Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 PM

93 posts, read 127,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
I guess i should ask you - lets say we did replace all the open seats with BOE members that want to "rock the boat". How do you see that playing out ?

We move everyone back to their original school assignment (but only if they want to) - we send all new students to the schools with capacity - we spend $3Million on trailers - we find a pile of money and build new schools - we remove the dumpster from SV (although i guess if we moved everyone back - this would no longer be an issue) - what else is on the agenda ? How will this new BOE work with the existing school administration? Is the plan to chase them out ?
Jimmy, I think this is an overreaction….has anybody currently running for a BOE spot said they want to get on the BOE to call for a new vote to essentially reverse the current redistricting plan? I don't think any candidate is taking that stance, but if you have knowledge disproving that, i will stand corrected….I will say that i don't agree with one BOE member claims, that we better get used to redistricting every 2-3 years. If that is the only plan you have, maybe you don't belong on the BOE….you lost me on the "dumpster" point, what dumpster are you referring too?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:58 PM

549 posts, read 680,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
Jimmy, I think this is an overreaction….has anybody currently running for a BOE spot said they want to get on the BOE to call for a new vote to essentially reverse the current redistricting plan? I don't think any candidate is taking that stance, but if you have knowledge disproving that, i will stand corrected….I will say that i don't agree with one BOE member claims, that we better get used to redistricting every 2-3 years. If that is the only plan you have, maybe you don't belong on the BOE….you lost me on the "dumpster" point, what dumpster are you referring too?
I saw Sides say something along the lines of he would be in favor of it if it came to a vote. There has since been back pedaling.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 PM

113 posts, read 150,103 times
Quote:
Honest question, would you feel the same way if they were and it put more of a hardship on you and your kids for various reasons?

That is a fair question – and one I have thought about. (Sorry for another long response)

Would I have felt different if my children were moved – yes – I would have most likely complained to my wife for several days until she knocked some sense in to me (the way things typically roll in my household). Would I have blamed the BOE – no - I went through this once before prior to moving to NC. My children were bussed into the city along with the majority of their friends. While frustrated – I never felt like the BOE was trying to pull one over on me. We adapted – the kids adapted – and all was well.

I work in an environment that undergoes change frequently. I have been through more reorganization, redeployments, and severances than I wish to recall. I have learned through these experiences you can fight and move forward – or you can let it get the best of you and spiral out of control. Those that move forward come back stronger than ever – those that do not end up choosing a new career path. Knowing this – I challenge my kids on a regular basis – throwing them into situations in which they are not completely comfortable. The amazing thing is – once they get done giving me grief – they survive and generally have a very positive experience / outcome. I am optimistic that your children will look back in a positive manner at this as something that helped make them the person they become.

Would I be concerned about the impact on their performance at their new school – yes – I always worry about my children’s performance level. This concern would not be as a result of the teachers or the school – I truly think the opportunities are the same at all the schools. Honestly I do not think Honors English at one school versus the other is any different – especially when several of the students you have gone to school with for years move with you. My fear is my children would be too focused on integrating into the new school that they take their eye of their studies. I am a big fan of the parent portal – given this concern I would be all over them the 1st marking period – ensuring they remain focused.

So why would I have been initially upset –
1) I would have had to rethink transportation to and from after school activities. But honestly - we would have worked it out – maybe started carpooling – maybe having them study in the cafeteria until we could pick them up. As far transportation to and from school when they are not in afterschool activities – I am a fan of the bus.
2) Very candidly – when it comes to my children – I do not like when I can not control the outcome of certain events (that’s where my wife steps in and tells me to get over it – I am driving the family crazy)

So if I get redistricted at some point – I will vent to my wife and move on. Honestly – I may be making room for your children – or someone that is new to UC. I am thankful everyday that I live in U.C. Someone most likely was redistricted prior to my arrival to make room for me – and its only right I am prepared to do it for the next person.

Another question I have asked myself is what would be like if I were in the seat of the BOE. This is actually the more difficult of the 2 scenarios – the BOE for all practical purposes are volunteers serving our county. They do not receive large paychecks and despite the theories of secret meetings and bribes have little to gain based on their decisions other than knowing they upheld their obligation to serve our county. There was no situation in which the BOE could have avoided upsetting a portion of the county. The only way out would be to walk off the stage – hmm – that rings a bell. While I am sure some people will strongly disagree – I only hope the that if I were on the BOE - I would have had enough character to do what was best for the county even if it may have not been the best thing for me and my family.

You could argue they could have waited – but they did not feel that was the right answer (otherwise Yercheck would have certainly waited until the upcoming election was over – that was the easy path – but he and the majority of th BOE elected to do what they felt needed to be done).

Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM

Jimmy, i actually appreciate the long response. I couldn't give you another "positive" rating, CD told me i had to spread it around a bit. At the core, we disagree, but we can agree to disagree, that is fine….We can beat to death the different points that have been bantered around for the past 8 months, so i won't go there….2 things in your post that i basically don't agree with. 1) When you say that you will be redistricted for someone new to UC: existing people, i understand that, for people not even here, sorry, i don't agree with that rationale
2) The BOE had their own little "cliques" for proposals to be typed up and members basically saying they thought a vote was coming that night, yet 2 members had absolutely no clue, sorry, that isn't on the up and up. I get not everyone gets along, but there should be a working respect. To have 7 of the 9 ready for the vote and 2 having no clue, again, that isn't right. Again, thank you for the in depth thoughts and explanation. If i could pose a question, and if my impression is wrong, please correct me. Why do you have such venom for CAPS?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
...The BOE had their own little "cliques" for proposals to be typed up and members basically saying they thought a vote was coming that night, yet 2 members had absolutely no clue, ...
This is one of my biggest pet peeves about how this all went down... clueless is right, but not for the reason you're thinking. I'm on the outside looking in... and knew it was coming. Many of the regulars posting here were calling it weeks before right here - especially when it was obvious they were cramming in the public hearings. It was like a car wreck in slow motion. You had to be blind to not see the vote coming... Savage and Hodges not being prepared was the only thing not "on the up and up". Don't push their ineptitude at fulfilling their obligations on the others.

A close second peeve is the argument against the "free redistricting" because of the budget and tax increase... same thing applies. We all knew tax hikes and spending were coming before they even capped the schools.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is one of my biggest pet peeves about how this all went down... clueless is right, but not for the reason you're thinking. I'm on the outside looking in... and knew it was coming. Many of the regulars posting here were calling it weeks before right here - especially when it was obvious they were cramming in the public hearings. It was like a car wreck in slow motion. You had to be blind to not see the vote coming... Savage and Hodges not being prepared was the only thing not "on the up and up". Don't push their ineptitude at fulfilling their obligations on the others.

A close second peeve is the argument against the "free redistricting" because of the budget and tax increase... same thing applies. We all knew tax hikes and spending were coming before they even capped the schools.

Ignorance is not an excuse.
So i have this correct….7 of the members know full well the vote is coming to the point that some members had everything typed up. One member went on camera admitting he knew the vote was coming because he spoke with the members before the meeting, but he couldn't remember who those members were ….2 members had absolutely no idea the vote was coming, yet you blame those 2 because essentially the other 7 chose not to discuss this them and kept them in the dark. So you blame Hodges and Savage for the other 7 excluding them….i guess you are the type to blame the guy getting beat up for falling into the aggressors fist

Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
So i have this correct….7 of the members know full well the vote is coming to the point that some members had everything typed up. One member went on camera admitting he knew the vote was coming because he spoke with the members before the meeting, but he couldn't remember who those members were ….2 members had absolutely no idea the vote was coming, yet you blame those 2 because essentially the other 7 chose not to discuss this them and kept them in the dark. So you blame Hodges and Savage for the other 7 excluding them….i guess you are the type to blame the guy getting beat up for falling into the aggressors fist
Completely unfair analogy... I get Hodges and Savage felt "shut out" - but, comparing this to physical violence isn't even on the same planet. They couldn't get into the cool high school clique - much better analogy.

Nobody said being a politician was easy. Wah wah - really.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Completely unfair analogy... I get Hodges and Savage felt "shut out" - but, comparing this to physical violence isn't even on the same planet. They couldn't get into the cool high school clique - much better analogy.

Nobody said being a politician was easy. Wah wah - really.
again, this isn't about cool kids….9 people are there to serve the children of UC, which was the original response to Jimmy. So a simple question for you, what purpose does it serve to essentially discuss a highly controversial vote with 7 members, to the point of people having things already scripted and shut out 2 members of the board? They are all sitting up there before the meeting starts, not one of them could lean over and say "hey, its coming down tonight"….you would have to agree it was a concerted effort to keep it secret….so i will ask you, why?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM

549 posts, read 680,104 times
Quote:
I think we already covered this but you do realize that any board member can make a motion to vote at any time whether or not the vote was indicated on the agenda? All board members should have been prepared for that possibility. In fact, Mr. Crowder had stated his desire to vote soon in a previous meeting. Members of the public had picked up on the fact that a vote was imminent. Savage and Hodges should have realized that too without having to be told. The vote only came as a surprise to those who were in denial and thought stalling and running out the clock on that arbitrary April 1st deadline was going to be an effective strategy.

Stalling, launching diatribes against fellow board members during meetings, walking off the stage before a vote, chastising other board members in the media, and calling upon cronies at the State level to step in really weren't very effective strategies. You can't blame the other seven board members for the unreasonableness of two. Perhaps there could have been more compromise if those two members hadn't been stubbornly trying to run out the clock to stop redistricting all together.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I think we already covered this but you do realize that any board member can make a motion to vote at any time whether or not the vote was indicated on the agenda? All board members should have been prepared for that possibility. In fact, Mr. Crowder had stated his desire to vote soon in a previous meeting. Members of the public had picked up on the fact that a vote was imminent. Savage and Hodges should have realized that too without having to be told. The vote only came as a surprise to those who were in denial and thought stalling and running out the clock on that arbitrary April 1st deadline was going to be an effective strategy.

Stalling, launching diatribes against fellow board members during meetings, walking off the stage before a vote, chastising other board members in the media, and calling upon cronies at the State level to step in really weren't very effective strategies. You can't blame the other seven board members for the unreasonableness of two. Perhaps there could have been more compromise if those two members hadn't been stubbornly trying to run out the clock to stop redistricting all together.
Bubba, i didn't question the "legality" of the vote. I never said it was out of order, i asked a question of why would you essentially exclude 2 members. Pigg, Crowder, Guzman had it all typed up. Stewart said on camera that he heard other members talk about having a vote that night (funny how he couldn't remember who it was, i guess short term memory loss). I guess the diatribes against other board members you are referring to is Dick lashing out and chastising Hodges and Savage, so i will agree with you on that point. People have all their paperwork typed up and ready to go. Stewart admits that it was discussed with other board members. So again, if the point is to get it right and be transparent, what is the reason to exclude 2 members?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte