Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
If $16 for two tickets to a AAA baseball game 0-2x a year is going to break you, you aren't "working class." Sorry, but eat before hand.
Who said two tickets? We were discussing the cost of bringing a FAMILY to the game. We all know the tickets in left field are pretty cheap. However, if a family thinks they are going to a game and sitting anywhere aside from left field, getting a decent bite to eat and maybe a beer or two for the parents - they will need to rethink things or do like you said and plan ahead to avoid what could potentially be a $150 outing. For a family that really likes to watch baseball - $50-60 is definitely possible. No argument there.

Call me a party pooper, but I will watch a pro game in my recliner while eating half a large pizza, drinking all the beer/soda/tea I want, not using nasty public restrooms, not battling traffic and not paying to park. To each their own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Who said two tickets? We were discussing the cost of bringing a FAMILY to the game. We all know the tickets in left field are pretty cheap. However, if a family thinks they are going to a game and sitting anywhere aside from left field, getting a decent bite to eat and maybe a beer or two for the parents - they will need to rethink things or do like you said and plan ahead to avoid what could potentially be a $150 outing. For a family that really likes to watch baseball - $50-60 is definitely possible. No argument there.

Call me a party pooper, but I will watch a pro game in my recliner while eating half a large pizza, drinking all the beer/soda/tea I want, not using nasty public restrooms, not battling traffic and not paying to park. To each their own!
Parents with 2 kids are used to rethinking things when it comes to family outings

Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Parents with 2 kids are used to rethinking things when it comes to family outings
I'm sure a lot of newish parents have thought "we'll eat at Wendy's when we leave" after seeing the concession prices.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:36 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
I thought this was worth sharing.

Charlotte Knights enjoy big-league concession sales

Take bigger crowds, add higher average spending per person and the result is enough hot dogs, beer and sodas sold to triple what the Charlotte Knights did last season. Just over halfway through the 2014 season, and the team’s first at BB&T BallPark uptown, the minor-league baseball franchise has increased per-person sales to $13.50, up from $11.50 in 2013.

The surge comes at the same time the Knights vaulted to first in attendance in the 14-team International League from last a year ago. Charlotte, through 40 of 72 home games, averages 9,644 fans, or a total of 385,759 for the season. In 2013, the team’s last year across the state line in York County, an average of 3,803 people — 254,834 for the season — went to the games.

Based on those figures, the Knights previously sold $44,000 worth of concessions, on average, for home games. So far this season, the haul for each game hovers near $130,000.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Just over halfway through the 2014 season, and the team’s first at BB&T BallPark uptown, the minor-league baseball franchise has increased per-person sales to $13.50, up from $11.50 in 2013.
Average ticket price is probably around $14 plus $5 parking. So at $13.50 for concessions, the average family of four would spend around $115 (probably closer to $120-125 if memorabilia/souvenirs are factored in) for the average Knights game. That's about what I expected. Not really going to break the bank, but certainly not cheap entertainment (nor should it be if enough people are willing to pay).

Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Or just eat before you go, it's not that difficult.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Or just eat before you go, it's not that difficult.
It's an option, but apparently eating while watching the game is a pretty common part of most people's "ballgame experience" (hence the $13.50 per person average which is up nearly $2 from last year).

Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
It's an option, but apparently eating while watching the game is a pretty common part of most people's "ballgame experience" (hence the $13.50 per person average which is up nearly $2 from last year).
Eating popcorn + drink at the theatre is expensive. If you only go to the movies once or so a year, no big deal with sodas/popcorns, etc. However, we frequent a particular theatre where it only cost $3.00 to refill the bucket, in addition to getting 1 large soda and extra cups.

I highly doubt the avid baseball fan or regular attendee at the Knights stadium is spending an average of $13.00 bucks for concession goodies....some might be that's what they enjoy doing...and probably spend more to balance out (average) the per-sales for bottom feeders.

Again, the point is that the 1x or 2x per year fan probably isn't going to "balk" pun intended at those prices....they don't plan on coming back that often so "splurging" for the hot dog and drink isn't going to set the budget back 10 years...if so, stick with frisbee in the park.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Average ticket price is probably around $14 plus $5 parking. So at $13.50 for concessions, the average family of four would spend around $115 (probably closer to $120-125 if memorabilia/souvenirs are factored in) for the average Knights game. That's about what I expected. Not really going to break the bank, but certainly not cheap entertainment (nor should it be if enough people are willing to pay).
Also, I see you've changed your tune from saying it was "expensive" to "not cheap." I guess I can agree with that.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:27 AM

247 posts, read 378,304 times
Caveat - I love the stadium, and the experience. We eat ahead of time and sometimes splurge on snacks or a new hat, etc. I work uptown, so if I know we want to go to a game, I walk to the box office and buy tickets so there is no service charge and a $2 per ticket discount for buying prior to game day.

I have had tickets all over the stadium, we've done general admission right up to the 1st row of the field box, and I am yet to find a place (other than the event area by the home run porch for a "work" event) that wasn't a great view. Bringing kids makes it trickier, but far from impossible, and the $8 GA tickets work well for them because the younger 2 are interested in the grassy hill and trying to track down Homer.

We had a great vantage point to watch the construction of the stadium, and we were so excited to know that baseball would be Uptown. The results (ticket sales and revenue) speak for themselves, and everyone I have spoken to, including players/managers from visiting teams have commented on how great the stadium experience has been.

I don't have enough disposable income that I can go as often as I'd like, but with 74 games - we identified some games we wanted to make a priority (Opening Day, 4th of July, my older sons birthday) and bought tickets. If people from work decide that a weeknight game is a good idea, we can get tickets, pay the extra $2 penalty and meet at Mellow Mushroom (or any of the other eateries/bars within walking distance) and we can do that to0.

I can splurge for a $12 beer, or I may not, but that is my decision, and has a minimal impact on the ability to spend a nice night out at the ball park for less than I would likely pay for just a ticket to MLB.

It's all in what you make of it, I guess. I would never dismiss someone elses crtitiques of the stadium (namely prices - especially with kids) but from the organizations persepecive, if people are coming and spending money without much of a complaint, then everyone is (relatively) happy, right?

Really looking forward to the 4th this year - can't wait to see the atmosphere around the stadium and Bearden Park - should be something special!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte