Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Interesting observation. DH and I also noticed that the grocery stores (went to H-T and Food Lion) were not crowded and we wondered - did we just hit it when the crowds were down? We had to make 3 trips b/n 21 and morning of 24th. We also got a lot of markdowns, wh/ also surprised us.

We wondered if there were a correlation b/n people leaving town . . . or if we just got extremely lucky on all our trips and no one much was around.
No, it's like that every Thanksgiving no matter when you go. In New Jersey if you went into a Shop Rite the day before you would see 20 registers open, lines snaking down the aisles, not a cart outside to be found and cars looking for parking spaces. Here it's the exact opposite. It's not that you got lucky in catching it at an off time, that's just the way it is. It's one of the more subtle ways of telling how many people are native southerners and how many aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
No, it's like that every Thanksgiving no matter when you go. In New Jersey if you went into a Shop Rite the day before you would see 20 registers open, lines snaking down the aisles, not a cart outside to be found and cars looking for parking spaces. Here it's the exact opposite. It's not that you got lucky in catching it at an off time, that's just the way it is. It's one of the more subtle ways of telling how many people are native southerners and how many aren't.
This had never even dawned on me before - that so many people had left town for Thanksgiving. I am so in my bubble w/ having family and friends in during the holidays . . . Thanks for sharing that!

I suspect, armed w/ this info, I am going to be more apt to get out and about next year during the holidays. We just plan things around the house (put up decorations, cook, ballgames, DVDs) cause we thought everything would be mobbed, LOL.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
The only time you really hear a lot of southern accents (or should I say, the least amount of northern accents) is around Thanksgiving. It seems that just before Thanksgiving there's a mass exodus out of Charlotte to wherever people came from. The Charlotte Observer did a story about that confirming my suspicions because there's no possible, on the day before Thanksgiving, that you should walk into a mostly empty grocery store. Food Lion and (I believe) Harris Teeter were reporting very flat sales because people just aren't around that time of the year. Thanksgivings are when I notice the most amount of real southerners because so many of the northern influx split for the long weekend.
Go on tv and forecast a snowflake...the grocery stores will get real crowded

Old 12-31-2007, 08:57 AM

Default So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Go on tv and forecast a snowflake...the grocery stores will get real crowded

Yes, the last loaf of bread and toilet paper syndrome.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:09 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, the last loaf of bread and toilet paper syndrome.
Don't forget the Miller Lite...not like I would drink that water in a can anyway

Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 AM

Default It's New Year's Eve

Gotta run out and get groceries. Is everyone back in town now?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,920 times
Just moved here from Jersey. Charlotte is a great city for families and the traffic is wonderful compared to Jersey. The concern that I do have is with regard to the city's identity. Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, LA all have their "identities" for good or for ill. What is Charlotte's identity? What distinguishes it from the others? 2nd largest financial center does not distinguish it from others...

Old 12-31-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragicallyhip1973 View Post
Just moved here from Jersey. Charlotte is a great city for families and the traffic is wonderful compared to Jersey. The concern that I do have is with regard to the city's identity. Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, LA all have their "identities" for good or for ill. What is Charlotte's identity? What distinguishes it from the others? 2nd largest financial center does not distinguish it from others...
I agree - that is kind of a lackluster tag, even tho it is remarkable, to me, that CLT has become the second largest banking center. Actually, I have thought about this a lot . . . and others have posted threads in the past about CLT's identity.

I think CLT is still evolving. This is a pre-Revolutionary War city . . . the growth has been so amazing and quick . . .

You may enjoy reading what other posters have said about how to describe CLT . . . If I can find that thread, I will post it for you.

The other nite, I was flipping channels, and caught some local broadcast . . . don't know exactly what "show" - but a representative from the Tourism Authority (I think) was giving a preview of a PR/marketing campaign for CLT . . . and they were using the NASCAR tag. I was not so sure about that, either. But it appears that is where we are heading.

Happy New Year and welcome to Charlotte!!!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
tragicallyhip1973 - I would not be so quick to say that the traffic is wonderful compared to NJ. It depends on what time of day and where you're travelling to. Charlotte is still consolidating its image as a large American city. I just hope that 30 years from now, the area residents aren't referring to it with the same contempt that most suburbanites have of cities - in that it isn't thought of as a newer version of Cleveland or Newark where the newest hot place to live, is in eastern Anson county, and Meyers Park is a place where the little old ladies are holding on to their big houses in a developing slum area.

Last edited by TheEmissary; 12-31-2007 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-31-2007, 06:47 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Just moved here from Jersey. Charlotte is a great city for families and the traffic is wonderful compared to Jersey.
Traffic is wonderful compared to New Jersey? Are you serious???? Ever tried traveling I 85 north during the afternoon rush? Highway 49? I 77 south in the morning? It's pretty obvious you just moved here from New Jersey because to me the traffic is pretty much the same from the routes I used to take in Jersey (which did include both the Turnpike and the GSP).

Oh, give it time. You won't be singing those praises for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte