Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times

Advertisements

Work continues on the new Gaston County weigh station. From the look of what they are doing it will be the biggest weigh station in existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 24,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
The contractor is not putting down asphalt. The contractor is putting down concrete, despite what Channel 36, NBC in Charlotte is reporting. If they looked at their video, they would see concrete.

From my travels *north* of the Mason-Dixon line bi-weekly for 7 years, construction on major projects wind down pretty quickly around the 1st of October. I cite the D.C., VA, MD beltway as a prime example. The contractors do not put down concrete once the temperature reaches a certain point.

Unless we are ready to see a major overhaul of the new road once it is down, we need to stand down on decisions made in our (taxpayer's) best interest.

AND, thank you for your service to your country.
In fairness, I did see them lay asphalt inbetween the dirt and the concrete. I suspect they would be doing the same thing where the 'temporary concrete factory' currently resides at the Prosperity Church Rd. bridge.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 13,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdotking View Post
In fairness, I did see them lay asphalt inbetween the dirt and the concrete. I suspect they would be doing the same thing where the 'temporary concrete factory' currently resides at the Prosperity Church Rd. bridge.
You are correct, it is an asphalt base course with a concrete surface course above.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:17 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,980,543 times
I remember in 1987 Jim Martin pushed to have I-40 completed between Raleigh and I-85 so it could be an election-year accomplishment to crow about in 1988. They poured through the winter when weather permitted, and it got done.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 PM

747 posts, read 2,106,212 times
So if they have to wait for warmer weather, doesn't that mean they would start up again in the Spring? Which means they wouldn't be done in the Spring. Maybe late Summer? I drive through that mess twice a day, 5 days a week. Crazy!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:42 AM

43 posts, read 118,477 times
From living in Charlotte the past four years and living in Raleigh before that for 15 years, I have to say that I am totally stumped at how Raleigh's roads are built in no time and Charlotte has yet to have the beltway completed! Ridiculous! When I lived in Raleigh roads were approved and went up in no time. Yes, Raleigh is growing like Charlotte, but hello...., Charlotte is the 17th largest Metro in the nation and we still have TWO lane roads coming into the city (i.e. I77 South). Why on Earth was I485 ever designed in the beginning with two lanes on each side. Meanwhile, I540 has at least three to four in Raleigh. I can see now why folks in Charlotte always complained about Raleigh's perfect roads.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:14 AM

235 posts, read 307,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeleven View Post
Don't think so. Apparently this delay was not the fault of the contractor, but rather the State's failure to timely secure permits.

I-485 Outer Loop completion in Mecklenburg delayed until spring | CharlotteObserver.com
Sounds like the State is blaming the the Federal Government....

Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesideout View Post
From living in Charlotte the past four years and living in Raleigh before that for 15 years, I have to say that I am totally stumped at how Raleigh's roads are built in no time and Charlotte has yet to have the beltway completed! Ridiculous! When I lived in Raleigh roads were approved and went up in no time. Yes, Raleigh is growing like Charlotte, but hello...., Charlotte is the 17th largest Metro in the nation and we still have TWO lane roads coming into the city (i.e. I77 South). Why on Earth was I485 ever designed in the beginning with two lanes on each side. Meanwhile, I540 has at least three to four in Raleigh. I can see now why folks in Charlotte always complained about Raleigh's perfect roads.

Right I just don't say anything anymore. Charlotte is growing faster then Raleigh but they still choke us when it comes to roads. 74 isnt a freeway to union county and they really do need one. 77 shouldve been 5 lanes throughout charlotte. You know what I don't care anymore because charlotte is still great and people are still moving here. I'll just deal with the traffic woes that comes with it. It still isn't as bad as people make it so whatever. I'm from LA and I love it here.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Brilliant move by Anthony Foxx if that the case, in fact he should use it leverage in keeping the airport under city control.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:51 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
Sounds like the State is blaming the the Federal Government....

LOL, Then it's the fault of Anthony Foxx, former mayor of Charlotte who heads the US DOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte