Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy907 View Post
Thanks everyone. I looked at the Greenway area apartments and we found one we like at a rent just below what I was looking to pay. But according to hopstop, while it's a 20 minute drive a midnight, it's close to an hr by car or bus during high traffic times. Which is more time than I would prefer to spend commuting. We also looked at South Park. The rent is more in the 1600 to 1800 range which is above what I would like to spend but if it's as nice as people say, perhaps it makes sense. Any idea of what the commuting time is like from SP? I will look into some of the other areas mentioned as well. Also, someone mentioned trying to be near the Lynx. Are there any good neighborhoods in that area that don't have really high rent?

Thanks so much for the info.
You do not want to be along the Lynx line - the apts that are decent are mostly young professionals, not family oriented.

I highly recommend South Park - great commute to uptown, safe, lots of areas to walk, including the mall on bad weather days.

Look at Alexander Place for starters. You might also like 1420 Magnolia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 05:16 PM

18 posts, read 23,969 times
Folks often overlook the Steele Creek area in Southwest Charlotte. It's a relatively safe and pleasant area with a wealth of development coming its way. It an approximate 30-40 minute commute to downtown/uptown Charlotte and unlike other areas of town - there are multiple routes to get there. The commute is terrible from South Charlotte i.e. Ballantyne area and south or anything that would take you along Independence Blvd, Monroe Road, or the Huntersville and Cornellius areas.

I live in Steele Creek and generally took the Charlotte Area Transportation System's (CATS) Express bus service to and from uptown. It picked up near S. Tryon and Steele Creek (Hwy 160). The route generally took about 45 minutes at 6:30AM (i prefer to get to the office early and beat the general rush-hour traffic).

There are parks in the area, but I'm not sure about a 4 mile run. In any event I've lived in the area for years and am fond of it. It's doesn't have the cachet of other areas, but is a pleasant place to live and newer communities and amenities are popping up all the time. And it doesn't come with the $$$ premium you'll pay for those areas.

Just one man's opinion.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 AM

13 posts, read 25,484 times
Strawberry Hill on Providence. I am not entirely sure on rent, but it is a very family friendly complex and there are sidewalks everywhere for running. It is in Southpark which is a great area, and the commute into uptown is a straight shot on Providence (and in theory should fit your 30 minute criteria). I know many families who rented there for a year when they first moved to Charlotte.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:40 PM

482 posts, read 945,486 times
I would look at Arydsley or however you spell it. It's on S. Tryon. Straight shot. Same thing with Whitehall Estates, Courtney Oaks, Hideaway Lake The Pavillon on S. Tryon...there are a bunch of apartment complexes nearby. STAY AWAY from Century Parkside. Another nice one is Citiview. It's on Tyvola. Brand spanking new...your wife would have plenty of place to walk and run.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM

72 posts, read 89,518 times
Thanks everyone. I know I haven't posted in a while, but I have looked into every suggestion you guys have mentioned. We still haven't decided on a place but we are trying to make a list.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:00 PM

33 posts, read 86,110 times
I just sent you a private message. We have a home for sale in Mint Hill. Great little area tucked away, but just a short drive into the city.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:32 PM

143 posts, read 481,580 times
@ORoss, I too am relocating, and have looked in Steele Creeke as I have friends that live there. My gripe witih Steele Creeke is the schools. Not that great for what I can tell; otherwise I did like the area.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiheaven View Post
@ORoss, I too am relocating, and have looked in Steele Creeke as I have friends that live there. My gripe witih Steele Creeke is the schools. Not that great for what I can tell; otherwise I did like the area.
If you can get your kids in magnet/stem then it is okay but West Meck is not somewhere I would want to send my kids I agree. The other high school I have not heard much about something Olympic, so can't help there.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM

Schools will continue to improve within the Steele Creek area as development progresses. Southwest Charlotte is the fastest growing area in the county. Winget Park Elementary opened a few years ago. Palisades Elementary on S. Tryon opened this past school year. A new high school is also planned for the area. Magnets are certainly an option as well.

You'll often here of communities; such as, Ballantyne, Dilworth, Myers Park, etc. They're a different breed altogether and a much different price point each with it's own pros and cons. Myers Park and Dilworth are outside of my price point per square foot. Ballantyne simple doesn't appeal to me. People tend to be drawn they've heard it's the prominent section of town. In my opinion, traffic is horrible, the community is too structured, the housing stock is dated in design, and their aren't good transportation options until you make your way to the light rail station. Not to mention the same home can easily cost $20K more in some cases as was my situation.

Redistricting of school boundaries and overcrowding have also been a major topic over the years in the area.

Dilworth and Myers park are beautiful neighborhoods with excellent schools within the confines of the center city. Challenge there is again $/sq. ft. You'll pay $$$ to live there. If it were in my family's budget - we'd be there; alas, it isn't.

Steele Creek just had the right appeal or me. There are school options and the area is continuing to grow. Schools will continue to grow as well. In the end, I think any public education (or private for that matter) is what you make of it and any parent will augment that learning with additional teaching and exposure to ensure his/her child receives a balanced experience that keeps him on par with others.

There has been an explosion of development along Steele Creek Rd near the new outlet mall and surrounding the intersection of Steele Creek and S. Tryon. New residential communities (apartments, single-family detached, and townhomes) are being developed throughout the area. There are also multiple transportation options and routes to Uptown Charlotte and surrounding areas that you don't find in South Charlotte (Ballantyne/Union County) and definitely not East Charlotte. The proximity to the airport is also a plus. And, I don't mind living 5 minutes from the lake.

In the end, its a personal decision filled with choices and we've got to do what's best for our own circumstances. I moved to Charlotte 14 years ago and can confirm its a comfortable place to live.

Last edited by ORoss; 11-19-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Schools will continue to improve within the Steele Creek area as development progresses. Southwest Charlotte is the fastest growing area in the county. Winget Park Elementary opened a few years ago. Palisades Elementary on S. Tryon opened this past school year. A new high school is also planned for the area. Magnets are certainly an option as well.

You'll often here of communities; such as, Ballantyne, Dilworth, Myers Park, etc. They're a different breed altogether and a much different price point each with it's own pros and cons. Myers Park and Dilworth are outside of my price point per square foot. Ballantyne simple doesn't appeal to me. People tend to be drawn they've heard it's the prominent section of town. In my opinion, traffic is horrible, the community is too structured, the housing stock is dated in design, and their aren't good transportation options until you make your way to the light rail station. Not to mention the same home can easily cost $20K more in some cases as was my situation.

Redistricting of school boundaries and overcrowding have also been a major topic over the years in the area.

Dilworth and Myers park are beautiful neighborhoods with excellent schools within the confines of the center city. Challenge there is again $/sq. ft. You'll pay $$$ to live there. If it were in my family's budget - we'd be there; alas, it isn't.

Steele Creek just had the right appeal or me. There are school options and the area is continuing to grow. Schools will continue to grow as well. In the end, I think any public education (or private for that matter) is what you make of it and any parent will augment that learning with additional teaching and exposure to ensure his/her child receives a balanced experience that keeps him on par with others.

There has been an explosion of development along Steele Creek Rd near the new outlet mall and surrounding the intersection of Steele Creek and S. Tryon. New residential communities (apartments, single-family detached, and townhomes) are being developed throughout the area. There are also multiple transportation options and routes to Uptown Charlotte and surrounding areas that you don't find in South Charlotte (Ballantyne/Union County) and definitely not East Charlotte. The proximity to the airport is also a plus. And, I don't mind living five minutes from Lake Wylie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte