Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,359,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
The contractor is not putting down asphalt. The contractor is putting down concrete, despite what Channel 36, NBC in Charlotte is reporting. If they looked at their video, they would see concrete.

From my travels *north* of the Mason-Dixon line bi-weekly for 7 years, construction on major projects wind down pretty quickly around the 1st of October. I cite the D.C., VA, MD beltway as a prime example. The contractors do not put down concrete once the temperature reaches a certain point.

Unless we are ready to see a major overhaul of the new road once it is down, we need to stand down on decisions made in our (taxpayer's) best interest.
But that still doesn't explain why they set a December date for completion then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 12:15 PM

396 posts, read 973,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But that still doesn't explain why they set a December date for completion then...
Exactly.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:32 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,825,996 times
Quote:
Perhaps they expected all paving to be done by now and just needed to complete lane markings, signage guardrails, median work, etc... I'm just saying that the work isn't done when the asphalt or concrete is down.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,359,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Perhaps they expected all paving to be done by now and just needed to complete lane markings, signage guardrails, median work, etc... I'm just saying that the work isn't done when the asphalt or concrete is down.
Maybe, but as far as I saw they didn't say that anything was behind schedule. Just that it gets cold in the winter.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:20 PM

85 posts, read 139,203 times
You can lay concrete in the winter, it's not as quick, and takes longer to cure but it's possible.

I'm from the Midwest and trust me, they do road construction 10 months out of the year. NCDoT is run by idiots down here. Poor planning and zero idea of how to manage their vendors.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 PM

444 posts, read 582,980 times
Default Good To Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurbsMan View Post
You can lay concrete in the winter, it's not as quick, and takes longer to cure but it's possible.

I'm from the Midwest and trust me, they do road construction 10 months out of the year. NCDoT is run by idiots down here. Poor planning and zero idea of how to manage their vendors.
Even if they didn't work with the concrete there must be other work that can be done like hard-pack, etc. To completely stop is perposterious. But seriously, whenever I drove through the area I never noticed any construction going on. Another example, in Statesville the interchange at 40 is a deserted no mans land. Why aren't they working nights and weekends there, or on 485, and how about 85 for that matter? 10 years and county on 485 is nonsense. There should be hell to pay

Old 10-26-2014, 09:04 PM

85 posts, read 139,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
Even if they didn't work with the concrete there must be other work that can be done like hard-pack, etc. To completely stop is perposterious. But seriously, whenever I drove through the area I never noticed any construction going on. Another example, in Statesville the interchange at 40 is a deserted no mans land. Why aren't they working nights and weekends there, or on 485, and how about 85 for that matter? 10 years and county on 485 is nonsense. There should be hell to pay
Agreed! In the last yea --r the ONLY night work I've seen is on the 485 -- I85 interchange and that was just the past month. It's like they're taking pride in how slowly they can roll this out. Just the mallard creek road project hasn't had any work done on it since they opened the west side bridge back in March. What the actual f#ck??

Old 10-26-2014, 10:34 PM

9 posts, read 17,003 times
Quote:
THIS

Yeah it mentioned in the article in the OP that if it gets delayed again the construction company could face fines, but that for now they've been granted an extension (and this delay will most likely cost taxpayers). Which leads me to believe that even if it does get delayed again they'd just give them an extension again...
Don't think so. Apparently this delay was not the fault of the contractor, but rather the State's failure to timely secure permits.

I-485 Outer Loop completion in Mecklenburg delayed until spring | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 AM

11 posts, read 13,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I agree 100% with this statement. After the concrete pavement is complete the work following typically includes permanent pavement markings, signage, final seeding / cleanup, backfilling slopes and shoulders etc. until the work is substantially completed and can be opened to the public for it's intended use.

I do not believe the contractor planned on paving in the winter months as the specifications for the job include seasonal restrictions that are built into the baseline schedule unless there is approval from the RCE.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,221,387 times
I remember the concrete issues that Lane experienced on the section of 85 north near Salisbury a few years back. If the temperatures and mix aren't right and you push it, the surface will be awful and flaking. I believe they patched and repaired alot of it, but the quality was bad.....

Probably a good idea to hold off to pave the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte