Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Have you been drinking? I didn't say ANYTHING about "all stadiums." As a matter of fact, the only thing I said about taxes was that BB&T received all they were going to receive. And THAT was only brought up because somehow, you correlated someone else commenting on what they paid for a bottle of water at the cinema to taxpayer funding of...well, I don't know, because you keep changing the venue.

I think, as another poster suggested, if you want to P&M about taxes (and since you live in CATAWBA, I don't see that you have a dog in the fight), perhaps you should choose the appropriate venue.
Missed that, someone in Catawaba County is complaining about Charlotte taxes? THat explains WBT. Anyway, prices at BB&T are not bad. Can you get a hot dog cheaper at Greens? Sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
You think Charlotte City Council gets 90 million from a county or city revenue source? You must be joking.. 90 million is just the cost for upgrades too, the actual construction was way over that crushes that..

This isn't class warfare, rich and upper-middle people in this country are getting a free ride off the backs of the working poor and act like it's ridiculous when anyone complains, cause they have to pay equal margin taxes on all the junk they own and don't understand basic mathematics and economics..
start a new thread about stadium taxes...

Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I have a friend and cousin that played AAA (and pros) so I kept up with rosters for a few years - occasionally a star player will pass through the AAA team but 80% of those guys are fringe pros or career minor league players.

Take the guy you mentioned for example - he's 30 years old and pitched in a total of two MLB games. I'd rather watch the Braves for free on TV than pay $100 to watch him pitch. I'm not trying to be insulting but it's hard for me to get excited about AAA baseball or look at them as "teams". It's like trying to be a NBDL fan. Hell, might as well go watch a local college or high school game.
Not that I expect you'll come back and see this, but: White Sox's Carroll wins major league debut at 29 - chicagotribune.com

And the games I saw him pitch didn't cost me $100 total. No apology necessary.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Not that I expect you'll come back and see this, but: White Sox's Carroll wins major league debut at 29 - chicagotribune.com
1 major league win by 29 years old? Nolan Ryan right there. Not trying to knock his accomplishment, but unless he actually makes a decent career in the pros, he is pretty irrelevant.

Quote:
And the games I saw him pitch didn't cost me $100 total. No apology necessary.
That was referring more to a family of 3 or 4 that buy tickets, food and maybe a crappy souvenir.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
1 major league win by 29 years old? Nolan Ryan right there. Not trying to knock his accomplishment, but unless he actually makes a decent career in the pros, he is pretty irrelevant.

That was referring more to a family of 3 or 4 that buy tickets, food and maybe a crappy souvenir.
The point wasn't that he is or isn't Nolan Ryan. The point is you minimized AAA players as mostly marginal, and reinforced your point by dogging the guy I mentioned. Remind me again, how many MLB starts you have?

$100/4= $25 pp. Cost you the same for dinner (fast food) and a movie. Except, you actually spend some time in fresh air. Game ticket: $8. Snack and drink: $8.50. Souvenir: $8.50. Seeing the next major leaguer: priceless.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The point wasn't that he is or isn't Nolan Ryan. The point is you minimized AAA players as mostly marginal, and reinforced your point by dogging the guy I mentioned. Remind me again, how many MLB starts you have?
A 29 yr old that has one win IS marginal. Let me repeat -- a 29 yr old with 1 win IS marginal. To give an NBA comparison he's the guy that rides the pine averages 0.8 ppg...awesome player relative to the general population, but do people buy Lakers or Bulls tickets to see him? Not really.

And why make things personal? There are a lot of sports that I can't play, but that doesn't mean I want to watch other scrubs that are less scrubby than me.

Quote:
$100/4= $25 pp. Cost you the same for dinner (fast food) and a movie. Except, you actually spend some time in fresh air. Game ticket: $8. Snack and drink: $8.50. Souvenir: $8.50. Seeing the next major leaguer: priceless.
Where is this $8 seat located? Worst seat in the house? How much to park? Why are you comparing a snack and drink to dinner? A beer alone for adults is nearly $10. What sort of souvenir do you get for $8...pencil eraser?

Seeing the next major leaguer: priceless -- haha. I will agree to disagree -- have fun buddy.

Bottom line -- expensive is subjective. If you like the price and think its fun, GO! If you are like me and think it's on the expensive side and you'd rather watch paint dry than watch minor leaguers, DON'T go.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 04-30-2014 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
I was going to say it's silly IMO to buy non-alcoholic drinks at sporting events because you can bring in a 20 cent bottle of water (well IMO at the prices they charge for alcoholic drinks it's silly to buy those too, but you can't legally bring in your own).

However it looks like they don't let you bring in any food or drinks to BB&T park? That's pretty annoying since even MLB lets you bring in food and non-alcoholic drinks.
Ballpark F.A.Q.s | Charlotte Knights BB&T Ballpark

But let's be honest, most people don't go to minor league baseball games to see future stars. If you're lucky enough to see one, great, but it's not terribly likely. You go because it's a fun family outing. Tickets are where you'll see the biggest advantage to MLB...even that $8 "worst seat in the house" is equivalent to about a $30 ticket at Turner Field.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But let's be honest, most people don't go to minor league baseball games to see future stars. If you're lucky enough to see one, great, but it's not terribly likely. You go because it's a fun family outing. Tickets are where you'll see the biggest advantage to MLB...even that $8 "worst seat in the house" is equivalent to about a $30 ticket at Turner Field.
I agree there. It seems the minors are more about being outside, experiencing the crowd and just getting away...not really about cheering on your favorite star players. Personally, I may go to one game a year so I'll pay extra for the Braves ticket.

And not being able to bring in drinks and food is a definite turnoff...same turnoff at Carowinds with their $5 bottled water/soda plus $50 admission.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
I think it's a lot more appealing for kids, since until they get older they don't really care about the quality of the play. But at a minor league game you are much closer to the action, and as a result have a much better chance to do things to get autographs, maybe get a foul ball, etc.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:14 PM

128 posts, read 242,446 times
It does seem lame that they won't let you bring any food or drink for "security reasons." Especially, since the food options are not very healthy for people on some diet restrictions. However, with the stadium being new as well their stadium debt, you could see this change is attendance drops in a couple of years down from 95% capacity to 75%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte