Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 AM

21 posts, read 32,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
If you are trying to keep it to one car, why not look at the buslines that serve UNCC and follow them out to a reasonable distance?

I would look more carefully at those sucky schools. Find out why people think they're bad. You might discover that it is all relative and you could stand to put your kids in one for a year until you save the money for the house.

I'll look into the busline. Thanks! My husband and I don't want to live too close to the college kids. 20 mins shouldn't be too bad of a commute (Huntersville or Concord).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I don't think Mallard Creek schools are that bad - I've known a few families who are happy with them. Also the Mallard Creek neighborhood has a wonderful greenway running through it - which leads all the way to UNCC! Biking to work at UNCC would be a dream IMO!!
Mallard Creek and Clark's Creek

It connects to Toby Creek Greenway which runs through campus:
Toby Creek Greenway

What does "that bad" mean? I realize NY schools are ahead in academics, so I don't want to move down and have my son really set back by being in a not so good school. I'll look more into the schools. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
It's going to be hard to compare schools with other areas - for me the only way to tell is how hard your kid is working. I went to school in the Pittsburgh suburbs while my kids went to school here. I don't believe there is a very big difference in the elementary school years. I found expectations to be lower overall in middle school. In high school, all students are tracked here - top students go to honors and AP classes. Test scores tell you very little - many schools are here have a lot of African American students - more than up north. Since they statistically do worse on standardized tests, scores will be lower at some schools, even though one can get a very good education there - especially with tracking. The best thing would be to make an appointment to visit the school and talk with the principal - maybe look in on some classes.
My biggest complaint about the high school system here is the 4X4 schedule - only 4 very long periods per day, each class every other day. It's too long for many teachers to lecture so they often end up being allowed to do their homework during class. So this means LESS instruction time compared to the traditional schedule. My daughter rarely has homework because she did it in class. (However my son was in the highly regarded IB program and did not have this issue)
There are also magnet schools if you don't like your neighborhood school.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
It's going to be hard to compare schools with other areas - for me the only way to tell is how hard your kid is working. I went to school in the Pittsburgh suburbs while my kids went to school here. I don't believe there is a very big difference in the elementary school years. I found expectations to be lower overall in middle school. In high school, all students are tracked here - top students go to honors and AP classes. Test scores tell you very little - many schools are here have a lot of African American students - more than up north. Since they statistically do worse on standardized tests, scores will be lower at some schools, even though one can get a very good education there - especially with tracking. The best thing would be to make an appointment to visit the school and talk with the principal - maybe look in on some classes.
My biggest complaint about the high school system here is the 4X4 schedule - only 4 very long periods per day, each class every other day. It's too long for many teachers to lecture so they often end up being allowed to do their homework during class. So this means LESS instruction time compared to the traditional schedule. My daughter rarely has homework because she did it in class. (However my son was in the highly regarded IB program and did not have this issue)
There are also magnet schools if you don't like your neighborhood school.

The magnet schools are by lottery, right?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
Try Niner North Apartments. There's a shooting range there.

Folks on this forum will convince you that University City is extra safe. Unfortunately, nobody is saying it now.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 AM

136 posts, read 390,127 times
We've lived in the Mallard Creek Area (behind Trader Joe's) for a while now and have had absolutely zero issues nor have we ever felt unsafe. If I wasn't working in Ballantyne now, we would consider purchasing a house in this area or Highland Creek. The advice here is usually pretty good, but remember YMMV ..

Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone! We moved to Huntersville and absolutely love it! Not a bad commute at all and there's so many amenities. We're zoned to Grand Oak Elementary so another plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte