Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Most of the apartments around uptown and SouthEnd are pretty new. So while you may end up paying more, those areas have basically the most expensive apartments in Charlotte. But I'd imagine the apartment would be nicer, and you'd probably actually have a bedroom
You'd be surprised how many older (1 bedroom) apartments out in other areas are now commanding closer to $1000. Rents have been rising every year for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 PM

373 posts, read 778,568 times
Thank you for considering Charlotte to move to.
It is a very nice city.
We appreciate those who come here and contribute to our community.

A few things:
- I got the impression from your OP that you have the job here in Charlotte secured.
I hope that is the case.
If you do not have an iron clad job ready and waiting for you when you get here, I don't think your experience here will be good.
This can also leave you with a bad impression of Charlotte in the long run.
We have been hit extremely hard by the bad economy and we are far from back to normal.
This is true of about every city n America.
So make sure the job is secured before choosing to come here.

- Not having a car when moving to a new city is typically just a bad idea.
Charlotte is a car city. It is built around diving everywhere you go.
If your job is downtown, and you can find accommodations for a reasonable rate in the downtown area, then great.
Should you choose to live a few miles out of downtown and take the bus to work, good luck.
The Charlotte bus system is not great.
Probably not as bad as other cities, but something to consider.
I would say if you take the bus in Charlotte, stay within 3 miles of the majority of your travels.
More than 3 miles, and it can take hours to get there.
Between bus schedules, late buses, buses that just do not show up, weekend schedules, holiday schedules, closing out times, and weather delays due to icy road conditions in winter time, who knows what can happen.

- Rent prices in Charlotte are high, as well as over-all real estate prices.
I am sure less than NY, but more than you may expect.
You may not find a suitable apartment nor area for your budget, but you might.
Make sure to do your research and fully educate yourself as to what is available and what exactly you are getting.

- Bad cops are everywhere.
I am sure we have a few here.
My experience with CMPD has been mostly positive.
You can always find some jerk in any position of power, so keep that in mind.
If you are not breaking any laws, you usually have nothing to worry about.
Unfortunately, life is not always fair, and an occasional undeserved hardship can happen to someone.

Charlotte is a young city, compared to historical cities in America.
We have tried to grow in the right direction.
No city can bat a thousand and it is not perfect anywhere.
I do think about anywhere would be better than NY city to live.

So, let us know how it all turns out for you.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:31 AM

363 posts, read 444,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
hi,

I am moving from NYC to Charlotte to work in the financial industry. As you can tell from my tag, I do not want to live in NYC anymore as it is far too corrupt. In NYC, the cops kills people and there is no punishment; only the taxpayers get punished when the family files a lawsuit. I don't want this thread to turn into Michael Brown; however, about 3-4 incidents a year like that occur in NYC. There were two recently: one guy was selling cigarettes individually on the street and was put into a chokehold by police and died. A teen who live in public housing was shot and killed in a stairwell. Apparently, the lights were off in the stairwell and the cop had his hand on the trigger the whole time. Very sad. I don't want to pay taxes in NYC anymore.

Also, I grew up in a small town in MA and I ave small town values. I have lived in NYC for a while (11 years) and have decided it is time to leave.

Apparently, the situation could work out in my favor as I will be making more money ($30k more) and will hopefully have less expenses (one of the questions).

I owned an apt. in Brooklyn which I sold 6 months ago so I could leave the city. I am currently paying a little more than $1,000/month to rent a studio apt. in Brooklyn.

Here are my questions:

1. I don't have a car and I will need to live close to the downtown area so I can be within walking distance to work. How much will the rent be approximately?

2. I might attend an online Masters program in Accounting through UNC-Chapel Hill. How far away will I be from Chapel Hill? I would like to attend some sporting events there. I did come down recently to see the Duke vs. UNC football game but did not get a chance to see Charlotte. There was a fight at the game where a guy looked like he had his nose broken, hopefully that is not indicative of the overall Carolina experience.

3. Are there social activities in downtown Charlotte or does the city shutdown after 5PM. Boston was like that.

4. Are most of the people married? I am single with no children. I am 35 years old.

5. What is the weather like? Is it overly humid? I would hope the humidity is not as bad as in NYC. This past summer in NYC there was no heat wave which was great. Does it ever snow in Charlotte?

6. One of the things about NYC I like is I am able to earn certificates at NYU's School of Professional Studies. For example, if I wanted to learn programming, I can enroll in a certificate program for object oriented programming at NYU. Are there opportunities like that in Charlotte?

7. What grocery stores are available? Is there a Whole Foods in downtown Charlotte?

Thanks for your help.
1: If you want to live Uptown, $1500 is pretty much the starting point. You can live further away and take the lightrail in, but you will still be looking at $1000+
2: 2.5/3 hrs
3: Gets quieter after 5, but there is still stuff going on.
4: Id say average with anywhere else
5: Pretty hot in the summers, snows maybe a few times a year.
6: I am unsure
7: No whole foods downtown.. just a harris teeter.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 AM

140 posts, read 169,936 times
Quote:

Here are my questions:

1. I don't have a car and I will need to live close to the downtown area so I can be within walking distance to work. How much will the rent be approximately?

2. I might attend an online Masters program in Accounting through UNC-Chapel Hill. How far away will I be from Chapel Hill? I would like to attend some sporting events there. I did come down recently to see the Duke vs. UNC football game but did not get a chance to see Charlotte. There was a fight at the game where a guy looked like he had his nose broken, hopefully that is not indicative of the overall Carolina experience.

3. Are there social activities in downtown Charlotte or does the city shutdown after 5PM. Boston was like that.

4. Are most of the people married? I am single with no children. I am 35 years old.

5. What is the weather like? Is it overly humid? I would hope the humidity is not as bad as in NYC. This past summer in NYC there was no heat wave which was great. Does it ever snow in Charlotte?

6. One of the things about NYC I like is I am able to earn certificates at NYU's School of Professional Studies. For example, if I wanted to learn programming, I can enroll in a certificate program for object oriented programming at NYU. Are there opportunities like that in Charlotte?

7. What grocery stores are available? Is there a Whole Foods in downtown Charlotte?

Thanks for your help.
1. Studios start around $1k, and nicer places, like Avenue, Vue, Catalyst, etc will be more expensive since they are nicer/trendier. There is a lot of construction going on, so maybe South End (South Blvd) can be cheaper and you can ride the Lynx in.
2. Not sure.
3. Yes. Not all the time, and not very late (bar time is 2am) but yes, there are clubs, festivals, a handful of parades, restaurant weeks, etc.
4. Not the best city for singles but they are out there (ready to get a ring on their finger)
5. Mild/warm. Yes to humidity. Snows once in a while, very light. Ice is what we hate.
6. Yes. Wake Forest has their MBA school, plus other options to research: UNCC, Winthrop, Wingate, CPCC, etc.
7. Only Whole Foods is in Southpark and it was just built. There is a Harris Teeter off 5th. We also have Earth Fare and Fresh Market in the suburbs.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
A lot of your questions can be answered by checking City-data's own Charlotte page.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:23 AM

28 posts, read 41,246 times
Being from New York, you're going to miss real bagels down here and small markets. Forget Whole Foods, way over priced. Try a small gourmet seafood market in Southpark called the carolina Fish Market. It's a cool shop, like you're used to. Carolina Fish Market | Charlotte, NC | Southpark | Ballantyne | Meat market | Gourmet Store

Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 PM

371 posts, read 526,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider112 View Post
Being from New York, you're going to miss real bagels down here and small markets. Forget Whole Foods, way over priced. Try a small gourmet seafood market in Southpark called the carolina Fish Market. It's a cool shop, like you're used to. Carolina Fish Market | Charlotte, NC | Southpark | Ballantyne | Meat market | Gourmet Store
its ok as I do not eat bagels . . . . its all the fat and calories of three egg mcmuffins

Old 12-02-2014, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,956 times
I'm going to be as general as I can! I moved from NYC to Charlotte about 18 months ago, I wasn't informed of certain factors, you will be in an apartment and they will raise it drastically by the next lease renewal. I got a 215.00 increased from one year to the next, so now I'm paying $1,000.00+ I live in the mint hill area, not all is cracked up to be. I rather be in Brooklyn, they are certain things that I didn't experience in NY that I'm experiencing here. Southern Hospitality...don't expect any, not everyone is friendly, no different than NY. Groceries are expensive, stick with TRADER JOES, BJs, COSTCO or SAM'S because your regular FoodLion, Harris Teeter or BiLo is pricey. I'm actually moving back North, PA or NJ. I didn't have a car before, so the choices to live elsewhere is available. I won't go back to NY, but it will be good to know I can at least go to Manhattan to walk around and go back home. I moved here for a job and they let us all go in 10 months, I'm working at a lower salary and barely maintaining my bills, so I figured if I can keep up with my bills earning 15K less than in NY I will be okay working in NJ and being able to afford any additional things!!! Safe you money while you are here working, so you have the availability to make alternate decisions. I refuse to lie or paint it a nice color for ANYONE! I was convinced that it was paradise, not in my opinion, my daughter is ready to go home, yesterday!!

Old 12-02-2014, 09:51 PM

371 posts, read 526,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diovyt26 View Post
I'm going to be as general as I can! I moved from NYC to Charlotte about 18 months ago, I wasn't informed of certain factors, you will be in an apartment and they will raise it drastically by the next lease renewal. I got a 215.00 increased from one year to the next, so now I'm paying $1,000.00+ I live in the mint hill area, not all is cracked up to be. I rather be in Brooklyn, they are certain things that I didn't experience in NY that I'm experiencing here. Southern Hospitality...don't expect any, not everyone is friendly, no different than NY. Groceries are expensive, stick with TRADER JOES, BJs, COSTCO or SAM'S because your regular FoodLion, Harris Teeter or BiLo is pricey. I'm actually moving back North, PA or NJ. I didn't have a car before, so the choices to live elsewhere is available. I won't go back to NY, but it will be good to know I can at least go to Manhattan to walk around and go back home. I moved here for a job and they let us all go in 10 months, I'm working at a lower salary and barely maintaining my bills, so I figured if I can keep up with my bills earning 15K less than in NY I will be okay working in NJ and being able to afford any additional things!!! Safe you money while you are here working, so you have the availability to make alternate decisions. I refuse to lie or paint it a nice color for ANYONE! I was convinced that it was paradise, not in my opinion, my daughter is ready to go home, yesterday!!
Thanks for your input. It is appreciated. I won't shop at Trader Joe's as they treat their employees like ****. I worked there during the economic downturn and was not a fan of it. I got yelled at for every little thing and I would never work there again.

I guess I won't know until I am actually down there. I was wondering if the higher salary was just a tick to get me down there. I will probably try to get into a sure situation where I don't need to be on a lease. That way I can leave right away or at least be month to month. I can put most of my things into storage here in Brooklyn and basically only take my clothes and ship some things down that I would definitely need.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,956 times
Quote:
hi,

I am moving from NYC to Charlotte to work in the financial industry. As you can tell from my tag, I do not want to live in NYC anymore as it is far too corrupt. In NYC, the cops kills people and there is no punishment; only the taxpayers get punished when the family files a lawsuit. I don't want this thread to turn into Michael Brown; however, about 3-4 incidents a year like that occur in NYC. There were two recently: one guy was selling cigarettes individually on the street and was put into a chokehold by police and died. A teen who live in public housing was shot and killed in a stairwell. Apparently, the lights were off in the stairwell and the cop had his hand on the trigger the whole time. Very sad. I don't want to pay taxes in NYC anymore.

Also, I grew up in a small town in MA and I ave small town values. I have lived in NYC for a while (11 years) and have decided it is time to leave.

Apparently, the situation could work out in my favor as I will be making more money ($30k more) and will hopefully have less expenses (one of the questions).

I owned an apt. in Brooklyn which I sold 6 months ago so I could leave the city. I am currently paying a little more than $1,000/month to rent a studio apt. in Brooklyn.

Here are my questions:

Thanks for your help.
- The rent will be high, my friend lived in downtown with a roommate. After the one year lease they will increase the rent drastically.

- Chapel Hill is far from downtown, you will need a car. Check CPCC which is not far from downtown and you have the option of taking a bus.

- The have events, they do close early, but not as bad as Boston. Night life didn't attract me, but that's me.

- I had single friends who went on dates. The same rules of safety apply, especially that you don't have transportation, a huge disadvantage.

- The humidity is not bad, this is country and NYC has more trees; the weather is nice, sometimes it rains, gets cold, lately it has been cold, don't get rid of all your coats they will become handy, trust me. If its snows everything stops because they can deal, it is funny!

- Because you are not driving you will have to keep your travels closer to downtown, you might be able to find the same opportunities, but if you could do the NYU courses online, do it!

- Groceries are higher than NY, believe it or not, stick with Trader Joes, BJs, Costco or SAMs. Most of the local supermarkets are a bit pricey, you need to really wait for the sales. I've seen ladies with some serious coupon cutting, I mean alphabetize binders!!

Thanks for your help.
You are welcome

P.S. I'm moving back to NJ or PA, didn't have a great experience, that is me, but I'm not going to paint it colorful if they would have done that for me I would have stayed north, but each experience is different. Southern Hospitality...don't expect much, it is not out there. I wish you the best of luck, safe your money for emergency purposes, God Bless You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte