Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:58 AM

533 posts, read 935,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoNC2014 View Post
I'll be working mostly from home. So commute isn't an issue.
Move out to the county then. Get a nice house on a few acres of land. Why would you to live side by side with 29849274 other lemmings packed like sardines in Ballantyne? People and traffic is hell out there. There is no culture, no identity - other than go go go and buy buy buy. Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 08:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoNC2014 View Post
I'll be working mostly from home. So commute isn't an issue. Mint hill neighborhoods were beautiful but the surrounding areas seemed so rural and sparse, maybe we just didn't see enough of the town, not really sure. Are there any areas that have a cute Main Street area? We've also heard that Huntersville is nice, but we haven't seen it yet. Our budget wouldn't land us in the country club or dillworth but seems to apply to everything else. We are most interested in making a good decision on the area... Thanks everyone!
Cute Main St - Davidson, Matthews, Mooresville, not Ballantyne

Mint Hill is more suburban for sure, but that's what most of us like about it, that feeling of being in the country. It's got a fantastic elementary school though, and easy access to I485 for getting around the county.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:35 PM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
Check out Blakeney shopping center. While not a "main street"...it has a lot and the section in the corner has a lot of neat little stores to walk around. There are a lot of developments near Blakeney in your price range that would give you the more rural feel while only being 5-10 minutes from major shopping.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Check out Blakeney shopping center. While not a "main street"...it has a lot and the section in the corner has a lot of neat little stores to walk around. There are a lot of developments near Blakeney in your price range that would give you the more rural feel while only being 5-10 minutes from major shopping.
I live near Blakeney... where are the rural feeling places 5-10 minutes away? Are you talking about Indian Land or Marvin/Union county? Ballantyne/Blakeney are the last two places when I think rural.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 PM
H22

42 posts, read 101,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If saving on state taxes is appealing, Baxter village in Fort Mill.
Are state (income) taxes lower in SC? I thought they were lower in NC? I believe property taxes are lower in SC.

I wonder which state/county offer the lowest overall tax burden?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:12 PM

18 posts, read 23,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Move out to the county then. Get a nice house on a few acres of land. Why would you to live side by side with 29849274 other lemmings packed like sardines in Ballantyne? People and traffic is hell out there. There is no culture, no identity - other than go go go and buy buy buy. Just my .02
Agreed. Ballantyne is overrated. I personally like Steele Creek; although, schools are its current issue, but improving. Ballantyne lives on in name only. It lacks charm, has all the congestion, and lacks easy access to downtown Charlotte or major interstates in the area beyond 485. Ballantyne Commons and Johnston Rd / Lancaster Highway would make one heck of a main street though.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:52 PM

143 posts, read 481,193 times
@ORoss, I really like Steele Creek. The schools is what's keeping me out.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:04 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
It really depends on what you are looking for in a location. If you want a cute little downtown area, then no, Ballantyne is not quaint and cute, although you can head over to Pineville or Fort Mill nearby to see some cute stores.

Ballantyne has top schools, great housing opportunities (not just country club!), restaurants, shops, stores, theaters, greenways, gyms, pretty much anything you'd need. Yes, it's busy and crowded. But then again so is Steele Creek during prime traffic times. And Matthews. And Mint Hill.

This whole area is building up.

We've lived in Ballantyne for the past almost six years, and the biggest complaint I'd have is that I wish it was more walkable like Dilworth or other closer areas downtown. But we can't afford Dilworth And we can drive there if we want to hit the Sugar Creek Greenway or other downtown locations.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:35 PM

18 posts, read 23,949 times
Traffic can be cumbersome at times in Steele Creek; however, there are multiple ways in an out of the area. The same isn't true within the Ballantyne area. Johnston Road is the primary artery. Steele Creek has S. Tryon, Steele Creek Rd, Shopton Rd and connectors to/from each with easy access to 485, 85, and 77. I can be Uptown within 40 minutes on a weekday and less than 30 earlier in the rush hour or weekends.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:49 PM

488 posts, read 798,535 times
I loathe Ballantyne - too many people, horrible traffic. My husband commuted to that area for 8 years and it was awful. As more companies and people move into the area the traffic to me is unbearable.

Huntersville is lovely (where I live) but to me Davidson is the best suburban area. But people love Ballantyne so I guess it has its charm although I do not get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte