Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 08:44 PM

549 posts, read 679,755 times

Advertisements

I agree totally with you Jimmy. Does anyone have any information on Carver and Frank?

Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 AM

124 posts, read 162,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I agree totally with you Jimmy. Does anyone have any information on Carver and Frank?
Tracy K has already advised on the United page I think that Friank was on the BOE at one point and redistricting was being discussed then and she appeared to be disinterested and said something to the effect of just to take the vote already that she had family waiting on her at home, so the comments started flowing that she would not get their vote.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:25 AM

124 posts, read 162,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post

My assumption is this will lead them to the same fate as those candidates previously supported by CAPS (with the exception of district 6 - although I getting a sense CAPS is starting to drive more and more supporters away).
I think you may be correct here especially when you have the VP of CAPS making ridiculous comments on the United/Ask the Candidate pages such as this:

"I'm to the point that I would support people who would start fresh with a whole new school district. Start with Cutty, Wedd, MR & P Ridge clusters as in the 2013-14 school year. Have a charter school or two -- invite folks outside those 4 cluster areas to come in, provided they help fiscally. Have a BOE who is transparent, fiscally responsible and intelligent -- in other words, exactly the opposite of UC BOE."

First off, referring to anyone not from those 4 clusters as "outsiders" isn't exactly portraying that all inclusive this is for ALL children of UC sorta warm and fuzzy feeling. That's kind of like the "us vs them", "East vs West" that they say NONE of them feel or believe in.

Secondly, "provided they help fiscally" - correct me if I'm wrong but ALL taxpayers have already been helping fiscally via the property tax they pay and a whole heck of a lot of people have contributed more fiscally than a quite a few of those who are living in those clusters.

Third, the disparaging dig and commentary about the people on the BOE doesn't exactly bode well for their cause either. They do have sitting members of the BOE on those pages, it doesn't exactly foster an atmosphere of cooperation. As someone said in an earlier post the need to attack someone who doesn't agree with your view, the name calling, the rudeness is beginning to take it's toll. People are starting to push back a little bit on those pages.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:58 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
"I'm to the point that I would support people who would start fresh with a whole new school district. ....
Is he talking about carving up UC into two school districts? If so I am pretty sure that in order for a new school district to constituted, the NC General Assembly will need to approve. The current state law allows school systems to merge but not to be broken up. This has been proposed several times in Mecklenburg, but it never went anywhere.

The best bet for them, if they insist on staying separate and unequal, is to organize a private school.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:40 AM

113 posts, read 150,058 times
The one item, which I think people keep forgetting, is that all children have and will continue to have the opportunity to receive a great education in any of the UC schools. Remember we were all praising them and supporting their every move prior to redistricting. While this has been a very disruptive 7 months – our children still have a great opportunity ahead of them. If you were to poll the children and parents across UC (and the tax payers) - I think you would find a high degree of satisfaction with the overall package (just do not do in on (united) ).

Do our children go to school in a 5 star resort – no they do not and quite honestly most of them do not care. Do they have opportunities to receive a great education surrounded by an outstanding faculty – yes they do. Are they surrounded by a faculty that is highly qualified and that demonstrates a sincere interest in providing them with a high quality education – yes they do. The only boundaries these children have are self-imposed.

While opportunities do exist – and mistakes have been made – especially in some of the older schools, we cannot afford to disrupt a school system that is operating at the level of UC. We need candidates that will focus on the opportunities while continuing to strengthen what has worked so well in the past. My fear is that the abrupt change that is being suggested by CAPS members will result in a high degree of disruption rather than a continued refinement of a strong program – it will turn our system into complete chaos.

I am not suggesting that we do not bring some new views into the BOE – we just need to ensure we do not bring in a team that is disruptive and more concerned about pleasing CAPS or removing a dumpster from the SV rather than building on what we have today.

Last edited by jimmyd1; 07-27-2014 at 05:48 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 AM

527 posts, read 744,364 times
Quote:
Gary Sides ⇐ think the BOCC would like this as well - not sure if he is really a CAPS supporter - or just telling them what they want to hear - but given the multiple posts on (united) and Ask the Candidate - he seems to be easily influenced
Easily influenced? Specific example please. If by easily influenced you mean doesn't act like a jerk (i.e., Yercheck) then I guess I agree.

I have found him to be open minded and fair but also firm in his positions.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 AM

93 posts, read 127,675 times
Quote:
The one item, which I think people keep forgetting, is that all children have and will continue to have the opportunity to receive a great education in any of the UC schools. Remember we were all praising them and supporting their every move prior to redistricting. While this has been a very disruptive 7 months – our children still have a great opportunity ahead of them. If you were to poll the children and parents across UC (and the tax payers) - I think you would find a high degree of satisfaction with the overall package (just do not do in on (united) ).

Do our children go to school in a 5 star resort – no they do not and quite honestly most of them do not care. Do they have opportunities to receive a great education surrounded by an outstanding faculty – yes they do. Are they surrounded by a faculty that is highly qualified and that demonstrates a sincere interest in providing them with a high quality education – yes they do. The only boundaries these children have are self-imposed.

While opportunities do exist – and mistakes have been made – especially in some of the older schools, we cannot afford to disrupt a school system that is operating at the level of UC. We need candidates that will focus on the opportunities while continuing to strengthen what has worked so well in the past. My fear is that the abrupt change that is being suggested by CAPS members will result in a high degree of disruption rather than a continued refinement of a strong program – it will turn our system into complete chaos.

I am not suggesting that we do not bring some new views into the BOE – we just need to ensure we do not bring in a team that is disruptive and more concerned about pleasing CAPS or removing a dumpster from the SV rather than building on what we have today.
So you want to follow the mantra of "its how we always done it down here, y'all"….i think its time to move past that

Old 07-27-2014, 07:39 AM

113 posts, read 150,058 times
I am not 100% sure how you derived that – I am saying our children have all benefited from a remarkable school system – DO NOT BREAK IT. We have success story after success story across the county – children going to the top schools in the country – children receiving academic scholarships - children receiving sport related scholarships - top ratings within the state. I still without any hesitation would and do recommend UC schools over any other in the Charlotte area.

We have opportunities and should most certainly pursue them (as do all school systems) – but the primary reason I send my children to school each day is to receive a quality education in an environment that builds strong character. They and all children in UC have that opportunity - just not in 5 star accommodations.

Can we change the course to build on what we have today – yes – but do not turn the ship to abruptly. A few new faces are certainly welcome (I have every intention in sending donations to support a few of their campaigns and applaud them and all other candidates for running)– they just need to have priorities that align with the needs of the whole county and be able to work well with the existing board members. This does not mean they need to agree with them – it means they need to be able to influence them – not divide the board.

Last edited by jimmyd1; 07-27-2014 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 AM

149 posts, read 535,991 times
First, how do you interpret:

Jimmy D: "I am not suggesting that we do not bring some new views into the BOE – we just need to ensure we do not bring in a team that is disruptive and more concerned about pleasing CAPS or removing a dumpster from the SV rather than building on what we have today."

To mean:

First: "So you want to follow the mantra of "its how we always done it down here, y'all"….i think its time to move past that"

Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 AM

398 posts, read 618,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Will Savage stay in the race the whole time or will she walk out right before the vote?
Rimshot! Be here all week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte