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM

56 posts, read 106,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Thank you guys for the suggestions!!

I'm very interested in the guided tours, and will definitely look one up and I will try to go for walk in the uptown area one afternoon. How safe is it going for a walk in the evening?

How is hiking like in the US National Whitewater Center? I'm not very interested in water sports but would love to go on a coupe of hours hike if there is a good park.
Charlotte is a great place to raise a family, but, as a tourist, you're in for a massive let down. You can walk the entire stretch of downtown Charlotte in ten minutes. There is nothing to see or do unless you like third-rate museums.

Last edited by LordGrantham; 04-15-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,813,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrantham View Post
There is nothing to see or do unless you like third-rate museums.
And yet TripAdvisor is filled with positive reviews from satisfied tourists. Bizarre

Old 04-15-2014, 04:07 PM

56 posts, read 106,927 times
I guess it depends on where one comes from. Those from Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Oh., etc, have low expectations. Those from NY, SF, Boston, etc. will be disappointed.

Charlotte is a great place to live, as are the other cities I mentioned, but like Columbus, et al., it's a boring place to visit. Dr. Johnson's famous quote about London could apply to NY or SF -- not to Charlotte, Columbus, Puttsburgh, Atlanta, etc.

Last edited by LordGrantham; 04-15-2014 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,881,811 times
Uptown includes Fourth Ward, a neat, older neighborhood to explore with parks and Victorian houses. Along with other suggestions, Elizabeth and Dilworth are nice walkable neighborhoods to explore. While Charlotte isn't NYC or San Francisco, it has plenty to do. There are tons of parks and greenways around the city with excellent trails. Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte