Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:58 AM

87 posts, read 138,077 times

Advertisements

We may be moving for a job transfer to this area. The job would be in Davidson. But where we would live? I'm lost. We do not want to be in a subdivision. We want to be further out in the country but still not have a terrible commute to Davidson. Anyone know a good area? A family member suggested Lincolnton but that seems like it might be too far. Any suggestions? We want at the very minimum 2 acres of land. Schools are a consideration too because we have 2 teenagers and a 2 yr old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:51 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Not exactly sure about the schools (it's basically 3 different counties) but I'd think the general area between I-77, I-85 Route 3 and US-70 should have a fair amount of options.

As you alluded to, being west of Lake Norman might not be a great commute. You may also want to avoid an I-77 commute if possible but if you don't mind some traffic you could probably be even north of I-40 and still be within about 45 minutes of Davidson.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen516 View Post
We may be moving for a job transfer to this area. The job would be in Davidson. But where we would live? I'm lost. We do not want to be in a subdivision. We want to be further out in the country but still not have a terrible commute to Davidson. Anyone know a good area? A family member suggested Lincolnton but that seems like it might be too far. Any suggestions? We want at the very minimum 2 acres of land. Schools are a consideration too because we have 2 teenagers and a 2 yr old.
What is your budget?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:09 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen516 View Post
I think you could live in....Davidson. There are properties that are literally 2-3 minutes from downtown Davidson that meet your stated requirements.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What is your budget?
300k or less

Old 01-05-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I think you could live in....Davidson. There are properties that are literally 2-3 minutes from downtown Davidson that meet your stated requirements.
I don't think we could afford what we want in Davidson. We probably could, but we don't like to be house-poor. I could be wrong though, I haven't looked at Zillow in awhile to see what is available. We haven't considered buying land & building either. Not sure if Davidson would be good for that.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:30 PM

Well, fast-forward a little and this job transfer is looking more likely and now we have decided to rent and then find land and build. Easier said than done. We like Mooresville area but I'm afraid of hubby having a terrible commute. I've found land in Sherrills Ford and Troutman as well. I'm almost wondering would it be a better commute to aim for the Iron Station or Lincolnton area since he would be driving away from Charlotte in the mornings? Any input on that? I keep reading about how bad I-77 is in the mornings headed toward Charlotte. Are they going to expand this in the near future? Hubby says he would rather drive for a half hour than do stop & go for a half hour.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:22 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
If you live east of 77 in Mooresville you shouldn't need to use 77 to get to Davidson, and the commute shouldn't really be more than like 25 minutes at worst. I'd much rather commute from Mooresville to Davidson than from Iron Station.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:05 AM

Yeah last night he told me it would be just as bad to come from the Iron Station area. So now we are thinking about Concord. He says he can avoid 77 if he's coming from Concord, or one of those areas directly east of Davidson. Do you all think commuting from Concord or east somewhere would be worse than coming from east of Mooresville?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM

It's funny, I have to say I thought Concord was some little po-dunk town until I started researching it last night. I've only been to Charlotte a couple times and I'm totally unfamiliar with the area even though I lived in NC for 10 years at one point (Asheville). Moved away from there in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte