Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,921,444 times

Advertisements

The only problem with "invaders" coming to my neighborhood by the van load, is the lack of courtesy these drivers have for neighborhood residents. They park anywhere they want (even on both sides of a narrow neighborhood road), they block the roads as they shadow their kids going house to house from their cars, etc.

It's a big safety hazard when you're trying to come home from work or dinner in the evening. But like others said, it's only one night per year.

I'll live with it, but I just wish these people would use their heads a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 06:05 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In my former neighborhood, we blocked several streets off to through traffic. Brilliant idea and it worked so much better for safety reasons.

How did they block the streets off? With cars? Speaking of safety, hopefully the car owners stayed nearby in case any emergency vehicles needed to come through...

Old 11-01-2014, 12:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Hundreds of kids on my street in Highland Creek tonight. My kids love it, so do I. I could care less if people drive up and park. When we got tired of giving out candy, we put on the porch in a bowl.

It is the only nigt of the year where it feels like a great big block party. Go Highland Creek! Go Us!
Great post! I have always heard what a fun neighborhood Highland Creek is to live in

Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
How did they block the streets off? With cars? Speaking of safety, hopefully the car owners stayed nearby in case any emergency vehicles needed to come through...
Blocked with cones . . . two feeder streets that go into cul-de-sacs . . . and with permission from local PD and consent from all neighbors on the streets . . . HOA activities (chili cook off).

Old 11-02-2014, 12:44 PM

26 posts, read 53,751 times
I live in Arizona (am interested in possibly relocating to Charlotte), but I can tell you that where I live, in my neighborhood, hardly anyone celebrates Halloween. I'm not sure if it's due to the demographic or what, so this year my cousin and I drove our kids to our former neighborhood to go trick-or-treating, where many people there celebrate and pass out candy. I really don't see how it's a problem? Trick-or-treating is supposed to be a fun tradition, anyhow, and it's no fun if nobody in your neighborhood even celebrates it. It seems like many people in NC celebrate the holidays compared to where I live now.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:13 PM

385 posts, read 730,240 times
Obviously the OP has some anger management issues and needs to work on his/her delivery.

That being said, I was a little taken back on the large droves of trick'or'treaters came to our neighborhood. We don't live in a million dollar mansion neighborhood, but it's definitely upper/middle class (us being on the low end ).

The kids were really great... well the youngins were. But I couldn't help notice that a lot of the parents and older teenagers were a little disappointing. A couple times I saw moms grabbing candy to put in there purses- no thank you or any manners.

I saw one lady in a scooter who was making a scene that she deserved candy. And lots of littering, not just on the streets, but in peoples' yards. How can you throw trash in someone's yard right after they gave you candy???

We got home around 8pm and made sure to keep the lights off- since we didn't plan to give out candy (we went to a block party with treats). But that didn't stop older kids from ringing the doorbell. I came to the door once (grabbed some my kid's candy) and when I opened the door there was a teenager standing there with no costume and a book bag and just looked at me. I told him we didn't have any candy, but gave him some of my son's. He just took it and walked off.

If it wasn't for the storms, I suspect we'd have gotten more.

It was a sad scene- these folks don't live in neighborhoods that give candy- and it's safer to come here. But I wish they had the decency to know how to act.

I'm not judging or trying to look down at less fortunate folks, but it's hard not to notice. Then again, I'm lucky- I was raised with 2 parents and I'm a white male. I pretty much won the lottery.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM

401 posts, read 657,273 times
If I had kids, i'd take them trick or treating to southpark. Eno said.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:52 PM

488 posts, read 799,329 times
When I lived in Highland Creek we had kids come from a poor area to Trick or Treat. For the 8 years those kids came (the 8 we lived there) and they were the nicest kids. I remember one boy peeking into my 2000 sq ft house and calling it a mansion. It was the highlight of Halloween when those families came. The politest children who were genuinely grateful and their parents were happy their kids were SAFE.

One of the things I miss about the neighborhood. I still wonder how the kids are - I loved watching them grow up and they always got way more candy then the neighborhood kids

Old 11-02-2014, 06:14 PM

401 posts, read 657,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
When I lived in Highland Creek we had kids come from a poor area to Trick or Treat. For the 8 years those kids came (the 8 we lived there) and they were the nicest kids. I remember one boy peeking into my 2000 sq ft house and calling it a mansion. It was the highlight of Halloween when those families came. The politest children who were genuinely grateful and their parents were happy their kids were SAFE.

One of the things I miss about the neighborhood. I still wonder how the kids are - I loved watching them grow up and they always got way more candy then the neighborhood kids
500 square feet from being a Castle if it was located in Fayetteville.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:02 AM

488 posts, read 799,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
500 square feet from being a Castle if it was located in Fayetteville.
I found it humbling to be honest. It was a starter home for goodness sake but to these kids it was so much more. They had a chance to SAFELY go from house to house and just be normal for a night. One mom told me that in their area it was not good to be out after dark. They were a great group of kids and anyone who would be angry about something like this honestly needs to learn about compassion.

Memories I still treasure, they gave ME more than I certainly gave them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte