Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times

Advertisements

Look up the NC Tenant Security Deposit act. They can only use the deposit to pay for actual damages and certain specific things.

http://www.ncrec.gov/Brochures/TenantSecurity.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,383 times
Thanks for all the helpful responses. Unfortunately these folks are leaving the country in less than two weeks, so there is no time for a trip to small claims court.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 AM

227 posts, read 392,504 times
Does the landlord know that they're leaving the country? If so, then there's really not much to do. Unless NC has specific rules, a landlord typically has 30 days to return the deposit. In this case, the landlord can keep the entire deposit until after the tenant leaves the country, knowing that there's no way the tenant will take him to court.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 443 times
Please can some one help me. I have been renting a home in Charlotte. The home has been foreclosed on and I have been issued a notice to be out in 10 days or actions will be taken. I still have a lease and I was wondering what my options were. If there's someone that can help me I would greatly appreciate it thank you

Old 04-26-2016, 03:54 PM

129 posts, read 234,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck2121 View Post
Please can some one help me. I have been renting a home in Charlotte. The home has been foreclosed on and I have been issued a notice to be out in 10 days or actions will be taken. I still have a lease and I was wondering what my options were. If there's someone that can help me I would greatly appreciate it thank you
Renters and Foreclosure

There is also a toll free number to call.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
We had a first time landlord who tried to charge us for imprints left by the sofa on the carpet. They also tried to charge us for carpet cleaning because the landlord got a cheaper rate if he agreed to let the cleaners do all 4 of his townhouses.

We rented a carpet cleaner from Walmart and fought him tooth and nail for the full refund.

This was in a rural area so as soon as my wife said we are being "swindled" the landlord lost his composure and agreed to give us the full deposit. When we asked for the check to be sent using a certified letter he flipped out and said he would write us a check on the spot.

We acted like it was an inconvenience then laughed about it in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte