Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Mooresville is part of the Charlotte DMA, with the same ratings yet no one in his right mind would argue that NASCAR isn't part of it's culture as you just did. Hence the reasoning fails.

I don't think you are being very convincing.
Mooresville has 33k residents and is a base of NASCAR teams, it is an outlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 PM

71 posts, read 87,509 times
My first degree was marketing, and the place to be for NASCAR was Clt. This was 15 years ago, before it went mainstream. Although most of my work was based out of Mooresville, it's still close enough to call Charlotte. The employment opportunities and such are huge for this area. It's all within an hour drive. The technology is improving yearly. No other city offers employment and year round opportunities related to nascar as CLT does.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
For me, I don't see the racing DNA anywhere in Charlotte. Outside of race weeks, I rarely see a NASCAR tee shirt. I see Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson more than I see tee shirts.
DANG! You must not ever go to grocery stores, Wal Mart, malls, gas stations, movies or anywhere else the public in general goes. NASCAR stuff is fairly common in Charlotte...like most Southern cities, but a lot in Charlotte due to it being the mecca of NASCAR today.

The NFL draft also beat the NBA playoffs in ratings. NFL is king of the world in sports, not even close. That doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC Nurse View Post
My first degree was marketing, and the place to be for NASCAR was Clt. This was 15 years ago, before it went mainstream. Although most of my work was based out of Mooresville, it's still close enough to call Charlotte. The employment opportunities and such are huge for this area. It's all within an hour drive. The technology is improving yearly. No other city offers employment and year round opportunities related to nascar as CLT does.
It does bring a lot of opportunity. Its the sport version of a NASA type presence, with all those jobs available to push technology and science into making a machine perform better. But its just done with race cars, not space ships

Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
DANG! You must not ever go to grocery stores, Wal Mart, malls, gas stations, movies or anywhere else the public in general goes. NASCAR stuff is fairly common in Charlotte...like most Southern cities, but a lot in Charlotte due to it being the mecca of NASCAR today.

The NFL draft also beat the NBA playoffs in ratings. NFL is king of the world in sports, not even close. That doesn't surprise me at all.
Yea....you see a lot of NASCAR stuff at Southpark and Dean & DeLuca.....LOL. NFL is king but, if it is true as you say, certainly a live race would have a closer gap than getting lapped by 55%.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC Nurse View Post
No doubt jobs are here, culture is another thing.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Yea....you see a lot of NASCAR stuff at Southpark and Dean & DeLuca.....LOL. NFL is king but, if it is true as you say, certainly a live race would have a closer gap than getting lapped by 55%.
At the Southpark mall? Yeah, I've seen it. Using the NFL as a standard is always a bad idea; The NFL beats everything. Aliens could land on Moscow.........and a Cowboys vs Redskins game would get higher ratings.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
No doubt jobs are here, culture is another thing.
It goes hand in hand. Kinda like how there is a certain military culture of any town that has a large military presence. Or the fishing culture of towns with large fishing presence. Or ski towns. Its hard to have a lot of jobs and major presence of one thing, without it being part of the overall culture.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
It goes hand in hand. Kinda like how there is a certain military culture of any town that has a large military presence. Or the fishing culture of towns with large fishing presence. Or ski towns. Its hard to have a lot of jobs and major presence of one thing, without it being part of the overall culture.
Sadly, you don't understand what a lot of jobs are in Charlotte. BofA employees 15k, Wells employees 20k, Duke Energy employees 7k, CHS employees 30k, Tiaa Cref employees over 2k.....the financial sector in Charlotte has over 70k jobs, healthcare has over 50k jobs, energy has close to 20k jobs, NASCAR related jobs are in the mid teens if you go out about 40 miles from center city. In a town like Mooresville, a few team shops will affect the town, having 70k financial jobs clustered between major companies like BofA, Wells, MetLife, US Bank, TIAA Cref, Citgo Funds overshadows the NASCAR cluster which stretches for miles across thenjorthern arc of the city. No doubt the jobs are here that average $70k annually but that is different than thinking people walk around Southpark, downtown, and all areas of town with team tee shirts on a regular basis. Culturally, that does not happen.....especially at Southpark. When was the last time you were at Southpark? Do you drive up from Charleston and go to Southpark?

As for the NFL, it is simple, if NASCAR was so much a part of Charlotte and culturally part of the city's fabric, it should show better, especially against the draft. The Bobcats playoff game was closer to the NFL draft than a Saturday night race. Again, we are talking about the thesis that NASCAR is everywhere as you suggest. If that is true, a Saturday night race should better ratings than being 55% off from the NFL draft. I still think it is funny that you think people walk around Southpark with racing shirts, do you think Neiman sells them?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Sadly, you don't understand what a lot of jobs are in Charlotte. BofA employees 15k, Wells employees 20k, Duke Energy employees 7k, CHS employees 30k, Tiaa Cref employees over 2k.....the financial sector in Charlotte has over 70k jobs, healthcare has over 50k jobs, energy has close to 20k jobs, NASCAR related jobs are in the mid teens if you go out about 40 miles from center city. In a town like Mooresville, a few team shops will affect the town, having 70k financial jobs clustered between major companies like BofA, Wells, MetLife, US Bank, TIAA Cref, Citgo Funds overshadows the NASCAR cluster which stretches for miles across thenjorthern arc of the city. No doubt the jobs are here that average $70k annually but that is different than thinking people walk around Southpark, downtown, and all areas of town with team tee shirts on a regular basis. Culturally, that does not happen.....especially at Southpark. When was the last time you were at Southpark? Do you drive up from Charleston and go to Southpark?

As for the NFL, it is simple, if NASCAR was so much a part of Charlotte and culturally part of the city's fabric, it should show better, especially against the draft. The Bobcats playoff game was closer to the NFL draft than a Saturday night race. Again, we are talking about the thesis that NASCAR is everywhere as you suggest. If that is true, a Saturday night race should better ratings than being 55% off from the NFL draft. I still think it is funny that you think people walk around Southpark with racing shirts, do you think Neiman sells them?
I was there last year. Drove up when visiting family in Greenville. Even bought a new gym bag at the 2-story Dicks Sporting Goods and had a piece of overpriced cheesecake at the Factory. Nice mall, nothing special though. Just a big mall and a bunch of office buildings nearby. Kinda ghetto once you get away from the main shopping area though.

So you're saying if I drive around and shop, eat, walk in Charlotte, I wont see anyone sporting a NASCAR related t-shirt, or hat, or see little race car stickers on people's back bumpers/windows??? There is NOTHING wrong with it, don't know why you are so defensive about this, its no different than seeing a Braves or Lakers shirt, or a Gamecocks or Citadel shirt in Charleston. But its a big part of North Carolina and Charlotte region culture. Its a cool sport. I grew up loving Richard Petty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte