Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 08:51 AM

248 posts, read 535,105 times

Advertisements

We have researched the Raleigh area for years now. Visited twice, and really love the Apex, Cary, Holly Springs area. But just never been able to get a job there. So I'm starting to think we should broaden our search to the Charlotte area too. I've started researching online, and these are the towns that interest me so far. Mooresville, Matthews, Waxhaw, and Fort Mill. Schools are very important. I have 2 young kids, and one with special needs. I hoping to be able to plan a visit during spring break time, but until then have to keep researching on the internet. Are there any towns (such as Cary), that are know to have a lot of NY/NJ transplants? I want to feel like we fit in, but trust me, I don't have that loud, stereotypical, northeast attitude. We work in the medical imaging field, and I just want a safe, family friendly town to raise the kids, and where I can afford. House price range would be from $175,000 to $250,000. Would like to be close to some shopping and restaurants. Don't care much about nightlife, but don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere either. And it's sounds silly, but me and my son are a bit worried about tornados! So any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
This thread just posted, we get lots and lots of similar threads. But here's the most recent: //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...northeast.html

i also want to mention, depends on the special needs, the CMS schools in Charlotte are quite lacking in that department. Severely lacking in some areas of Special Needs than others. If you are really dedicated to your child's education, you will hate it. I would advise looking into private school options for your child if you move here.

Jobs are harder to find here than Raleigh. People actually get recommended to go to Raleigh for jobs. I guess it's "bad" in both places. Once you find your job and know your budget, then suggestions can be made to fit your want list.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak9210 View Post
We have researched the Raleigh area for years now. Visited twice, and really love the Apex, Cary, Holly Springs area. But just never been able to get a job there. So I'm starting to think we should broaden our search to the Charlotte area too. I've started researching online, and these are the towns that interest me so far. Mooresville, Matthews, Waxhaw, and Fort Mill. Schools are very important. I have 2 young kids, and one with special needs. I hoping to be able to plan a visit during spring break time, but until then have to keep researching on the internet. Are there any towns (such as Cary), that are know to have a lot of NY/NJ transplants? I want to feel like we fit in, but trust me, I don't have that loud, stereotypical, northeast attitude. We work in the medical imaging field, and I just want a safe, family friendly town to raise the kids, and where I can afford. House price range would be from $175,000 to $250,000. Would like to be close to some shopping and restaurants. Don't care much about nightlife, but don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere either. And it's sounds silly, but me and my son are a bit worried about tornados! So any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
North Jersey or South Jersey?

Carolina Healthcare System is throughout the area. Picking a town before getting a job could be a huge mistake. Gaston Memorial Hospital is operated by a different company. Presbyterian Hospital belongs to a different healthcare system there are several hospitals connected to that system.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Just being honest...I wouldn't spend too much time investigating towns and visiting until you actually secure a job.

Once you do, you can get great recommendations here for areas to look at near your new job location.

You simply do not want to plan to live in say Mooresville and then find a job in Ballantyne. Charlotte and its metro is VERY spread out and you could be setting yourself up for an hour or more commute by deciding where to live BEFORE you find a job.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:08 AM

33 posts, read 86,063 times
Mint Hill is a nice town just outside of Charlotte, but tucked away enough to feel 'out of the way.' I'll send you some information, and I don't think you'd have trouble finding a job here if you are in healthcare. I too am from up North 9Philly area) and this area has plenty of transplants! Best Wishes on your journey!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:55 PM

135 posts, read 195,437 times
Quote:
I know that there was a tornado up around the Harrisburg area about 2 years ago that did some damage - but other than that I haven't heard of one in the 7 years that I've lived here. I'm originally from Hunterdon County, NJ & now live in Fort Mill and we absolutely love it here. The schools are fantastic, easy commute to the airport and uptown, low property taxes, and plenty of shopping and restaurants around. I don't think that you'll have any problem adjusting - I don't think that I have a native Charlottean on my entire street - it's a very transient area and people are generally much nicer than up North so making friends is EASY. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte