Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:13 PM

16 posts, read 18,957 times

Advertisements

Where's everyone from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 05:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Lexington, North Carolina and pookie is from Vale, North Carolina

Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clever View Post
Where's everyone from?
Here's a great thread -

Where are you orginally from?

Quote:
As long as there are Southerners in this city . . . there will be moments like that in parking lots and grocery store lines. My hope is, everyone else who moves here, will learn our "Southern ways" and want to be part of that culture and help perpetuate it. I hope that never changes. I worry, b/c recently I got the comment that "it is not very sophisticated to start conversations w/ strangers in parking lots." No, it probably isn't.

But it is Southern.
Great story! It's kind of funny to hear or see people surprised by how modern/progressive NC is. I think some people (not people here) think Southern = rural. Therefore they may consider an urban city to be less Southern. I've lived in NC my entire life, so of course I know many "natives". I've been told that I have a very strong southern accent. I also hope that we don't lose our "Southern ways.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clever View Post
Where's everyone from?
Born on NC coast. Grew up in the foothills of our beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Both sides of family migrated here in 1730's and 1740s.

"I love calling North Carolina Home!"

Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Here's a great thread -

Where are you orginally from?

Great story! It's kind of funny to hear or see people surprised by how modern/progressive NC is. I think some people (not people here) think Southern = rural. Therefore they may consider an urban city to be less Southern. I've lived in NC my entire life, so of course I know many "natives". I've been told that I have a very strong southern accent. I also hope that we don't lose our "Southern ways.
Just checked out that thread! I really enjoyed it! Thanks for posting the link . . .

Old 12-28-2007, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,235 times
Default Charlotte Southern?

It's nice to read mostly positive comments on this subject. There have been many numerous comments in The Charlotte Observer lately lambasting anyone who moved here from somewhere else and inviting them to move on if they can't be like the natives. I moved here from Atlanta in 1975 and it;s been interesting following the changes and watching the locals try to adapt, some are better at it than others.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 PM

16 posts, read 18,957 times
I meant, "where is everyone from?" as in the subdivision you were speaking of...

Old 12-28-2007, 09:30 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Vin, I really like that perspective - about London . . .

As long as there are Southerners in this city . . . there will be moments like that in parking lots and grocery store lines. My hope is, everyone else who moves here, will learn our "Southern ways" and want to be part of that culture and help perpetuate it. I hope that never changes. I worry, b/c recently I got the comment that "it is not very sophisticated to start conversations w/ strangers in parking lots." No, it probably isn't.

But it is Southern.
I'm sorry, but that isn't true. You can go anywhere and have those "parking lot moments". Some people will respond, and some won't, and yes that includes southerners.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 AM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
whoever said it isnt "sophisticated" to start a conversation in a parking lot needs to get a life!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:37 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
To me "Southern" means polite, genteel, civil and hospitable.

To assimilate better, transplants need to imbibe "Southern". It's not that hard....really!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte