Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,554,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
NASCAR is popular in Charlotte? Who knew?
Not at Southpark mall. That's all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:11 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,554,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I am surprised at how ignorant your comments have become.
Likewise.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,615,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I have not questioned your belief that NASCAR is not part of Charlotte. You are free to believe as you wish. What I pointed out is the statistics you presented here to justify those beliefs were faulty. And therefore you were incorrect to suggest that others people's opinions were wrong because of those statistics. There is nothing more to it than that.

If you wish to know my opinion I would say it's clear that since NASCAR has it's name on one of the tallest buildings in the city, the city also constructed a NASCAR Hall of Fame, the corporation officially lists CLT as one of it's HQs there is a long history of stock car racing here, and one of the biggest events in the city each year is Speed Street, then I'd say there is a culture of NASCAR here. This is my opinion.

I will also add that Charlotte is very diverse and large enough to support more than one monolithic culture. The huge influx of transplants, people from foreign nations, and the fact that not all the indigenous culture is into car racing means there are many other cultures here too. The city is big enough to support them all. This is also my opinion.
The NASCAR building is not one of the city's tallest buildings. Since your statistic is wrong, your theory is wrong.

You are not very convincing.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
No one said it was. I said there are rough areas near it. And there are. You speak of Southpark like it is guarded by God's golden gates and floats on a cloud in the sky. Um...no. Its nice. Has a big mall and a few tall buildings. But go a few miles down the road...and it looks like Gastonia again. Like most cities BTW.
There are no rough areas immediately adjacent to the Southpark area.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Likewise.
Hung up on Southpark for some reason? Look, our Charleston friend said you see stuff in the Charlotte malls, I said you don't see it at Southpark. Nothing more than that until he said Southpark was in the ghetto.

Not sure why you are trying to make it into an issue. Until someone explains how there is such a large NASCAR culture in Charlotte in spite of poor HOF attendance, not selling out races, not selling a lot of merchandise and TV ratings that are below the NFL draft, I don't believe it is a strong culture in Charlotte. No one has provided any evidence to suggest otherwise other than list the business assets such as team shops. The HOF etc.....culture is not defined by a NASCAR building, it is defined by people's actions. And, it seems like people from Charlotte aren't going to the race even though the Panthers are selling out, the Hornets have 10k season tickets and the Knights have tickets on stubhub for $100. But, CMS still has tickets on the from stretch for the all star race eve though the Diamond Tower has tarps over the seats. For the 600, entire rows are still available. So, maybe I was wrong, we don't sell out any races.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,411,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There are no rough areas immediately adjacent to the Southpark area.
Hmmm. I must be hallucinating then. Leave Southpark and take the road to I-77. I have. And I've turned off that road to go other places. Its not the heavenly utopia GSP paints it to be.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Hung up on Southpark for some reason? Look, our Charleston friend said you see stuff in the Charlotte malls, I said you don't see it at Southpark. Nothing more than that until he said Southpark was in the ghetto.

Maybe YOU haven't seen it at South Park. I have. And it seems that your fellow Charlotte residents are confirming the big presence of NASCAR and influence it has had on Charlotte culture. Maybe you just aren't interested in it. That's fine. But sounds like your fellow neighbors up there agree that it is a race city for sure. Its listed in the top TV markets for just about ever single race...I linked that.

I am trying to figure out the fascination with South Park though. Don't get me wrong. Its a really nice area. And...the mall is pretty big. But, I don't get the extreme hype you are giving it. Unless I'm just craving a meal at Cheesecake Factory........there just isn't much there that I'd ever want that I cant find at Haywood Mall in Greenville...without the traffic hassle. (Oh, and there is a ghetto not far from Haywood Mall too)

Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe YOU haven't seen it at South Park. I have. And it seems that your fellow Charlotte residents are confirming the big presence of NASCAR and influence it has had on Charlotte culture. Maybe you just aren't interested in it. That's fine. But sounds like your fellow neighbors up there agree that it is a race city for sure. Its listed in the top TV markets for just about ever single race...I linked that.

I am trying to figure out the fascination with South Park though. Don't get me wrong. Its a really nice area. And...the mall is pretty big. But, I don't get the extreme hype you are giving it. Unless I'm just craving a meal at Cheesecake Factory........there just isn't much there that I'd ever want that I cant find at Haywood Mall in Greenville...without the traffic hassle. (Oh, and there is a ghetto not far from Haywood Mall too)
And how many times have you been to Southpark in the past year? No, there is a debate as to the culture which tells me, that it's not clear. Some from Lenoir and Atlanta say yes, others from Charlotte say no. Sounds like to me there is not enough of a NASCAR culture to be convincing. One guy even said he saw more in NJ than Charlotte. Another said he never saw racing stuff downtown until once a year. So, no, folks don't agree.

So, now you are telling me that not only is Southpark in the ghetto, it is now no different from Haywood Mall in Greenville? Why? What else do you think? Oh yea, you also said that you could get anything in Greenville or Charleston that you can in Charlotte, still believe that (and don't count the internet, that could be said of Cowpens). Since you mentioned Cheesecake Factory....I don't like..... How is it at Haywood? Are you picking up some furniture at Crate and Barrel in Haywood? Maybe a shirt at Neiman or Armani? Shoes at Nordstrom?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:

No traffic????? On Haywood? LOL. Try Woodruff road and tell me about Greenville's traffic.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
And how many times have you been to Southpark in the past year? No, there is a debate as to the culture which tells me, that it's not clear. Some from Lenoir and Atlanta say yes, others from Charlotte say no. Sounds like to me there is not enough of a NASCAR culture to be convincing. One guy even said he saw more in NJ than Charlotte. Another said he never saw racing stuff downtown until once a year. So, no, folks don't agree.

So, now you are telling me that not only is Southpark in the ghetto, it is now no different from Haywood Mall in Greenville? Why? What else do you think? Oh yea, you also said that you could get anything in Greenville or Charleston that you can in Charlotte, still believe that (and don't count the internet, that could be said of Cowpens). Since you mentioned Cheesecake Factory....I don't like..... How is it at Haywood? Are you picking up some furniture at Crate and Barrel in Haywood? Maybe a shirt at Neiman or Armani? Shoes at Nordstrom?
Past year? Once. Been maybe 3 times my whole life. Really didn't have any reason TO go. I've always gotten anything I needed in SC without having to go to Charlotte, ya know?

You need to read people's responses carefully. I never said SP was "IN" a ghetto. Or "no different" than Haywood. I said there are rough areas near South Park. There are, like any nice area of any city. And that I've always gotten anything I needed or wanted at Haywood, and there isn't anything I personally would ever need or want that I cant get in Greenville that I'd have to drive to Charlotte for.

No, I wouldn't pay the grossly overpriced sticker cost for something from a place like Neiman or Nordstrom. Those places are only for people who will pay a lot more money....just so they can say its from (insert overpriced store). To each his own. And that's not for me.

I bet Ricky Bobby lived and shopped in South Park though. He was really rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte